The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 5-3 Chelsea - Wednesday 22nd July, 2020

football forum

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's not impressive when they've lost in the same stadium that season.

Never said whether it was impressive or not. I simply posted a statistic relating to their league performance at Anfield. 

1 minute ago, Pyfish said:

Never said it whether it was impressive or not. I simply posted a statistic relating to their league performance at Anfield. 

If it isn't impressive then why post it?

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

If it isn't impressive then why post it?

I posted it because I found it interesting. I personally do find it quite impressive that a team can go unbeaten for three league seasons at home. Forgive me O.o

1 minute ago, Pyfish said:

I posted it because I found it interesting. I personally do find it quite impressive that a team can go unbeaten for three league seasons at home. Forgive me O.o

It is impressive. That’s incredible home form in the league, which is every club’s bread and butter.

I'm sure some will poke fun at the fact the team lifted the trophy in an empty stadium but I thought it was great watching all of those lads having a brilliant time. Great that they had their families with them too. It's not how we'd have planned it but it was as good as it could have been. Gonna be great when they get to share it with us. I'm sure the motivation for them now is to do it again next season so they get that moment in the stadium with the fans.

Up the fucking Reds

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I'm sure some will poke fun at the fact the team lifted the trophy in an empty stadium but I thought it was great watching all of those lads having a brilliant time. Great that they had their families with them too. It's not how we'd have planned it but it was as good as it could have been. Gonna be great when they get to share it with us. I'm sure the motivation for them now is to do it again next season so they get that moment in the stadium with the fans.

Up the fucking Reds

Won't poke fun at that at all as it's by no means their fault it's had to be like this.

But Adrian wearing his gloves for the celebration? Yeah that's odd xD 

Just now, Stan said:

Won't poke fun at that at all as it's by no means their fault it's had to be like this.

But Adrian wearing his gloves for the celebration? Yeah that's odd xD 

You know the sort I'm talking about, the 'banter boyz' on Twitter etc.

Didn't even notice Adrian that about haha

That was so fucking satisfying. 

Growing up surrounded by United fans (mostly) and few Gooners during my school and college days, I always longed to see this for two fucking decades. ( I know it's been longer for others).

Been worth the wait. Every second of it.

Our defensive issues are an odd one as you can't really put it down to anything really tactically, you can blame Lampard a little for the set pieces but apart from that it just seems to be individual errors all the time. If we had been good at defending set-pieces and had a decent keeper, maybe that alone could have made a significant difference this season. I think our centre backs are capable of much better but aren't the biggest problem and perhaps with someone commanding behind them and with more protection in front, they'd be good enough. I also hope the improvements in attack and the improvements hopefully still to come in offensive areas will also allow us to take more pressure off the backline, if we create and score more, naturally we'll find ourselves in better positions during games. A lot of the first half of the season especially was us failing to take our chances when they came which allowed teams to stay in games.

We've had Kepa now for two seasons. The first season was a mixed bag, looked very good and assuring for periods but also not up to the standards in other moments. This second season though from him has been a car crash. There's been a lot of goals this season that he probably couldn't do anything about but it's the fact that he hasn't really been there when we needed him, we can't rely on him. The reality is nowadays is that if there's a good enough chance for the opposition, you're thinking it's probably going in. A decision will need to be made regarding his future in the summer and it's going to be a big one. I don't think Kepa's career is over, there have always been signs of there being a very good keeper in him but I don't think we're in a position to wait at the moment even despite the money we spent on him. A change of environment might suit him and he might get back to living up to his potential but the reality is we're getting to or have gone past the point of waiting for him.

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x @LFCMadLad @LFCMike

I've asked you this before but you had defensive issues in Klopp's first few seasons? What changed?

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Our defensive issues are an odd one as you can't really put it down to anything really tactically, you can blame Lampard a little for the set pieces but apart from that it just seems to be individual errors all the time. If we had been good at defending set-pieces and had a decent keeper, maybe that alone could have made a significant difference this season. I think our centre backs are capable of much better but aren't the biggest problem and perhaps with someone commanding behind them and with more protection in front, they'd be good enough. I also hope the improvements in attack and the improvements hopefully still to come in offensive areas will also allow us to take more pressure off the backline, if we create and score more, naturally we'll find ourselves in better positions during games. A lot of the first half of the season especially was us failing to take our chances when they came which allowed teams to stay in games.

We've had Kepa now for two seasons. The first season was a mixed bag, looked very good and assuring for periods but also not up to the standards in other moments. This second season though from him has been a car crash. There's been a lot of goals this season that he probably couldn't do anything about but it's the fact that he hasn't really been there when we needed him, we can't rely on him. The reality is nowadays is that if there's a good enough chance for the opposition, you're thinking it's probably going in. A decision will need to be made regarding his future in the summer and it's going to be a big one. I don't think Kepa's career is over, there have always been signs of there being a very good keeper in him but I don't think we're in a position to wait at the moment even despite the money we spent on him. A change of environment might suit him and he might get back to living up to his potential but the reality is we're getting to or have gone past the point of waiting for him.

I've asked you this before but you had defensive issues in Klopp's first few seasons? What changed?

I think it's simply better players. It seems like Lampard is building a superb attack, like Klopp did early on, but without improving the defence, you might go close but will probably fall short because of defensive issues in key games. Van Dijk made a huge difference for us. Was key in us reaching the Champions League final in 2018 but we were still let down by Karius in that final. Adding Alisson basically completed the back five. Robertson and Trent were also eased in over this period.

14 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Guess I’ll just go fuck myself. 

14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Opta oe one word slogans at the end of sentences are beyond turgid. Wankfest. 

Yeah, it's always made me irrationaly angry. There is something pretentious about it

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Honestly the biggest factor was us signing Virgil.

We’d still have defensive errors (and we still do, every side does obviously - but I mean bad ones) but we became a lot more solid once he joined.

Then we improved even more with the addition of Fabinho & Alisson. It might seem overly simplistic to say “signing better players that fit Klopp’s system” but that’s honestly the answer.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived