• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace - Monday 20th July, 2020

Recommended Posts

Kick-off 20.15

Live on BT Sport

1200px-Wolverhampton_Wanderers.svg.png      VS     821px-Crystal_Palace_FC_logo.svg.png

Head to Head
Wolves - 26
Draws - 19
Crystal Palace - 21

Reverse Fixture
Crystal Palace 1-1 Wolves

Recent Form
Wolves - WLLWD
Crystal Palace - LLLLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Wolves have just scored the goal of the season.

It was good but it wasn't that good. Moutinho's deft pass and Doherty's control on the assist was very good.

It's the best part of the game for sure. The rest of the half aside from those 10 seconds was shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

It was good but it wasn't that good. Moutinho's deft pass and Doherty's control on the assist was very good.

It's the best part of the game for sure. The rest of the half aside from those 10 seconds was shite.

I was exaggerating slightly but I think the work in terms of moving around a pretty solid deep block, then Doherty's run,  Moutinho's ball, and Doherty's touch across puts it up there, in terms of team goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking hell I could not give a shit about Zaha's boots. Fletcher and McManaman been going on about it for a good 5 minutes tells you how poor this game has, and how shit their commentary is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grea tturn and finish from Jonny. Happened very quickly! 2-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palace kept Jimenez quiet all game but virtually forgot any of their other threats, namely Traore and the central midfielders. 

Mitchell did well at LB up against Traore all match though. Little vs very large.

Reminded me of this seeing Traore attack the kid

520cd2f96bb3f7f508000004?width=1136&form

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think saying Palace were a Europa League dark horse less than a month ago has to be one of the most rapidly badly aging comments I've made on here. I really reckon they might drop next year.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're down next season. Years of piss poor recruitment has led us to these seven straight defeats with this ageing squad that will need an entire overhaul over 2 to 3 years. Having a manager who wont be here for the entire overhaul because of his age is just baffling. Especially given the style of football he encourages isnt appealing for any footballer with any aspirations. We've been firefighting in this divison season upon season which after seven years is unacceptable.

When we do drop we wont be coming back up any time soon. We're built like a Hull/Sunderland/Huddersfield type of relegation.

This sums up the entire situation. You wouldnt think we are the team losing. Roy has absolutely no control any more. 

20200720_222622.thumb.jpg.744d92b805655064266460f9951cd0d4.jpg

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think we're down next season. Years of piss poor recruitment has led us to these seven straight defeats with this ageing squad that will need an entire overhaul over 2 to 3 years. Having a manager who wont be here for the entire overhaul because of his age is just baffling. Especially given the style of football he encourages isnt appealing for any footballer with any aspirations. We've been firefighting in this divison season upon season which after seven years is unacceptable.

When we do drop we wont be coming back up any time soon. We're built like a Hull/Sunderland/Huddersfield type of relegation.

This sums up the entire situation. You wouldnt think we are the team losing. Roy has absolutely no control any more. 

20200720_222622.thumb.jpg.744d92b805655064266460f9951cd0d4.jpg

I think to be fair its hard for a lot of teams to be more than just fighting relegation in now days. Thoughts on hodson? Keep him or get someone know?  I actually think someone like dyche would be good for you.  I can understand you not being keen but he has massively over achieved at Burnley. He will have more money at palace. I think he could get you as far as anyone you are likely to be able to get. No disrespect intended. And also it isn't a massive risk because you are unlikely to get relegated with him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Roy Hodgson has to go after Sunday. Hopefully he will recognise it too and it will be a mutual agreement. I've been 50/50 on the thought of it up until tonight. Don't get me wrong, I think it has been a succesful tenure overall and im grateful for everything but the direction we are being forced to head in now doesnt suit his strengths and keeping him could be detrimental to the long term growth of this football club.

We are heading in to one of the biggest overhauls in Premier League history that we will last approximately 2 to 3 years. Based on Steve Parish and Dougie Freedman's previous transfer windows I cant see them getting it right anyway but to enter a period like that with a Manager whose likely to retire after the first stage of the overhaul is just baffling. 

