talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Motives For Supporting A Team

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

A-League had miserable coverage, I knew Chelsea existed before Brisbane Roar. There is no local team for me, the nearest is the entire length of the UK away. Plenty of rugby though. Euros and Sudacas will never understand that it is just a culturally irrelevant sport in Australia

It’s picking up in Sydney, still like you say massively irrelevant vs Rugby League and even the Swans, but Sydney FC have better attendances than the Waratahs and Roosters and there’s loads of WSW fans around Sydney, saw more Sydney and WSW shirts on people than I did some NRL teams

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Takes one to know one :4_joy:

😅

And oddly I stopped supporting my dads team to support my local team, who were very really shit and midtable in League 1 at the time. Now this time next season we might be above West Ham in the league 😂

47 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'm a massive fan of giant calculators, pint size mugs and bargain deals on ankle socks so when my retail magnate hero got involved in football I thought I'd check it out.

tenor.gif.81163b2e6eb860af97494a0a2627d23a.gif

I support Liverpool because of my dad and also it's one of the teams around me (although technically Tranmere is more my "local" side because my dad moved across the Mersey with my mum when they decided to start a family).

When I was a kid in school, all the people who liked football either liked Liverpool/Everton with Tranmere as a club they had a soft spot for (like me). Or they're just Tranmere fans who absolutely fucking hated Liverpool and Everton. So that's sort of the norm around my part of Merseyside.

Tbh, I don't really understand supporting a side you don't really have any connection (either by family or by being a local club) with - but obviously loads of people do and I don't really have a problem with it tbh. Although I feel like you experience the highs and lows of supporting a side you've actually got a connection with much more imo.

There's other sides I like around the world (AC Milan, Los Xolos in Mexico, Persepolis in Iran... although I've never actually watched a Persepolis match lol) - but I wouldn't call that really "supporting" those sides. It's more just casually wanting that side to do well.

Rovers was a local thing for me, not that anyone else in my family was a massive fan, my dad used to take us but he's long since lost interest. Rangers were my grandad's team so I have always had a soft spot for them too but that's more of a personal family thing I guess as I'm no fan of any of that associated stuff on either side up there. No other teams I 'support' per se but plenty I keep an eye out for, mainly local non-league teams in Lancashire.

7 hours ago, Pyfish said:

And there's nothing wrong with that at all. My Dad was never interested in football so I got my allegiances from my brother mostly. He supports Grimsby and Liverpool as Grimsby is our hometown and he's always had an affinity to Liverpool. I support Grimsby but wouldn't say I 'support' Liverpool as such. I do however support Sunderland; having lived their for my Uni years and working there too. I know a lot of people frown at people who support more than one team but Grimsby will always be my #1.

Man fuck those people who frown at you for supporting more than 1 team. Personally I don't see the point in supporting 2 sides in the same league, maybe even the same continent. But investing your time into 2? Nothing wrong with that. Most people in this side of the world do that anyways. Locally and in Europe. No one cares either.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I support Liverpool because of my dad and also it's one of the teams around me (although technically Tranmere is more my "local" side because my dad moved across the Mersey with my mum when they decided to start a family).

When I was a kid in school, all the people who liked football either liked Liverpool/Everton with Tranmere as a club they had a soft spot for (like me). Or they're just Tranmere fans who absolutely fucking hated Liverpool and Everton. So that's sort of the norm around my part of Merseyside.

Tbh, I don't really understand supporting a side you don't really have any connection (either by family or by being a local club) with - but obviously loads of people do and I don't really have a problem with it tbh. Although I feel like you experience the highs and lows of supporting a side you've actually got a connection with much more imo.

There's other sides I like around the world (AC Milan, Los Xolos in Mexico, Persepolis in Iran... although I've never actually watched a Persepolis match lol) - but I wouldn't call that really "supporting" those sides. It's more just casually wanting that side to do well.

You can have a real connection to a side that aren't local though mate. The only issue may be if you don't live local it is harder to get to but you can still have a connection. 

Just now, nudge said:

Huh? 

