Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Nathan Ake - Man City Complete Signing

Quote.thumb.png.e457ece98b6c0baff2397836aa5cd692.png

Manchester City are close to agreeing on a deal to sign Nathan Aké from Bournemouth. As Pep Guardiola accelerates a rebuild of City’s defence following an unsuccessful defence of their Premier League title, it is believed Aké will become a key recruit for a fee in the region of £35m. (The Guardian) Arrow.png.94194b154567d859781ba9dc5aa24f3a.png

I wouldn't have minded him here as a back up CB. He can cover left back too if I'm not mistaken? We have been linked in the past I think but I don't think it's one that will happen for us at that price this summer.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I wouldn't have minded him here as a back up CB. He can cover left back too if I'm not mistaken? We have been linked in the past I think but I don't think it's one that will happen for us at that price this summer.

He wouldn't move to be a back up though 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

He wouldn't move to be a back up though 

He'd get plenty of game time with the amount of time Matip and Gomez spend out injured! 

On 21/07/2020 at 18:21, LFCMike said:

He'd get plenty of game time with the amount of time Matip and Gomez spend out injured! 

Cant see him gambling his career on Gomez being injured though to be honest. 

Seems a weird one for me considering they have Laporte as a left footed CB, would've thought they would be after a partner for him rather than a back up. Suppose his versatility will come in useful, but still a big fee. 

Interesting Lampard wasn't keen, have to say I agree with him. I do think he has been a tad overrated by his time at Bournemouth. Not doubt a good player but I don't think he is ever a top 6 level starter, especially at CB. 

Not worth that price tag but at least Bournemouth can reinvest that money into the rest of the squad.

Small change for Man City and I think he'll do alright there to be honest. 

Wonder if they're looking to move Stones on or is this a player to push Otamendi further down the line?

I dunno, I think City need a leader at the back. As good as Laporte is, he’s hardly the bossing type of player. Him and Ake side by side is athletically talented, no doubt, but I don’t see either or them commanding a back four. 

I've watched plenty of Bournemouth games during their tenure in the top flight and I can't remember one where I've thought Ake has stood out or been particularly impressive. Maybe that was impossible for him due to the way they played and the players around him but I don't think he's going to solve all their problems. Better than Stones and definitely better than playing Fernandinho there but they need a real world class partner for Laporte in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Cost will be covered by their new middle eastern tampax official sponsor.

That isn’t haram

I think he’s just cover/competition for a left footed center back, with some centre backs due to leave. City journo for The Athletic(?) reckons Koulibaly and Ake are part of two seperate shopping lists and signing Ake has no impact on signing Koulibaly or any back ups for Koulibaly.

Read that there’s about 5 left footed centre backs under the age of 28 who’ve played over 900 minutes this season, Laporte and Ake being 2 of them. Seems like a decent signing imo.

3 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Interesting Lampard wasn't keen, have to say I agree with him. I do think he has been a tad overrated by his time at Bournemouth. Not doubt a good player but I don't think he is ever a top 6 level starter, especially at CB. 

Not really an improvement on what we currently have. 

I think more than anything Lampard wants a new GK + LB. 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I'd question how any centre half can be worth £40m when they play in a defence that conceded 135 goals in 76 games.

Tbf, he'll probably score more goals than £40m Joelinton. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not really an improvement on what we currently have. 

Really? For ages I'm not sure you've ever liked Christensen or Zouma in your defence? Ake is definitely an improvement on them I think. There's only so much he can be held responsible for when it comes to Bournemouth's defence. 

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbf, he'll probably score more goals than £40m Joelinton. :ph34r:

Joelinton was supposed to be £4m, it was an accounting error by Penfold who put too many 0's in his Barclays app when transferring the funds.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Really? For ages I'm not sure you've ever liked Christensen or Zouma in your defence? Ake is definitely an improvement on them I think. There's only so much he can be held responsible for when it comes to Bournemouth's defence. 

Not for me. I'd keep Zouma preferably. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I think he’s just cover/competition for a left footed center back, with some centre backs due to leave. City journo for The Athletic(?) reckons Koulibaly and Ake are part of two seperate shopping lists and signing Ake has no impact on signing Koulibaly or any back ups for Koulibaly.

Read that there’s about 5 left footed centre backs under the age of 28 who’ve played over 900 minutes this season, Laporte and Ake being 2 of them. Seems like a decent signing imo.

If he's backup for Laporte then it's a good signing but £40m for a backup is steep even for City. I suppose that's what everyone else is competing with now though and they spent more than that on Mahrez when he wasn't necessarily a first choice player...

Just now, RandoEFC said:

If he's backup for Laporte then it's a good signing but £40m for a backup is steep even for City. I suppose that's what everyone else is competing with now though and they spent more than that on Mahrez when he wasn't necessarily a first choice player...

City also won every domestic competition in one season with that type of depth...plus Ake is young so it could also be a look to the future as well as providing some competition

I agree with @Danny, I think he's been brought in to strengthen what was a very weak area and they will be moving a couple on.

Fernandinho has not got the legs anymore. He is going to be phased out soon enough.

Stones has stagnated and lost confidence. No longer the answer.

Otamendi is a car crash. Infact, I'd even rate David Luiz better than Otamendi who shits a brick when someone runs at him. He just doesn't get as regularly exposed due to City having 60 odd % of possession in games.

So Ake will definitely strengthen the squad and get his fair share of games. He is still at an age where he is developing and if Pep didn't think he was good enough, I doub't he'd have gone for him.

You also need to remember Laporte has had some awful injuries so they will naturally be weary they need to rest him where they can and perhaps that is another reason for bringing Ake in.

£40m isn't really that expensive in the market now when you think what it cost Man Utd for Maguire anyway.

I am 100% convinced City will move for another CB though. Definitely.

Guardiola isn't sentimental at all. Expect players to leave.

That must take Guardiola's spending on defenders close to half a billion. How many has he got right?

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

That must take Guardiola's spending on defenders close to half a billion. How many has he got right?

Think it’s about £350m, but a lot of money. The only clear successes have been Walker and Laporte but Laporte struggles with injuries. They were unlucky with the length of Mendy’s injuries though