He's also shown that he's unlikely to get the best out of a certain demographic of player and that's under 27 with natural abiility. We had one of the most talked about German talents in Max Meyer absolutely wasted by Roy Hodgson to the point where he wont even play him now, he destroyed Alexander Sorloth's confidence who has since got himself in a position where he's now linked with some massive clubs, it took him since months to recognise Vicente Guaita is better than Wayne Hennessey which is a sackable offence in itself given Wayne Hennessey isnt good enough for Crawley Town, Jairo Riedewald has only got his chances through a massive injury crisis and people forgot we had Victor Camarasa. ALL the players we need to recruit are going to be in that demographic which Roy Hodgson has shown he is incapable of working with.

Also, any young player in demand isnt going to want to play for us given the brand of football Roy Hodgson has encouraged over the last two seasons. I saw us linked with Ebere Eze today alongside West Ham. Assuming we dont get trumpes by Spurs anyway I still imagine he would rather play alongside Antonio and Bowen than play for us given he's unlikely to improve as a footballer with our style of football. Attracting very good young players from the Football League should be crucial for us, and at the moment this doesnt seem to happen.

What's also swayed me in to thinking he needs to go is the reluctance to change. We were safe with eight games to go. Sure, they're not easy games but what an opportunity to experiment and try new things prior to our massive overhaul. We hadn't done any of that until tonight, and we only changed things because key players got injured. It looks like this stubborness has led to the players giving up. I dont get how he picks them up given we have such a short turnaround to next season. His comment about how he expected a bottle of wine from an academy player for giving him eight minutes really pissed people off.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think to lose seven in a row, six of them without even scoring is an absolute disgrace even if you were safe - that to me is a fundamental lack of giving any kind of shit, the kind of shitshow that a relegation the following year would be based upon.

I think how you finish a season is important anyway in terms of getting underway next year. Not always, but I think the tone is often set.

In this year where we have already had the three month break, and the new season starting just 6/7 weeks away, it's really quite a bleak outlook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I honestly think to lose seven in a row, six of them without even scoring is an absolute disgrace even if you were safe - that to me is a fundamental lack of giving any kind of shit, the kind of shitshow that a relegation the following year would be based upon.

I think how you finish a season is important anyway in terms of getting underway next year. Not always, but I think the tone is often set.

In this year where we have already had the three month break, and the new season starting just 6/7 weeks away, it's really quite a bleak outlook.

You'll be amused to hear that some fans want Claude Puel xD

The whole thing is made even more bleak when you look at each game on its individual merit. The amount of times we bring on another defensive midfielder at the hour mark when we are one goal down. Absolutely no point. I dont think the players want to play for him any more.

The 6/7 week break is compounded even more by our track record in the transfer window. Look at how many prediction threads on this forum are met with people saying we had a crap transfer window and should get relegated. Not to mention anyone we do sign is just before the deadline, and this year it's in October.

Im very happy we have signed Nathan Ferguson but it wouldn't surprise me if he is the only new player by the time the season starts. Or some conveinient free agent like Jordan Ibe will join him. Neither scenario will be good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You'll be amused to hear that some fans want Claude Puel xD

The whole thing is made even more bleak when you look at each game on its individual merit. The amount of times we bring on another defensive midfielder at the hour mark when we are one goal down. Absolutely no point. I dont think the players want to play for him any more.

The 6/7 week break is compounded even more by our track record in the transfer window. Look at how many prediction threads on this forum are met with people saying we had a crap transfer window and should get relegated. Not to mention anyone we do sign is just before the deadline, and this year it's in October.

Im very happy we have signed Nathan Ferguson but it wouldn't surprise me if he is the only new player by the time the season starts. Or some conveinient free agent like Jordan Ibe will join him. Neither scenario will be good enough. 

I can see the logic in wanting Puel. For all of his faults (and there are plenty) he's got the balls to at least try and build for the future, what I mean is he's actually willing to carry the can a bit. The problem is the football is insufferably boring on occasion. I think you could do worse though for a year or two. It won't be pretty but I think you'd be healthier for it. He'd certainly give the likes of Riedewald and Meyer more time I'd imagine.

He's a pretty poor man manager though. He tried to marginalise Vardy and this season has proven how silly that is. While Hodgson can't work with under 28s by the looks of things, Puel seemingly can't do the opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Puel would be a horrible appointment. I don't know who Palace would be best off with really. You have to move on from Hodgson at some point and now seems like the natural time to do it. Getting a young, ambitious manager in is optimal when it comes to a rebuild but also comes with a huge risk of relegation if they're the type of manager who wants to stick to a certain philosophy even if it means 6 months of players getting it wrong and making mistakes that cost games. And it doesn't always end after six months as I've had to witness with Martinez and Silva.

You need someone who can build a squad for the long term rather than signing 27-28 year olds to get through the next season or two, whilst also being pragmatic enough to get to 40 points each season until the squad is pretty much complete and ready to step forward again. It's not an easy set of criteria to fulfil. 

Palace do seem to have a bit of character about them as a club and I wouldn't want to see them go down. I might be biased as my best mate at university was a Palace fan, but I do think they bring something to the table in the top flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened with De Boer? They tried to go in a different direction with him and it didn't work at all? Or maybe there was more to it. He wasn't given enough time from the outside. Perhaps @The Palace Fan can enlighten us more on whether they would have been better off sticking with him for some short-term pain, long-term gain...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stan said:

What happened with De Boer? They tried to go in a different direction with him and it didn't work at all? Or maybe there was more to it. He wasn't given enough time from the outside. Perhaps @The Palace Fan can enlighten us more on whether they would have been better off sticking with him for some short-term pain, long-term gain...?

To be fair, they lost the first 7 that season under Dr Boer. I'm not sure how many points they were off 17th at that point but if you lose your first 7 games of the season you're in danger of becoming cut adrift if you don't make a change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Puel would be a horrible appointment. I don't know who Palace would be best off with really. You have to move on from Hodgson at some point and now seems like the natural time to do it. Getting a young, ambitious manager in is optimal when it comes to a rebuild but also comes with a huge risk of relegation if they're the type of manager who wants to stick to a certain philosophy even if it means 6 months of players getting it wrong and making mistakes that cost games. And it doesn't always end after six months as I've had to witness with Martinez and Silva.

You need someone who can build a squad for the long term rather than signing 27-28 year olds to get through the next season or two, whilst also being pragmatic enough to get to 40 points each season until the squad is pretty much complete and ready to step forward again. It's not an easy set of criteria to fulfil. 

Palace do seem to have a bit of character about them as a club and I wouldn't want to see them go down. I might be biased as my best mate at university was a Palace fan, but I do think they bring something to the table in the top flight.

Honestly, as a big critic of Puel, I do think he'd fulfil the criteria you said. He is one of the most boring managers I have seen, he is not a good man manager, it won't be pretty, but I don't know, weirdly I think they could do worse than him if they need a bit of an overhaul. I feel he could oversee it for a year or two. I don't think he'd take them down.

It's just hard to know how much of our summer recruitment of 2018 was down to Puel and how much down to the set up we had in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accountability for recruitment has become a real issue in modern football. Leicester, Everton, Man Utd, Arsenal... the list goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the off pitch issues that seem to have been going on at Burnley, you wonder whether now would be as good a time as any for Palace to move on Sean Dyche.

He seems very wishy washy about his future at the moment. I mean, part of him may surely be tempted for a new challenge anyway as one of the longest serving managers currently around, no matter what is going on behind the scenes there.

Does he deserve a chance? I'd say so. Doesn't ever seem to go overboard with money but prides himself on hard work and to be fair, he get's every ounce he can out of most those Burnley players each season.

Unfortunately for him, I think he's seen as unfashionable because of his association with Burnley. Don't think he is any less deserving of a chance mind than the usual suspects that get banded about.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucas said:

Given the off pitch issues that seem to have been going on at Burnley, you wonder whether now would be as good a time as any for Palace to move on Sean Dyche.

He seems very wishy washy about his future at the moment. I mean, part of him may surely be tempted for a new challenge anyway as one of the longest serving managers currently around, no matter what is going on behind the scenes there.

Does he deserve a chance? I'd say so. Doesn't ever seem to go overboard with money but prides himself on hard work and to be fair, he get's every ounce he can out of most those Burnley players each season.

Unfortunately for him, I think he's seen as unfashionable because of his association with Burnley. Don't think he is any less deserving of a chance mind than the usual suspects that get banded about.

Sean Dyche is 100% the man we should be going for if he is interested. Similar style of football but has shown more of a willingness to use younger players.

Weirdly he's the man I suggested to replace Dougie Freedman all those years ago. 

Failing him, then Chris Hughton regardless of the Brighton link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement