talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Academy Index

football forum

I started this topic on TFF but obviously we're not there anymore. I'll be trying to update this so we have a comprehensive list of English academies as well as foreign. The below is copy and pasted.

There are no rules to the ranking currently, if anyone wants to try and create some then go ahead. Points per tier system would be good based on appearances/silverware/career stats. The only rule is you cannot include retired players. Players bought from other academies at 16 will be marked as questionable. Players playing at a lower level will be separated.

Once we have a good list we can start the group wranking.

Southampton:

Gareth Bale

Theo Walcott

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Luke Shaw

Adam Lallana

James Ward-Prowse

Matt Targett

Calum Chambers

Leeds Scum:

Aaron Lennon

Paul Robinson

Jonathan Woodgate

Fabian Delph

Lewis Cook

Sam Byram

Tom Cairney

Scott Carson

Luke Garbutt

Man Utd:

Marcus Rashford

Jesse Lingard

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson

Danny Drinkwater

Darren Fletcher

Danny Welbeck

Ryan Shawcross

Tom Heaton

Craig Cathcart

Fraizer Campbell

Alex Bruce

Robbie Brady??

Jonny Evans??

Darron Gibson??

John O'Shea??

Joshua King??

Adnan Januzaj??

James Chester

Cory Evans??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC BARCELONA

• Jordi Masip (FC Barcelona)
  • Gerard Piqué (FC Barcelona)
  • Sergio Busquets (FC Barcelona)
  • Sergi Roberto (FC Barcelona)
  • Andrés Iniesta (FC Barcleona)
  • Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
  • Carles Aleña (FC Barcelona)
  • Jordi Alba (FC Barcelona)
  • Denis Suárez (FC Barcelona)
  • Rafinha (FC Barcelona)
  • Victor Valdés (Middlesbrough)
  • Marc Muniesa (Stoke City)
  • Cesc Fàbregas (Chelsea FC)
  • Pedro (Chelsea FC)
  • Héctor Bellerín (Arsenal FC)
  • Jon Toral (Arsenal FC "loan Glasgow Rangers")
  • Oriol Romeu (Southampton)
  • Adama Traoré (Middlesbrough)
  • Damià Abella (Middlesbrough)
  • Marc Bartra (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Bojan Krkić (Stoke City "loan FSV Mainz 05")
  • Thiago Alcántara (Bayern Munich)
  • Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain)
  • Munir (Valencia CF)
  • Martín Montoya (Valencia CF)
  • Pepe Reina (SSC Napoli)
  • Cristian Tello (Fiorentina)
  • Mauro Icardi (Internazionale)
  • Gerard Deulofeu (AC Milan)
  • Iago Falqué (Torino)
  • Alex Grimaldo (SL Benfica)
  • Rubén Rochina (FC Rubin Kazan)
  • Víctor Vázquez (Toronto FC)
  • Sandro Ramírez (Málaga CF)
  • Andreu Fontàs (Celta Vigo)
  • Carles Planas (Celta Vigo)
  • Sergi Gómez (Celta Vigo)
  • Antonio Sanabria (Real Betis)
  • Fernando Navarro (Deportivo La Coruña)
  • Sergi Samper (Granada CF "loan")
  • Jordi Gómez (Rayo Vallecano)
  • Roberto Trashorras (Rayo Vallecano)
  • Joan Verdú (Levante UD)
  • Gai Assulin (Sabadell)

That's all I can think about right now and I'll update it as I think of more.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

What about players that spent time at more than one academy?

Depends on the timing really, you could never class Raheem Sterling as a Liverpool academy product for example. Same with Fabregas and Arsenal.

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Depends on the timing really, you could never class Raheem Sterling as a Liverpool academy product for example. Same with Fabregas and Arsenal.

Not for me...  There is a reason those players got snapped up from other academies.  Spike's point does have to be taken into consideration because there have been players that have jumped around academies quite a bit and there are a few even in the Barça list as there are for example in what's considered to be players from "La Fábrica" which is Real's academy nickname.  This happens a lot in Spain between each other but the important academies are the ones that provide what turns out to be the most important results for these players.  Even Ajax's academy is accused of that because they capture players from other academies and they either finish of the job or add the most important part because they're one of the best academies around.  Take for example River Plate's academy in Argentina or Rosario Central...  They're the best, but they canvas everyone else's for the raw talent and then turn it into something real.

Trust me, Cesc (although extremely appreciative of what Arsenal provided as will Bellerín be too), will hold themselves as products of La Masia.

UNIVERSITARIO

Raul Ruidiaz

Edison Flores

Andy Polo

Juan Manuel Vargas

Raul Fernandez

Percy Rojas

Juan Carlos Oblitas

Roberto Chale

Jose Luis Carranza

Raul Ruidiaz now is at Monarcas. Top goalscorer in the overall league. Edison Flores at AaB Alborg, Andy Polo at Monarcas as well. Juan Manuel Vargas is back at Universitario but he's been one of the best Peruvian players in the century. He played for Fiorentina as his most reputable club. Raul Fernandez is also back at Universitario. Played for Nice in Europe and FC Dallas in the MLS, named for an MLS all star in 2013.

The best player we've ever had was Hector Chumpitaz. He started at Deportivo Municipal but he's a legend with us. Surely you've heard of him @SirBalon ?

ALIANZA LIMA

Claudio Pizarro

Paolo Guerrero

Jefferson Farfan

Yordy Reyna

Teofilo Cubillas

Jose Velasquez

Wildar Saenz

Claudio Pizarro and Jefferson Farfan made their professional debuts for Alianza but technically they played for other clubs prior. Pizarro at Academia Cantolao and Farfan at Deportivo Municipal. Paolo Guerrero started in Germany but he's always been at Alianza prior. Teofilo Cubillas on the other hand, is the best Peruvian player to ever play the game and one of the best players ever.

