talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Watford Sack Pearson

football forum

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

It is luck. If you change your manager or head coach or whatever you want to call them, the guy that coaches the players, chooses the lineups and tactics, as constantly as Watford do then eventually you're going to make a couple of bad appointments in a row and this is going to happen to them. Their philosophy of changing head coach all the time relies on them getting appointments right and any appointment or signing in football, no matter how well you scout and do your research, comes with an element of risk or luck. They've shown some skill in some of their appointments but overall they mostly just go for mid-table Spanish and Portuguese managers that nobody's ever heard of, all the British pundits and fans think that they've turned water into wine when they're 7th in November and then go quiet when they lose a few games, sack their manager, end up 14th after a brief relegation scare and then sack whoever's in charge when the season finishes.

They don't invest in any sort of long-term project, I just don't find the way they do things particularly impressive and I can't see how any other football club can look at them and think it's a good model. 

I'm not arsed enough about this to look it up but I really don't see how this can be correct. It's nicely worded to make it potentially provable because it allows you to overlook that one of their managers has been sacked not once but twice and possibly allows you to count Unsworth and Ferguson too. Everton have sacked four managers (Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva) since Moyes left seven years ago. Watford have sacked three managers this season alone. I also don't see what Everton have to do with Watford, but yes, there is a risk of us becoming a generic sacking club if we keep making shite managerial appointments but it's unlikely that things will go that way with Ancelotti. We're ridiculous though so can't rule it out.

Luck doesn’t cover a 4 year period mate, it was something that clearly worked for them regardless of how you want to spin it now. They secured themselves as a midtable/lower midtable side that was never really in danger of going down.

I only mentioned Everton because they’re a club like Watford who offer little entertainment value to the league

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I looked it up cos I'm sad enough to do so.

Watford (7, not including caretakers)

image.png

Everton (5, not including interim managers). 
image.png

If you’re going Premier League Watford it’s 6, but yeah 7 with Jokanović who got them up

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Luck doesn’t cover a 4 year period mate, it was something that clearly worked for them regardless of how you want to spin it now. They secured themselves as a midtable/lower midtable side that was never really in danger of going down.

I only mentioned Everton because they’re a club like Watford who offer little entertainment value to the league

I completely disagree. Any club that chops and changes like that always get a certain level of success for a while and then inevitably implode. Stoke, Burnley, Bournemouth are all examples of clubs who chose an actual philosophy to stick to and a manager that could build a Premier League team and enjoyed equal or better success as Watford over an equal or longer amount of time. Most other clubs that rely on constant new manager bounces instead of building an actually capable team are lucky to last more than two years. Watford are an exception because they managed to make decent short-term appointments enough times to fend it off, and their recruitment has been above average for the most part.

As for the Everton digs, I've admitted our faults in my previous post but anyone who needs to have it explained to them that there would be a difference between Everton getting relegated and a random yo-yo club like Watford getting relegated isn't really worth debating. Just because we've been shite and boring for a few years doesn't make us Watford because as a football club Everton actually has something about it, like Newcastle does, and Leeds, and West Ham. We've "celebrated" some embarrassing shite in our time like being the first football club to install sprinklers on our football pitch but the thing that Watford are most famous for is Elton John supporting them ffs.

Pearson would have been on a massive bonus to keep Watford up. The owners probably thought job was done (but not officially), and got rid. Saves them a few bob.

Hate Watford anyway, hope to god they either go down or go bankrupt. 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

A bit cruel for Pearson but it was neccessary. Watford have been in stonking form under him, only good match they've played was the 3-1 against Liverpool.

Are you taking the piss xD 

They were bottom of the table when he came in. 8 points from 15 games.

image.png

Yes, really 'stonking form'. 

Let’s be honest, this was a short-term appointment, Pearson was only given a contract to the end of the season so only had two games left, and would have, likely, been moved on in ten days time anyway, much like Everton appointed Allardyce and moved him on at the end of his contract despite a good record (a better one that Pearson’s too).

The element of shock about the sacking here is the timing with Watford yet to confirm their Premier League status for next season. They’re potentially just a point away from that. I suppose the “good” thing here is it’s Watford, they’re used to sacking managers, their players will be used to the revolving door of managers, so are less likely to feel an attachment or emotional tie to a manager when they go through as many as they do. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

Look at what happened before those 3 games. Since lockdown they've put in some nightmare performances.

What comes before isn't relevant to the present. Watford were badly run and managed before Pearson turned up and were in a real mess. They picked up under PEarson but are nowhere near to the level that Watford should be considering their squad, that's a top 10 squad at least, they are as good as Sheffiled United and look where they are. Pearson is a poor manager and had failed everywhere he's been, should never have been given the job in the first place. Watford should look no further than an up and coming manager for the next appointment. Eddie Howe, he'll probably leave Bournemouth or Chris Wilder from Sheffiled United seem front runners. With a good manager, I can see this Watford fighting for a EL place next season.

