talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Buying a Football Club

football forum

Let's assume that you have the funds to purchase any team in the world (or start your own), however your favorite club is one that you are unable to purchase, but you still want to be a football club owner. 

Who do you buy? Why? 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Thought Brian posted this for a second. 

Ha, nope. 

I was interviewed for a job recently, and one of the questions posed to me was the following:

"If you woke up and was told that you inherited more money than you can imagine, however the only way to receive the money is to work a full-time job, what would you do and why?" 

I gave my answer (wasn't football related), but I have continued to think about it, and while out running yesterday, I thought about posing this question but with football clubs. 

Maybe it's a big Brian-esqe xD

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Probably of those northern English clubs that are the only source of joy for the miserable fan’s lives. I’d then fold the club.

I thought I'd hear this answer. Red fans saying they would buy Leeds and just fold them. xD

• Subscriber

I don't think I'd start my own as that would be far too much work for a slow return.

I'd perhaps use the same process I go through when choosing my FIFA or FM teams:

• What teams do I like?
  • Do those teams have nice kits?
  • Is there room to develop the team and make them better?
  • Are their fans arseholes?

Just now, Pyfish said:

I don't think I'd start my own as that would be far too much work for a slow return.

I'd perhaps use the same process I go through when choosing my FIFA or FM teams:

• What teams do I like?
  • Do those teams have nice kits?
  • Is there room to develop the team and make them better?
  • Are their fans arseholes?

So Millwall? Sweet. 

If I couldn't plough it into Rovers I'd probably just keep topping up a local non-league side. Nothing daft but enough to ensure they don't live gate receipt to gate receipt. I'd probably try and find a way to do it for several clubs to be honest. Would never, ever invest in a League or professional team that isn't Rovers.

5 hours ago, Eco said:

Let's assume that you have the funds to purchase any team in the world (or start your own), however your favorite club is one that you are unable to purchase, but you still want to be a football club owner. 

Who do you buy? Why? 

Probably Tranmere tbh. Why? Can't pick Liverpool and they're literally right around where I grew up, so I'd be buying my "local" side.

Genuinely think it would be Hearts or Hibs in Scotland. They’re both big clubs in their circles, they’d, likely, be considerably cheaper than Premier League or Championship clubs, they’re based in a big city with good transport links around the UK and Europe and qualification for European Football is likely to be easier, both on the field and on my bank balance, than attempting to take on the likes of Man City and Liverpool in England. 

• Subscriber

Living here in Scotland and a Rangers man I would not have a hope in hell of buying the Gers so I guess I would go for either Hearts of Midlothian because the wife son & daughter support them, or buy Wick FC in the upper reaches of Scotland as I worked there for a while and loved the place.

Down South, it would have to be Southend United FC as I worked there off and on over the years and had a house right behind their ground Roots Hall.

The latter is just a dream though, sigh  9_9 :x

Archived