talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship 2019/20 Play-offs (Fulham Promoted)

football forum

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Pyfish said:

The final will definitely be a good one. Out of the two sides, I'd much prefer it be Brentford who go up.

Same here, Brentford are the team I want to see in the Premier League.

Only saw the last 10 minutes or so as I was expecting a kicking but it sounds like we gave it our all regardless and at least we can bow out with our heads held high, unlike the wankstains down the road. 

Fulham vs. Brentford final then. Really hope Brentford pull it off. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Glad Bennett isn't going to the final then

Not a fan of that Bennett at all. Typical Warnock player.

Always remember when he tried to snap Sane's ankle. This was horrendous.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not a fan of that Bennett at all. Typical Warnock player.

Always remember when he tried to snap Sane's ankle. This was horrendous.

Definitely. First thing that came to my mind too. Vile player. 

• The title was changed to Championship 2019/20 Final (Brentford vs Fulham)

How's the nerves @Danny?

Need this game to be over given the heavy rumours we would like Benrahma and Watkins at the club, so at least we would know one way or another after tomorrow night.

Fulham really need Mitrovic to be fit. I assume he will play as it's the final and worth the gamble but there is no way he'll be at 100% surely. 

I'd still go with Brentford I think. It should be a good footballing game but I'm still expecting it to be a tight affair. Brentford just have a bit more quality in each department for me, especially at the back.

• The title was changed to Championship 2019/20 Play-offs (Final - Brentford vs Fulham)
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

How's the nerves @Danny?

Need this game to be over given the heavy rumours we would like Benrahma and Watkins at the club, so at least we would know one way or another after tomorrow night.

Fulham really need Mitrovic to be fit. I assume he will play as it's the final and worth the gamble but there is no way he'll be at 100% surely. 

I'd still go with Brentford I think. It should be a good footballing game but I'm still expecting it to be a tight affair. Brentford just have a bit more quality in each department for me, especially at the back.

Managed to ignore the fact that we're due to be play the biggest game in all of the EFL on Tuesday against....Fulham, of all clubs...until now, cheers mate xD

Man vs man, manager vs manager, owner vs owner, everything, we are currently better than them. We have a higher peak than they do, we have players on a better career trajectory than they do, we have a better track record against them than they do us. On paper we are better, but this is a Play-Off Final at Wembley and it's also a local derby. So none of that stuff really matters, no point being the better side throughout the season than them if it means we lose on Tuesday night. If we lose, I will be in for a world of shit from my Fulham supporting cousin. Another of my mates too. It will be unbearable, but also if we lose...we'll be back next season, and the season after that until we go up. For us this will be the new normal, so not getting to the Prem this season isn't the end of the world. But losing to Fulham in a play off final, no thanks.

If we go up, we will be the new normal for a lot of clubs. We've had a top half finish every season since being in the Championship, we will have Premier League money to play around with. We are the best recruiters in all of England, maybe Liverpool aside....give us that £100m+ and we'll make more clubs look silly as we have done in the Championship. There will be more "forget their players, let's but their DoF's, their owner, their set-up". Even if we go up and then go down again, we will have parachute payments and this set-up in the Championship. We'd be back soon after.

So win or lose in a play off final, we're still going to be on course for going up eventually, and trust me if we go up I will lose my shit, as well the Brentford faithful who've had years of shit, nearly being bought out of existence by QPR, shaking buckets outside of Griffin Park under Ron Noades...years of League 2, 1 football. Seeing local rivals nick our better players. They're the people who will benefit the most, little old Brentford, teams like Brentford, fucking Brentford, a bus stop in Hounslow....in the Premier League. It's going to happen. Eventually.

But losing to Fulham on Tuesday? Cannot bear the thought mate, proper disgusted by it and we've not even kicked off yet.

On a side note, if you sign Benrahma and Watkins if we don't go up, Bamford ain't getting a look in and neither is one of your wingers. Watkins is the best striker in the division, will easily make the step-up to Prem level imo. Benrahma is skill, tricks, flair but with hard work, determination, work ethic and an end product. They would be massive losses, ones that we can replace, as we always do, but still massive losses.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Managed to ignore the fact that we're due to be play the biggest game in all of the EFL on Tuesday against....Fulham, of all clubs...until now, cheers mate xD

Man vs man, manager vs manager, owner vs owner, everything, we are currently better than them. We have a higher peak than they do, we have players on a better career trajectory than they do, we have a better track record against them than they do us. On paper we are better, but this is a Play-Off Final at Wembley and it's also a local derby. So none of that stuff really matters, no point being the better side throughout the season than them if it means we lose on Tuesday night. If we lose, I will be in for a world of shit from my Fulham supporting cousin. Another of my mates too. It will be unbearable, but also if we lose...we'll be back next season, and the season after that until we go up. For us this will be the new normal, so not getting to the Prem this season isn't the end of the world. But losing to Fulham in a play off final, no thanks.

If we go up, we will be the new normal for a lot of clubs. We've had a top half finish every season since being in the Championship, we will have Premier League money to play around with. We are the best recruiters in all of England, maybe Liverpool aside....give us that £100m+ and we'll make more clubs look silly as we have done in the Championship. There will be more "forget their players, let's but their DoF's, their owner, their set-up". Even if we go up and then go down again, we will have parachute payments and this set-up in the Championship. We'd be back soon after.

So win or lose in a play off final, we're still going to be on course for going up eventually, and trust me if we go up I will lose my shit, as well the Brentford faithful who've had years of shit, nearly being bought out of existence by QPR, shaking buckets outside of Griffin Park under Ron Noades...years of League 2, 1 football. Seeing local rivals nick our better players. They're the people who will benefit the most, little old Brentford, teams like Brentford, fucking Brentford, a bus stop in Hounslow....in the Premier League. It's going to happen. Eventually.

But losing to Fulham on Tuesday? Cannot bear the thought mate, proper disgusted by it and we've not even kicked off yet.

On a side note, if you sign Benrahma and Watkins if we don't go up, Bamford ain't getting a look in and neither is one of your wingers. Watkins is the best striker in the division, will easily make the step-up to Prem level imo. Benrahma is skill, tricks, flair but with hard work, determination, work ethic and an end product. They would be massive losses, ones that we can replace, as we always do, but still massive losses.

Bold claim.

Hoping Brentford pull it off for no reason other than David Raya, probably on a trajectory to be the best Rovers academy prospect in years and it would be so good to see him at the highest level in the English game. He was treated shamefully by us towards the end so I genuinely wish him and Brentford the best, they both deserve it.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Bold claim.

Bold but I'd like to see anyone who does better business than us (outside of Liverpool). Only other club that works in a similar vein to us is Brighton and their track record really isn't amazing. We're the best in the Championship when it comes to recruitment, I don't see anything happening in the Premier League that suggests that outside of Liverpool anything is as slick, profitable and simply as good at finding the talent we do, but not just finding, attracting them to come based on how we as a club operate. 

15 minutes ago, tlr said:

Hoping Brentford pull it off for no reason other than David Raya, probably on a trajectory to be the best Rovers academy prospect in years and it would be so good to see him at the highest level in the English game. He was treated shamefully by us towards the end so I genuinely wish him and Brentford the best, they both deserve it.

He’s had a dodgy spell with us this season but overall has been class, been phenomenal since the restart. So assured catching the ball for a small keeper

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bold but I'd like to see anyone who does better business than us (outside of Liverpool). Only other club that works in a similar vein to us is Brighton and their track record really isn't amazing. We're the best in the Championship when it comes to recruitment, I don't see anything happening in the Premier League that suggests that outside of Liverpool anything is as slick, profitable and simply as good at finding the talent we do, but not just finding, attracting them to come based on how we as a club operate. 

Leicester, for one. Burnley buy well for their stature and the relative success they get out of it too. You're right about Liverpool so not knocking that. Wolves as well albeit helped by a 'super-agent' with links. 

Talking of profitability, we bought Mahrez for £500k; sold him for £60m. Bought Kante for £5m; sold him for £30m (absolute steal for Chelsea). Bought Drinkwater for £1m; sold him for £35m. Bought Maguire for £12m; sold him for £80m. 

Total outlay of £18.5m (approx) and income of £205m.

