The better place to talk football.

Watford Sack Pearson

football forum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

How odd. 

I can only imagine he's perhaps been told they won't keep him on if they get relegated so he doesn't wanna continue? 

Bizarre to do it now though and not give him a chance to save them anyway. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Crazy to do it with 2 games left, surely somethings happened behind the scenes to force this?

Watford used to be a fairly well run club

They've been a sacking club for a long time and it has worked out ok for them. But this is just strange  and very risky. I guess they perhaps think bournemouth and villa will go down and it doesn't matter 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

They're probably hoping for an instant new manager bounce given the two fixtures they've got left. Really not surprised though, seems like they sack managers for fun there.

Probably this. 

__

Anw, I'm not that into what's happening to Watford, but it seems like a club that wants to do more (that's what I take from they changing coaches like they are underwear) but never signs any ambitious coach at all. Just looking at Marco Silva, the cross show god, and Quique I get that feeling, 2 coaches I'm very familiar with and I don't like that much for how primitive their approaches are. To not to talk how they kinda looked like crap in their careers outside of one or another job they did.

Might be more than that and their season planning being absolute worthless, but I don't feel they manage the club properly at all.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Crazy to do it with 2 games left, surely somethings happened behind the scenes to force this?

Watford used to be a fairly well run club

Completely disagree with the last point. It's a statistical anomaly that they've managed to stay afloat so long when they have no philosophy other than sack the manager whenever things get tough.

When you do well over a sustained period of time with this strategy, it isn't being a well run club, it's just luck. Every new managerial change is a risk and their risks came off for them a number of times but this season it has caught up with them.

Watford are lucky to have Troy Deeney because he's the only player or manager they've had during this stint in the Premier League that actually provides them with any identity or character. Aside from that they're an utterly generic sacking club. Fair enough they've played some good football at times but they don't do anything for me. I'd much rather see them drop than Villa.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Completely disagree with the last point. It's a statistical anomaly that they've managed to stay afloat so long when they have no philosophy other than sack the manager whenever things get tough.

When you do well over a sustained period of time with this strategy, it isn't being a well run club, it's just luck. Every new managerial change is a risk and their risks came off for them a number of times but this season it has caught up with them.

Watford are lucky to have Troy Deeney because he's the only player or manager they've had during this stint in the Premier League that actually provides them with any identity or character. Aside from that they're an utterly generic sacking club. Fair enough they've played some good football at times but they don't do anything for me. I'd much rather see them drop than Villa.

It’s clearly not luck, for a start they don’t have a manager they have a head coach. Clear difference in the knock on effect of losing a manager and losing a head coach.

Secondly the team has some solid personalities and Deeney as limited as he maybe on the ball is a brilliant captain. That’s forward thinking from whoever’s in charge of the long-term vision.

The issue with their coach hiring having a negative effect has clearly been this season as previously the new coach has been able to finish the season well

I know people don’t like their merry go round with the coaches and it goes against the footballing culture in this country but it’s clearly worked for them as a midtable club up until this season, especially with an FA Cup final last season. Whatever they’ve done has now has properly fucked it up for them but prior to this their speed in hiring and sacking hasn’t been a bad system for them 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

It’s clearly not luck, for a start they don’t have a manager they have a head coach. Clear difference in the knock on effect of losing a manager and losing a head coach.

Secondly the team has some solid personalities and Deeney as limited as he maybe on the ball is a brilliant captain. That’s forward thinking from whoever’s in charge of the long-term vision.

The issue with their coach hiring having a negative effect has clearly been this season as previously the new coach has been able to finish the season well

I know people don’t like their merry go round with the coaches and it goes against the footballing culture in this country but it’s clearly worked for them as a midtable club up until this season, especially with an FA Cup final last season. Whatever they’ve done has now has properly fucked it up for them but prior to this their speed in hiring and sacking hasn’t been a bad system for them 

It's a bit weird for stability for players though? Chopping and changing managers is never that sustainable even if it does appear to 'work'.

Just now, Stan said:

It's a bit weird for stability for players though? Chopping and changing managers is never that sustainable even if it does appear to 'work'.

It might well be weird but Watford clearly have a way of playing, set by a director of football. The idea of the head coach is that you can remove one and put another in with little upheaval and in fairness to Watford their performances have been no worse than other clubs at a similar level to them with longer term managers

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Danny said:

It is luck. If you change your manager or head coach or whatever you want to call them, the guy that coaches the players, chooses the lineups and tactics, as constantly as Watford do then eventually you're going to make a couple of bad appointments in a row and this is going to happen to them. Their philosophy of changing head coach all the time relies on them getting appointments right and any appointment or signing in football, no matter how well you scout and do your research, comes with an element of risk or luck. They've shown some skill in some of their appointments but overall they mostly just go for mid-table Spanish and Portuguese managers that nobody's ever heard of, all the British pundits and fans think that they've turned water into wine when they're 7th in November and then go quiet when they lose a few games, sack their manager, end up 14th after a brief relegation scare and then sack whoever's in charge when the season finishes.

They don't invest in any sort of long-term project, I just don't find the way they do things particularly impressive and I can't see how any other football club can look at them and think it's a good model. 

30 minutes ago, Danny said:

And they’ve only had 1 less manager than Everton have in the 5 years they’ve been up now, and let’s face it if Watford are a generic sacking club then so are Everton

I'm not arsed enough about this to look it up but I really don't see how this can be correct. It's nicely worded to make it potentially provable because it allows you to overlook that one of their managers has been sacked not once but twice and possibly allows you to count Unsworth and Ferguson too. Everton have sacked four managers (Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva) since Moyes left seven years ago. Watford have sacked three managers this season alone. I also don't see what Everton have to do with Watford, but yes, there is a risk of us becoming a generic sacking club if we keep making shite managerial appointments but it's unlikely that things will go that way with Ancelotti. We're ridiculous though so can't rule it out.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Danny said:

And they’ve only had 1 less manager than Everton have in the 5 years they’ve been up now, and let’s face it if Watford are a generic sacking club then so are Everton

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not arsed enough about this to look it up but I really don't see how this can be correct. It's nicely worded to make it potentially provable because it allows you to overlook that one of their managers has been sacked not once but twice and possibly allows you to count Unsworth and Ferguson too. Everton have sacked four managers (Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva) since Moyes left seven years ago. Watford have sacked three managers this season alone. I also don't see what Everton have to do with Watford, but yes, there is a risk of us becoming a generic sacking club if we keep making shite managerial appointments but it's unlikely that things will go that way with Ancelotti. We're ridiculous though so can't rule it out.

I looked it up cos I'm sad enough to do so.

Watford (7, not including caretakers)

image.png

Everton (5, not including interim managers). 
image.png

• Subscriber

Well if we're allowed to choose our own arbitrary time frames then Everton have only sacked four managers since 2004 which is an average of one sacking every four seasons which, according to the latest scientific research is less than three sackings in one season. :coffee:

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well if we're allowed to choose our own arbitrary time frames then Everton have only sacked four managers since 2004 which is an average of one sacking every four seasons which, according to the latest scientific research is less than three sackings in one season. :coffee:

I did it for 5 years as Danny said? So included any manager from 2015...

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I did it for 5 years as Danny said? So included any manager from 2015...

I'm messing around mate. I do understand that the last five years is a perfectly reasonable timeframe for comparison seeing as it covers Watford's time in the top flight and almost exactly covers the timespan of Moshiri taking over at Everton.

Archived