talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nathan Ake - Man City Complete Signing

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.e457ece98b6c0baff2397836aa5cd692.png

Manchester City are close to agreeing on a deal to sign Nathan Aké from Bournemouth. As Pep Guardiola accelerates a rebuild of City’s defence following an unsuccessful defence of their Premier League title, it is believed Aké will become a key recruit for a fee in the region of £35m. (The Guardian) Arrow.png.94194b154567d859781ba9dc5aa24f3a.png

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't have minded him here as a back up CB. He can cover left back too if I'm not mistaken? We have been linked in the past I think but I don't think it's one that will happen for us at that price this summer.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I wouldn't have minded him here as a back up CB. He can cover left back too if I'm not mistaken? We have been linked in the past I think but I don't think it's one that will happen for us at that price this summer.

He wouldn't move to be a back up though 

• Administrator

Small change for Man City and I think he'll do alright there to be honest. 

Wonder if they're looking to move Stones on or is this a player to push Otamendi further down the line?

I dunno, I think City need a leader at the back. As good as Laporte is, he’s hardly the bossing type of player. Him and Ake side by side is athletically talented, no doubt, but I don’t see either or them commanding a back four. 

• Subscriber

I've watched plenty of Bournemouth games during their tenure in the top flight and I can't remember one where I've thought Ake has stood out or been particularly impressive. Maybe that was impossible for him due to the way they played and the players around him but I don't think he's going to solve all their problems. Better than Stones and definitely better than playing Fernandinho there but they need a real world class partner for Laporte in my opinion. 

I think he’s just cover/competition for a left footed center back, with some centre backs due to leave. City journo for The Athletic(?) reckons Koulibaly and Ake are part of two seperate shopping lists and signing Ake has no impact on signing Koulibaly or any back ups for Koulibaly.

Read that there’s about 5 left footed centre backs under the age of 28 who’ve played over 900 minutes this season, Laporte and Ake being 2 of them. Seems like a decent signing imo.

3 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Interesting Lampard wasn't keen, have to say I agree with him. I do think he has been a tad overrated by his time at Bournemouth. Not doubt a good player but I don't think he is ever a top 6 level starter, especially at CB. 

Not really an improvement on what we currently have. 

I think more than anything Lampard wants a new GK + LB. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not really an improvement on what we currently have. 

Really? For ages I'm not sure you've ever liked Christensen or Zouma in your defence? Ake is definitely an improvement on them I think. There's only so much he can be held responsible for when it comes to Bournemouth's defence. 

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbf, he'll probably score more goals than £40m Joelinton. :ph34r:

Joelinton was supposed to be £4m, it was an accounting error by Penfold who put too many 0's in his Barclays app when transferring the funds.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Really? For ages I'm not sure you've ever liked Christensen or Zouma in your defence? Ake is definitely an improvement on them I think. There's only so much he can be held responsible for when it comes to Bournemouth's defence. 

Not for me. I'd keep Zouma preferably. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

I think he’s just cover/competition for a left footed center back, with some centre backs due to leave. City journo for The Athletic(?) reckons Koulibaly and Ake are part of two seperate shopping lists and signing Ake has no impact on signing Koulibaly or any back ups for Koulibaly.

Read that there’s about 5 left footed centre backs under the age of 28 who’ve played over 900 minutes this season, Laporte and Ake being 2 of them. Seems like a decent signing imo.

If he's backup for Laporte then it's a good signing but £40m for a backup is steep even for City. I suppose that's what everyone else is competing with now though and they spent more than that on Mahrez when he wasn't necessarily a first choice player...

Just now, RandoEFC said:

If he's backup for Laporte then it's a good signing but £40m for a backup is steep even for City. I suppose that's what everyone else is competing with now though and they spent more than that on Mahrez when he wasn't necessarily a first choice player...

City also won every domestic competition in one season with that type of depth...plus Ake is young so it could also be a look to the future as well as providing some competition

• The title was changed to Nathan Ake - Man City Complete Signing

Archived