The talent-finding is equally as bold. So many clubs 'find' talent and attract them to the club and end up being successful. Not saying Brentford aren't good at it, but again to say you're the best in the country at it is a bit over the top. 

You might be the best in the Championship but to say you're the best in the business in the whole of the country is what makes it a bold claim. 

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Leicester, for one. Burnley buy well for their stature and the relative success they get out of it too. You're right about Liverpool so not knocking that. Wolves as well albeit helped by a 'super-agent' with links. 

Talking of profitability, we bought Mahrez for £500k; sold him for £60m. Bought Kante for £5m; sold him for £30m (absolute steal for Chelsea). Bought Drinkwater for £1m; sold him for £35m. Bought Maguire for £12m; sold him for £80m. 

The talent-finding is equally as bold. So many clubs 'find' talent and attract them to the club and end up being successful. Not saying Brentford aren't good at it, but again to say you're the best in the country at it is a bit over the top. 

You might be the best in the Championship but to say you're the best in the business in the whole of the country is what makes it a bold claim. 

That still tickles me to bits. 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Let's not talk silly Stanley, Burnley do well on the pitch and that is a credit to Dyche but their recruitment is not better than ours, in fact to get them up they signed two of our signings that we made from League 1 and League 2 in Andre Gray and James Tarkowski. Wolves are not in the conversation, whatever big bossman Mendes says they're going to have, they have. That's it. It'd be like chucking Chelsea or City into the conversation, but obviously to a lesser extent.

Mahrez and Kante specifically were great signings, as was Maguire though clearly not the same level of quality as those two. But you've not really been consistent with players as good as Mahrez and Kante. But with Soyuncu, Tielmans, Maddison, Ndidi, Peirera you can certainly make a good claim for Leicester....and I wouldn't necessarily say you've a better recruitment team than us, just that you have access to a greater pool of players. But certainly it is debatable....but when we're now talking only you and Liverpool as club's with a better record than us...not that bold a claim imo.

But to add something to that, and remember we're not in a position where we can sell as a Premier League club, so players will never go for more than £20m-£25m if they come up from the Championship...Konsa in for £2.57m out for £11m, Maupay in for £1.8m out for £19.8m, Mepham scouted playing mens semi-pro football, sold for £12.24m, Scott Hogan signed for £800k, sold for £9.45m, Andre Gray signed for £500k, sold for £11.6m....those players alone brought in £64m, cost £5.67m. And Hogan and Gray, if they were being sold now they'd go for £20m, part of the reason it costs £20m to sign a Championship forward is because we've purposefully driven that price up. It costs £10m to sign a quality young Championship defender into the Prem now, cos of Mepham and Konsa. Over the last 6 years in the Championship we have made £121.07m in transfer fees without spending large at all....that is almost unheard of. We've spent £61m in that period, off of the back of those sales. And the only reason that number is so high is because we spent £30m last season to go all out for Premier League football at our new ground, prior to that we spent £30m over a 5 year period, made £90m in that same period on transfer fees. And we've not even mentioned that Benrahma, Watkins and Mbeumo as a trio are worth around £60m-£75m...they cost us about £9m altogether.

Can you imagine what we would do in the Prem? The premium on Premier League players when they score 10, 15, 20 goals a season? I rate your work in the transfer market, probably now more that we've had this discussion and been able to look more into it. I think what you've done with most of your transfers, if we had that level of reputation you have as a club in the Prem who won the league recently, we'd easily be able to do what you've done with Soyuncu, Tielmans, Maddison etc, don't see how that wouldn't be in our capabilities. But you have to respect what you done with Mahrez and Kante specifically, two world class players plucked out of nowhere. Fair play there. But overall, every other transfer you've made, looking at what we've made, I'm not seeing the work of a recruitment team that are clearly better than ours and more importantly I've not seen Shakespeare recreate his work with Kante and Mahrez. I don't see anyone in England that are clearly doing work that would make you say wow that is on our level, anywhere apart from at Anfield (and you lot in fairness) but even then....if we had Liverpool money, who knows xD 

• The title was changed to Championship 2019/20 Play-offs (Fulham Promoted)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived