talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marco Silva Named as New Watford Manager

7 hours ago, Toony said:

He's completely forgettable.

I don't like Watford either, these constant changes of managers are bound to catch up with them at some point too - next season with any luck.

Don't like us all you want, sacking managers when they underperform should be common sense. Staying up should not give you a job, we have a squad with more talent than 16th in the league, so we will seek a new manager who can improve us. That philosophy has given us as many years of PL football in a row as we had before the Pozzo's combined.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Watford have peaked. This is the problem with the money in football. They can't really go forward. Just another team whose only purpose in life is to make it to 40 points as quickly as possible.

The top of the table is cemented with the same teams. The likes of Man Utd and Arsenal should be around 12th if there wasn't such a big financial divide.

It seemed that way for Mazzari, but surely sacking him would suggest the Pozzo's want more than survival? It's amazing how misinformed you can get after a year out of the division...

3 minutes ago, Mazzari said:

It seemed that way for Mazzari, but surely sacking him would suggest the Pozzo's want more than survival? It's amazing how misinformed you can get after a year out of the division...

There is no more than survival. He is sacked because Watford are a rinse and repeat club who rightly or wrongly believe if they don't rinse they will lose survival. 

2 hours ago, Mazzari said:

Don't like us all you want, sacking managers when they underperform should be common sense. Staying up should not give you a job, we have a squad with more talent than 16th in the league, so we will seek a new manager who can improve us. That philosophy has given us as many years of PL football in a row as we had before the Pozzo's combined.

I'm not sure I agree you have a squad that should be higher than 16th.

Which of the teams above you do you think you should finish above? The philosophy of sacking a manager a season will catch up with you.

10 minutes ago, Toony said:

Which of the teams above you do you think you should finish above? The philosophy of sacking a manager a season will catch up with you.

Leicester aside there doesn't seem to be much in it between eighth and eighteenth. Confidence, injuries, fixture timing etc is massive.

16 hours ago, Toony said:

We definitely have more talent than Bournemouth, West Brom and Burnley, arguably a similar level to Stoke

• Administrator

So rumours abound its Leonid Slutsky to replace Mazzari. The Russian has been living in London, learning English, visiting clubs in the area and has been performing advisory work for Abramovich at Chelsea. I'll be putting money on Slutsky being their next manager. 

• Subscriber
On 5/18/2017 at 1:52 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Would they be so quick to sell a player for not having learnt the language if that player was Troy Deeney?

Blaming language is a poor get out, for me. 

And me. Hardly like he went into the job knowing English and forgot during his time there xD

He can't be the first manager they've had who doesn't know English.

12 hours ago, Batard said:

So rumours abound its Leonid Slutsky to replace Mazzari. The Russian has been living in London, learning English, visiting clubs in the area and has been performing advisory work for Abramovich at Chelsea. I'll be putting money on Slutsky being their next manager. 

They love a foreign manager.

I've heard of Slutsky but know absolutely nothing about him.

• The title was changed to Marco Silva Lined Up To Replace Mazzari at Watford
11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Unsurprising move really but a risk of taking the 'flavour of the month' route in my opinion. 

His record is pretty good and he's proven he can mix it up in this league. Watford operate under a DoF policy anyway so all he'll be in control of is the first team, their transfers and playing staff will most likely remain quite consistent with how they've been brought in so far.

He kept a relegation bound Portuguese side in mid table I believe, won silverware with Sporting, won the Greek league (not the hardest job I know) by a record points tally and really couldn't have done much better with Hull.

Apparently we reached out to four managers. One was a massive yes, two were a 'he can do a job', and one is a massive no.

I'm guessing Silva was the yes, and both Monk and Hodgson were part of the other three, either way I'd rather us reach out for Sean Dyche over these options. When Dougie Freedman resigned I wanted us to go for him then because of how harsh his Watford sacking was and we were both similar clubs, but I was psyched beyond belief we got Ollie, then Pulis, then Pardew, then Allardyce. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Can't blame Silva for taking the Watford job. Easiest pay day ever and you leave with your reputation intact.

Silva is a good appointment for Watford, done a good job everywhere he's been but it'll be a bit of a test for him I think. They look a poor side, kept up only by the complete ineptitude of those below them.

• The title was changed to Marco Silva To Be Named Watford Boss
  • The title was changed to Marco Silva Named as New Watford Manager

I was really impressed by how Hull changed under him, so its a bit disappointing to see him take what's basically the safest option. Can't fault Watford, they've went for a manager who they know is going to steer them well clear of trouble. 

He'll leave after a season or two of safety, with his reputation about the same as it is now. Can't blame either party, it's just a bit uninspiring as a neutral. 

Archived