talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Motives For Supporting A Team

football forum

So first lets get this straight, you can support any club of your choosing. The whole supporting your local team mentality being a must is a myth.

Do you let them pick you, pick them manually, support them locally, support a nearby team, support a team because of it's history, players, nationality of a player, or other.

I ask the question because I am seriously considering getting back into English football. And drop everything and support a team properly. I support York 9 in real time, but have fallen out of favour with Universitario. Napoli I feel I haven't been as invested in recent years (though I still have a soft spot for them). So I'm looking to start from scratch. I miss supporting a team.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Family. 

Is it not best for you to stick it through with York 9? Stick with them as your team? 

Every person has a different motive so I'm stuck as to why you think how we find our motives to support a team will help you? 

13 minutes ago, Mpache said:

And drop everything and support a team properly. I support York 9 in real time

What does this bit mean? 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Family. 

Is it not best for you to stick it through with York 9? Stick with them as your team? 

Every person has a different motive so I'm stuck as to why you think how we find our motives to support a team will help you? 

What does this bit mean? 

I'm not dropping York 9. A lot of people in Canada support a team here and in Europe. I'm personally not for investing time for 2 teams in the same continent. I have a side in every country, but I don't "support them".

I feel its the best way to get me fully invested in Europe again. But I want something legit.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I'm not dropping York 9. A lot of people in Canada support a team here and in Europe. I'm personally not for investing time for 2 teams in the same continent. I have a side in every country, but I don't "support them".

I feel its the best way to get me fully invested in Europe again. But I want something legit.

My point was only you can choose. What does fully invested mean if you're not going to drop York 9?

Sorry just trying to get my head round what you're doing/want to do. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

My point was only you can choose. What does fully invested mean if you're not going to drop York 9?

Sorry just trying to get my head round what you're doing/want to do. 

I am invested in York 9, but they are in North America and I am looking to get back into European football. Hopefully that makes sense!

• Subscriber

Like Stan said, nobody can really help you when it comes to choosing a team. There's family influence of course but other than that, locality and a general 'like' for a team is what often decides it for most. Unless you're a glory supporter and swap teams every season to support the ones that are doing well.

I think in England and probably wider, across Europe, the way fans ‘decide’ who they support is often based on family influence like who their father supports, their home town/birthplace and obviously a number who pick a good Premier League team regardless of where they’re based. 

I imagine further overseas, a lot of it probably comes down to accessibility. It’s little wonder that Premier League clubs are so popular across the globe when games are shown live across the planet. 

As for you, I suppose it really comes down to what do you want? Do you want to be able to watch them live? Do you really care for success and aesthetically pleasing football? Are there any particular level that you’re willing to go down to? 

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

What made you stop going with Napoli?

In recent years you mean? Just a loss of interest in European football in general.

Though I will say this is probably just a phase I'm going through. We'll see if I actually mean it or not.

I started supporting arsenal because my dad said they were a good team to support. I didn't want to support man utd because everyone supported them and I didn't know a lot of other teams.  I don't really understand how the leagues worked so didn't support Bristol city or rovers for that reason.  I've always supported arsenal since though  and have spent a lot of money supporting them so don't consider anything wrong with supporting a team from a different city. However I do always want my local teams to do well.

6 hours ago, Mpache said:

So first lets get this straight, you can support any club of your choosing. The whole supporting your local team mentality being a must is a myth.

Do you let them pick you, pick them manually, support them locally, support a nearby team, support a team because of it's history, players, nationality of a player, or other.

I ask the question because I am seriously considering getting back into English football. And drop everything and support a team properly. I support York 9 in real time, but have fallen out of favour with Universitario. Napoli I feel I haven't been as invested in recent years (though I still have a soft spot for them). So I'm looking to start from scratch. I miss supporting a team.

You can get back into English football without choosing a club to "support". Ligue 1 is my favourite league to watch, but I don't have a French club I support. There are several French clubs I really appreciate and enjoy watching, but I would never feel the same way about any of them as I do about Arsenal. Arsenal is a part of me, there's an emotional connection, you can't recreate that by choosing a new club when you're an adult.

Just watch English football. Don't feel any pressure to choose a single club. If you choose a club now because you like the way they play or you like some of their players, in a few years that could all change.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I started supporting arsenal because my dad said they were a good team to support. I didn't want to support man utd because everyone supported them and I didn't know a lot of other teams.  I don't really understand how the leagues worked so didn't support Bristol city or rovers for that reason.  I've always supported arsenal since though  and have spent a lot of money supporting them so don't consider anything wrong with supporting a team from a different city. However I do always want my local teams to do well.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all. My Dad was never interested in football so I got my allegiances from my brother mostly. He supports Grimsby and Liverpool as Grimsby is our hometown and he's always had an affinity to Liverpool. I support Grimsby but wouldn't say I 'support' Liverpool as such. I do however support Sunderland; having lived their for my Uni years and working there too. I know a lot of people frown at people who support more than one team but Grimsby will always be my #1.

5 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

And there's nothing wrong with that at all. My Dad was never interested in football so I got my allegiances from my brother mostly. He supports Grimsby and Liverpool as Grimsby is our hometown and he's always had an affinity to Liverpool. I support Grimsby but wouldn't say I 'support' Liverpool as such. I do however support Sunderland; having lived their for my Uni years and working there too. I know a lot of people frown at people who support more than one team but Grimsby will always be my #1.

This sounds crazy now but years ago some  people who supported derby or Nottingham forest use to go see the other team when their team was away from home. Seems unthinkable now but it did happen before. I think we are talking a long time ago though. Although the tribal mentality of football fans can add to the atmosphere and excitement of the game it goes to far sometimes I think. Football fans sometimes have a habit of telling other fans exactly what they should do. I remember when my mate didn't like it when I was talking to Scotland fans when we saw england play them at Wembley.  A bit strange in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

You can get back into English football without choosing a club to "support". Ligue 1 is my favourite league to watch, but I don't have a French club I support. There are several French clubs I really appreciate and enjoy watching, but I would never feel the same way about any of them as I do about Arsenal. Arsenal is a part of me, there's an emotional connection, you can't recreate that by choosing a new club when you're an adult.

Just watch English football. Don't feel any pressure to choose a single club. If you choose a club now because you like the way they play or you like some of their players, in a few years that could all change.

It can add to excitement when you have a team you like though. But you don't necessarily have to always like that team. I liked Dortmund  when klopp was there because it was great to see someone stop the beyern run.  I like Atletico  Madrid because they are taking on two giants. I'm not so bothered now about Dortmund and probably  wont be so worried about Atletico when  simeone leaves.

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Me

Well that's up to you. If others want to support a different team that is their decision 

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

But that makes them plastic's  ..i don't understand it, football is tribal

For you its tribal, it isn't for everyone.  Ok well we'll go back to the days where we go on ticket sells only to generate money. Enjoy league one 

A-League had miserable coverage, I knew Chelsea existed before Brisbane Roar. There is no local team for me, the nearest is the entire length of the UK away. Plenty of rugby though. Euros and Sudacas will never understand that it is just a culturally irrelevant sport in Australia

Archived