I thought you were half German and the other half was a mix of a few races. Lithuania being one of them?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I thought you were half German and the other half was a mix of a few races. Lithuania being one of them?

Just half Lithuanian, half German. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You can have a real connection to a side that aren't local though mate. The only issue may be if you don't live local it is harder to get to but you can still have a connection. 

Yeah I'm not saying you can't have a connection to a side that isn't local... I think there's certainly ways to have a connection with a club that you might not be geographically close to. I think family ties, tbh, would be the biggest connection there. And family is really important... so I think that's a very strong connection if you've got a family of people who've supported a club for a very long time but they've subsequently moved far from home... but they still support that club.

There's probably other ways to establish that connect as well.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I'm not saying you can't have a connection to a side that isn't local... I think there's certainly ways to have a connection with a club that you might not be geographically close to. I think family ties, tbh, would be the biggest connection there. And family is really important... so I think that's a very strong connection if you've got a family of people who've supported a club for a very long time but they've subsequently moved far from home... but they still support that club.

There's probably other ways to establish that connect as well.

That is a relief, otherwise I'd be shit out of luck.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is a relief, otherwise I'd be shit out of luck.

There's lots of reasons to support a club and I'm not anyone to tell people "hey your opinion isn't valid." I'm just speaking on the sorts of connections that I understand the most... but there's probably way more reasons than I can think of tbh.

I'm not going to judge anyone's choice on why they supported their club... except for 2 main groups of people:

1.) People that went from being Man Utd fans, to Man City fans, to now... Liverpool fans. That's disgusting and it shows those people didn't even take a second to learn about the clubs they "support"; tbh I've never met anyone like this ever (but I've seen it on the internet)

2.) People from London support a club that's in England but not in London. I don't judge them too much... I just think that's fucking weird tbh, but that is something I've experienced before and I just thought "but why mate, if you feel like you need to support a 'big' club... there's loads of great clubs from London?"

As for foreigners liking English clubs and picking a favourite... I'm sure most of them just like the sport, like our top flight, and picked a club they can identify with for whatever reason and are rolling with that. No shame in that, tbh - especially if they're from a place where the quality of football doesn't really compare with some of the bigger leagues.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's lots of reasons to support a club and I'm not anyone to tell people "hey your opinion isn't valid." I'm just speaking on the sorts of connections that I understand the most... but there's probably way more reasons than I can think of tbh.

I'm not going to judge anyone's choice on why they supported their club... except for 2 main groups of people:

1.) People that went from being Man Utd fans, to Man City fans, to now... Liverpool fans. That's disgusting and it shows those people didn't even take a second to learn about the clubs they "support"; tbh I've never met anyone like this ever (but I've seen it on the internet)

2.) People from London support a club that's in England but not in London. I don't judge them too much... I just think that's fucking weird tbh, but that is something I've experienced before and I just thought "but why mate, if you feel like you need to support a 'big' club... there's loads of great clubs from London?"

As for foreigners liking English clubs and picking a favourite... I'm sure most of them just like the sport, like our top flight, and picked a club they can identify with for whatever reason and are rolling with that. No shame in that, tbh - especially if they're from a place where the quality of football doesn't really compare with some of the bigger leagues.

I remember someone on here (I know who it was and I shan't name them) told me to go for my local team and when I told them there is no local team and the nearest one is further than London to Glasglow. Then this person told me start my own club , then I asked who the fuck would be playing against? xD I still don't think they believe me. 

How many of you would drive the length of the UK for a match?

Just now, Spike said:

I remember someone on here (I know who it was and I shan't name them) told me to go for my local team and when I told them there is no local team and the nearest one is further than London to Glasglow. Then this person told me start my own club , then I asked who the fuck would be playing against? xD I still don't think they believe me. 

How many of you would drive the length of the UK for a match?

Lol @ the bolded bit 

I'd only go on a very long away trip in the UK if I had something like a hotel room to spend the night tbh. Which would mean I'd need to have probably planned it out at least a little in advance and make sure I've got the time to commit. I probably wouldn't drive either.

Archived