SPORTING CRISTAL

Julio Cesar Uribe

Yoshimar Yotun

Flavio Maestri

Nolberto Solano

Alberto Rodriguez

Roberto Palacios

Andres Mendoza

Leao Butron

This is probably the best of the 3. I believe on this forum Solano needs no introduction. Alberto Rodriguez is the best Peruvian CB in this century. Yoshimar Yotun is currently a key player in the current side. Flavio Maestri the "chile slayer" was a canny goalscorer who did well for us in the 1998 qualifiers. Roberto Palacios never played in Europe but he was the best Peruvian player in his time. Andres Mendoza has just been recently named a Club Brugge legend. Julio Cesar Uribe while eccentric, was a very good player. Lastly Leao Butron was a quality keeper in his time. One of the best since Quiroga.

Others

USMP

Pedro Gallese

Christian Cueva

Aldo Corzo

Juan Diego Gutierrez

Sport Boys

Alexander Callens

Club Deportivo Zuñiga

Renzo Sheput

Andy Pando

Edgar Villamarin

Sydney Faiffer

Cantolao

Claudio Pizarro

Carlos Zambrano

Alexander Succar

Deportivo Municipal

Jefferson Farfan

Hugo Sotil

10 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Juan Manuel Vargas is back at Universitario but he's been one of the best Peruvian players in the century

He did have a decent time at Fiore, but wasn't very good at Real Betis unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The best player we've ever had was Hector Chumpitaz. He started at Deportivo Municipal but he's a legend with us. Surely you've heard of him @SirBalon ?

He's definitely not in action anymore! xD

Yep, I know of him in terms of what I've been told...  One of those gifted players never to venture out like so many others back in the day.  But why should they have done because back then most Latin American countries were economically rich (Venezuela being a perfect example) and the leagues were tremendous.  But I know only what I've been told as with many other Latin American players of the past.

Just now, SirBalon said:

He did have a decent time at Fiore, but wasn't very good at Real Betis unfortunately.

He's definitely not in action anymore! xD

Yep, I know of him in terms of what I've been told...  One of those gifted players never to venture out like so many others back in the day.  But why should they have done because back then most Latin American countries were economically rich (Venezuela being a perfect example) and the leagues were tremendous.  But I know only what I've been told as with many other Latin American players of the past.

About Vargas, at Betis he was pretty much past it by then. Still had some qualities as he showed in the 2015 Copa America but overall he was way past his prime. He was a player who completely tore apart any full backs in his way. He started off really well at Fiore but got worse over time although still decent. And don't even get me started on his time at Colon or for the NT. Superb player. 

Funnily enough back in November I wrote an article predicting that he would go back to Universitario. My finest prediction to date.

Chumpitaz was "el capitan de America" up there in the books with Elias Figueroa and Pasarella. One of the best South American CB's of all time in Peru's golden generation. That was arguably the best non Argentina-Brazil-Uruguay South American side of all time. Teofilo Cubillas, Hector Chumpitaz, Percy Rojas, Hugo Sotil, Roberto Chale, Later on that decade came Ramon Quiroga, Juan Carlos Oblitas, Cesar Cueto and Julio Cesar Uribe. Of course, they won the Copa America in 1975. We've been totally useless at world level since 1985 but we've had decent generations since.

• Subscriber

Tottenham

Harry Kane (Tottenham)

Ryan Mason (Hull)

Jake Livermore (West Brom)

Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace)

Tom Carroll (Swansea)

Peter Crouch (Stoke)

Dean Marney (Burnley)

Adam Smith (Bournemouth)

Charlie Daniels (Bournemouth)

David Button (Fulham)

Ryan Fredericks (Fulham)

Alex Pritchard (Norwich)

Dominic Ball (Rotherham)

Milos Veljkovic (Werder Bremen)

Yuri Berchiche (Real Sociedad)

Only down Prem/Championship players and a couple I can think of abroad. Probably missing a few and there's loads more in the lower leagues, but we're pretty good at producing football league players.

Loads of players are taken from smaller clubs and the smaller club gets shit on as they don't get anywhere near what they believe they should for these kids. Kaylen Hinds (Arsenal), Kaziah Sterling (Spurs), Jay Beckford (Arsenal) and a few others have been at Orient at one time and have been poached by bigger clubs for peanuts. 

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Everton:

Wayne Rooney

Ross Barkley

Tom Davies

Leon Osman (hasn't announced retirement)

Jack Rodwell

James Vaughan

Victor Anichebe

Me :ph34r:

To add to these;

Matthew Pennington - Everton

Jonjoe Kenny - Everton

Tyias Browning - Everton

Kieran Dowell - Everton

Adam Forshaw - Boro

Eunan O'Kane - Leeds

Jake Bidwell - QPR

Ryan Ledson - Oxford

John Lundstrum - Oxford

Danny Fox - Forest 

Hope Akpan - Blackburn

Only added ones still here who have made their debut already. I'm sure I've missed someone out as well. 

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Loads of players are taken from smaller clubs and the smaller club gets shit on as they don't get anywhere near what they believe they should for these kids. Kaylen Hinds (Arsenal), Kaziah Sterling (Spurs), Jay Beckford (Arsenal) and a few others have been at Orient at one time and have been poached by bigger clubs for peanuts. 

Similar to Harry Kane :ph34r:

Archived