You are very deluded.

That squad is not top 10. Ageing players with about 2 or 3 that standout that could be in different squads. Good as Sheff Utd? Based on what?

Howe won't get them anywhere. They'll have the same defensive issues. Wilder won't go from Sheff Utd to Watford xD.

You're not doing your reputation as a troll any favours here. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Marco Silva, John Terry and Hayden Mullins are better priced with the bookies than Howe and Wilder doesn’t even feature on the list of names you can bet on. 

Rather go to Ukraine pick Luís Castro or whoever than be back with Marco Silva. Also because of pride.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

If he was so good, why did Leicester sack him?

Cos his son was involved in some serious controversy in Thailand. 

Google it xD 

It wasn't a performance-based sacking.

2 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

Don't underestimate the appeal of South-East England. Watford is in an ideal location to further Wilder's career, he could move to the south and look win the favour of the London bigwigs. Surely more opportunities than in South Yorkshire.

You’re not fooling anyone mate. Terrible, terrible trolling.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

You’re not fooling anyone mate. Terrible, terrible trolling.

The guys an idiot. I don't think his brain  functions properly 

3 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

Don't underestimate the appeal of South-East England. Watford is in an ideal location to further Wilder's career, he could move to the south and look win the favour of the London bigwigs. Surely more opportunities than in South Yorkshire.

Watford on average get through 2 managers a season why would wilder want to go there?

You must be a bot or something? Either that or your mum played basketball with you when you were born. One drop on the head doesn't do that much damage 

• Subscriber

I'll always really like Pearson but I worry that the game's passed him by a bit - I like the way he does things, you only have to hear what a lot of our squad who played under him still think of him even to this day (part of me thinks he'd get the best from a lot of them as well even to this day). The problem is I feel like if it really is yet another case of things going too far off the pitch then he's just simply going to be viewed as a bomb scare. To me it's a real shame - a sign of how spineless a lot of players are nowadays as well.

There's no doubt he did a good job there though. They had 9 points in 16 games when they appointed him. Since then they've been 12th in the league - nothing remarkable but quite a pick up from what was looking a comfortable relegation. Forever under-rated as a manager. It seems like English managers are under-rated and English players over-rated.

I sense here a cultural difference from reading this thread so that's why I want to ask if do you believe in giving time to every manager. Personally I believe in giving time and that ideally the objective of a club should be signing a coach and keep a long term marriage, but I don't believe every coach should get that opportunity. I firmly believe there are managers that you can see more or less straight out of the gate that things won't work, and from what I'm reading here, correct me if wrong, people dont agree with that.

I'm also not a fan of sacking people left and right and I think most times it doesnt make sense because you won't find a real replacement mid season and you will probably fail anyway. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Takezo said:

I sense here a cultural difference from reading this thread so that's why I want to ask if do you believe in giving time to every manager. Personally I believe in giving time and that ideally the objective of a club should be signing a coach and keep a long term marriage, but I don't believe every coach should get that opportunity. I firmly believe there are managers that you can see more or less straight out of the gate that things won't work, and from what I'm reading here, correct me if wrong, people dont agree with that.

I'm also not a fan of sacking people left and right and I think most times it doesnt make sense because you won't find a real replacement mid season and you will probably fail anyway. 

Watford's is looking more and more like guesswork by the year though. They've let their squad age and seem to be pointing the finger at managers all the time - even bringing back a manager they sacked just three years ago.

I do think anyone claiming Pearson's failed at Watford is just plain wrong though. We'll never know how things would've panned out but they were looking like they would comfortably drop before him - now they should survive.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Watford's is looking more and more like guesswork by the year though. They've let their squad age and seem to be pointing the finger at managers all the time - even bringing back a manager they sacked just three years ago.

I do think anyone claiming Pearson's failed at Watford is just plain wrong though. We'll never know how things would've panned out but they were looking like they would comfortably drop before him - now they should survive.

Was asking to anyone and I didn't mean about Pearson failing, because I'm not in touch with his work on Watford. 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Takezo said:

Was asking to anyone and I didn't mean about Pearson failing, because I'm not in touch with his work on Watford. 

I agree that you should get rid if things are blatantly not working - but I think if you keep having to get rid of managers (rather than having them poached) then questions have to be asked of the recruitment of managers. Watford's model I used to think was unfairly slated but it's become apparent to me that they're quite a mess, and will probably be relegated in the next 2/3 years if they do survive this.

They want Puel apparently. Already dreading both games against them.

I thought he did ok, especially given he lost pretty much one of his best and most influential players in Deulofeu at the end of February for the run in.

For a team like Watford, that's a pretty big player to lose. 

And when you consider where they were, to accumulate what they have, and be safe as it stands, is pretty solid work.

There is definitely a lot more to it. Pearson is a strong willed guy, the owner is obviously a hot head himself so they have probably had a bit of a falling out and as the owner, Pozzo has flexed his muscles. He seems to get very easily bent out of shape mind.

Archived