talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Semi-Final - Arsenal 2-0 Man City - Saturday 18th July, 2020

football forum

Wow wow wow! I wasn't at all confident and said we'd need something special and we just pulled it off. Top performance today, just incredible all round. Hats off to Arteta, spent years under Pep just to become and Mourinho clone haha! 

Anyway massive performance by Luiz today, on his day you cannot fault him he got in the way of everything. Xhaka again having a really good run under Arteta, I've always thought he was a top player but was done with him after the last 7 months of 2019. What a resurgence though. Also AMN came in and done a terrific job, talk of him going but I hope he stays, he has the tools to be a seriously big player for us. Finally Martinez is just superb, you cannot drop him! Leno is going to have to hope his form drops off otherwise he is No. 2.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say time and time again that Luiz is nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be and he's always been an easy target for pundits over the years despite being ever-present in league wins and cup triumphs for us and other teams. I'm not saying that criticism hasn't been justified at points over the years, I'm glad we got rid of him when we did and there's no denying that he can be calamity at times but he's probably deserved more respect from people over the years, particularly the pundits at home. Of course that position he played today suits him a lot better but I have seen him do well in back fours as well. He was a bit up and down in his last season for us, inconsistent and there was the feeling that his best performances were behind him, so it felt like it was the right decision to let him go. Overall, his Chelsea career was generally a very positive one but a shame now he's tainted his reputation by moving to north London.

Anyway, credit to Arteta. The system change has helped them a lot, it's given extra protection to struggling defenders like Luiz and Mustafi and it's given the players clear roles. It's a temporary fix, useful for particular games and moments during the season but it's not sustainable and I'm not suggesting Arteta thinks it is. A lot of the managers at the top clubs have experimented with similar systems over the years in moments and for particular periods. It can sometimes work wonders, take the opposition by surprise and leave them frustrated and left struggling for answers. It works like clockwork, it's very positional and involves a lot of the same patterns over and over. Those goals Arsenal scored today are typical of the system and are goals I've seen us score often in the past when we've used it.

On 18/07/2020 at 22:09, Cicero said:

Thought Xhaka was class 

Been our best player under Arteta. Aubameyang gets the goals but Xhaka is key to our general play whatever we're doing.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived