The better place to talk football.

Motives For Supporting A Team

football forum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

You're not a true Millwall fan until you've got  a face tattoo and tie your pitbull to a bollard on your way into the ground.

We will be waiting in the Member Pics thread.

Don't forget Stone Island. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you know why everyone hates them though? It’s a truly weird pick for a foreign fan, especially considering Millwall’s history of racism

Brian when he was younger:

To me, it makes no sense to 'support' a team if you only see them on television. Obviously, I'm lucky enough to have a club on my doorstep but I'll never understand those that have clubs all around them but pluck for a club hundreds (if not thousands) of miles away and only can experience supporting from their sofa.

The highs might not be as 'high', but the enjoyment cannot compare.

16 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

To me, it makes no sense to 'support' a team if you only see them on television. Obviously, I'm lucky enough to have a club on my doorstep but I'll never understand those that have clubs all around them but pluck for a club hundreds (if not thousands) of miles away and only can experience supporting from their sofa.

Cracking video that, exactly how it should be. Amazes me in Scotland how so many teams sustain themselves (outside of the bigger cities) with the draw of not only the English and European teams but the Old Firm having supporters groups and the like in every corner of the country. Anything like that at Dumbarton should be encouraged.

Do you think you guys moving so far out of the city will have any impact on your supporters? Massive team obviously but I think every club loses a little bit of identity and accessibility when they leave their old stomping ground.

8 minutes ago, tlr said:

Do you think you guys moving so far out of the city will have any impact on your supporters? Massive team obviously but I think every club loses a little bit of identity and accessibility when they leave their old stomping ground.

Definitely. Currently the ground is about a 10/15 minutes walk from the city centre and about 5 minutes from the beach. With it being out of town, it basically dictates a supporters entire day instead of just being able to roll up to the ground.

Might open it up a little more to fans out in Aberdeenshire, but I've still no idea how fans are actually meant to get to the ground without a huge upscale in public transport on matchdays, especially for younger fans. Will really show for the run of the mill midweek league and cup games.

I would say watch football as its own thing. In my personal opinion trying to force yourself into liking a club it's kinda plastic in the sense that you probably will drop interest as the time goes. You like it or not, it's like a relationship but maybe more lasting. If you try to like someone that will comeback to bite you in the future. Do like me, I keep an eye on different leagues, plug on a score app to see what game will be on that day, that I have interest, and watch them just for the football. 

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I agree that the enjoyment is way better locally than thousands of miles away. However people can support who they want. Many people don’t even have local teams, or ones that qualify as “teams”.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you know why everyone hates them though? It’s a truly weird pick for a foreign fan, especially considering Millwall’s history of racism

Yeah kind of. Toxic fanbase, hooliganism, worst area in London. Kind of the misfit side, but I’ll learn more as time goes on.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mpache said:

Yeah kind of. Toxic fanbase, hooliganism, worst area in London. Kind of the misfit side, but I’ll learn more as time goes on.

There's not really much more to learn.

7 hours ago, Mpache said:

Bermondsey is supposed to be getting quite trendy. Though there’s bound to still be awful places there. 

If you want a proper misfit side, it’s got to be Milton Keynes Dons. 

I can't agree with people like @Happy Blue, just because my 'local' didn't didn't exist 5 years ago, unless I considered the Houston Dynamo or DC United my 'local team' (they are over 10 hours away by car). 

I feel in love with the sport the first time I visited Europe with my Dad, and I think I was 14 or 15. Watched Arsenal on television and loved this guy named Henry, and watching him play and dismantle the other team was what got me in love with football in the first place. After that my Dad and I continued to travel and I kept talking about the sport, so when we got to Milan, Italy, my Dad and I went to an Inter Milan match and my passion only grew. 

Coming home, I started to listen to Inter Milan matches via online, and followed them very closely for years. They are still my favorite Serie A team, however the league as a whole has not interested me in a while as it's still a league behind in terms of racism and corruption. 

Further visits to England, and I was able to visit a fair amount of stadiums. I watched obscure teams like Blyth and Bromley, and then larger clubs like Notts County, Nottingham Forest, Fulham, Portsmouth, and Bristol Rovers. 

I moved to Russia and China, and went to games in both of those countries, though more often went to Shinnik Yaroslavl and Spartak Moscow matches in Russia. 

I started getting Season Tickets to a soccer team in Atlanta, called the Atlanta Silverbacks. Their team was made up of guys with other jobs, and played in front of 150 fans. It's was extremely small time and quite an intimate experience. I met my wife, (a soccer fan), and we continued to go to the matches, and since their were so few people, we become somewhat 'known' to the club. When we got engaged, they had us on the field to announce it to the crowd....which looking back is quite silly and ridiculous but oh well. 

Then we got Atlanta United, and the Silverbacks collapsed shortly afterwards. I signed up my wife and I for 'Founding Members' for the club, and we still have our ST to this day. 

I guess I say all this to say that not everyone has the pleasure of supporting their local team. My passion for this sport is well over 15 years old, yet my 'local' team is a mere 4 years old. Not to mention local here doesn't mean the same as it does in England and throughout Europe. Atlanta is a massive city, with one team, so it's not like my neighborhood or city team, and for me to get to the stadium, it's a solid 45 minute drive. 

I have always loved the idea of having a true 'local' team, that I could take the train to, and feel certainly connected to. I love Atlanta United, and they are certainly my #1 team, but I hate the MLS , lack of relegation/promotoin, and salary caps that other American sports have. 

At the end of the day, I have an Italian and French club I watch when I can, a Russian team that I watch weekly, and a few results in England that I keep up with and watch when I can. 

And I have always wished that I 'had' an EPL club. It's become so popular here that we have bars to watch matches, and experience the highs and lows instead of just watching it alone on my laptop or TV. Certainly we have an influx of Netcastle United fans here since Almiron is there, but I'm just not there. I certainly loved my time at certain clubs like Pompey, Blyth, and Nottingham Forest, but I have never said that I truly support them in a devotion type of way. 

Do I support Pompey? Sure

Do I support Forest? Sure

Does it effect me when they lose the same way as it does some of you local people who support your local team? Absolutely not and I'm okay with that. 

I'll say this also, this forum and the one before it, have probably had more impact on who I like than anything else. I have made friends on here, and I wish their teams massive success. I was happy for @Stan when Leicester won the league, ecstatic for @nudge and @Devil-Dick Willie when Bremen avoided relegation, sad for @Tommy when his team didn't have such luck, and I admit I screamed and yelled for joy while alone in my house as Leeds locked up their promotion to the EPL because I think @Lucas is a top notch guy. If Cardiff win the playoffs, beating Forest in the final, I'll be disappointed, but part of me will be happy for @Bluebird Hewitt. And I will say, if Grimbsy finds success and gets promotion, I'll be happy for them and for @Pyfish 

And at the end of the day, I'm 100% okay with that, and not really bothered about what someone else may think. 

12 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Whaddya reckon about those that have no clubs nearby? Nearest? Whomever?

32 minutes ago, Eco said:

I can't agree with people like @Happy Blue,

It's a different culture in the English colonies so i can forgive you, in the mother land we are born into a tradition of following your local team (at least when i was a kid anyway) right from being a toddler i was kitted out in snide City kits (we was poor in the 80's) you didn't have a say in it, it's just how it was  ..NFL is my favourite sport, i've watched it and played it since i was a small young boy, there are teams i watch more than others but i cant feel like a real fan of any team, it feels strange having no connection with the area, same with NRL  ..maybe i'm just odd :what::4_joy:

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Eco said:

And at the end of the day, I'm 100% okay with that, and not really bothered about what someone else may think. 

And that's how it should be; all in all, nobody can tell how you are supposed to feel about something.

That said, I admit I find it extremely weird when someone tries to forcefully find a team to support and asks for help in choosing one based on whatever criteria, as if it's some logical process similar to choosing a pack of crisps in the store; it just feels so wrong... 

Archived