talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester 0-2 Man Utd - Sunday 26th July, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber

Also - I don't want Rodgers out, I think it would be daft to sack him after finishing here and doing so would make us look frankly unmanageable, like a bigger version of Watford if you like. But he has shown his flaws big time in this half of the season and talking us down is the kind of shit that really turned people against Puel. Lowering expectations after you've blown it simply isn't going to wash with a fanbase who have seen how far a can do attitude can actually go as recently as 2016.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Again, this is a classic case of 'be carefull what you wish for.

If Brendan offered the Leicester owners/fans a 5th place finish at the start of this season, they would have chewed his hand off. 

Sack him, you might very well regret it.

Their form since the turn of the year is shocking though. There's only so long you can accept a bad run. He needs a decent start to next season or the pressure will be on. Not saying he'll be sacked early into the season but him not reaching Christmas isn't out of the question if this carries on 

He won't last very long for me, bad ends to the season usually carry over and it seems since the turn of the year something has gone a bit wrong at Leicester. Seems for what ever reason managers just don't last at Leicester and Rodgers will be another. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

He won't last very long for me, bad ends to the season usually carry over and it seems since the turn of the year something has gone a bit wrong at Leicester. Seems for what ever reason managers just don't last at Leicester and Rodgers will be another. 

When we won the league don't forget how good our form going into that season was. I think the turnover between two seasons is even less this time around as well given there's only going to be six weeks difference. We've already had our three months off and came back even worse, granted, missing our best player.

I think injuries is just a bit of a get out excuse mind. This full strength Leicester side lost to Villa over two legs and got one point off Norwich. I'm not sure it would've made as big a difference as people think.

I had a read back through some old threads last night just to gain a bit of perspective. Gonzo was glad that Southampton beat us because of our supposed threat to Liverpool. That was on 11th January, match number 21.

To go from that to finishing 4 points off 4th is a monumental collapse. To me the worry isn't this season but it's next. We've collapsed big time and with the likelihood of a very tricky fixture list next season, one far bigger than this one, it doesn't bode well.

We need to recruit very well this summer, we need to be clever about it, but I'm not holding out much hope of that either. We've somehow brought in a bloke with a dreadful record. I'm really just hoping that he's brought in to oversee what recruitment system we already had in place, rather than being given a free reign, because if it's the latter it could get ugly. This bloke was associated with Sunderland & Hamburg. They're two huge warning signs.

• Subscriber

For what it's worth in normal circumstances I'd be buzzing for the Europa League but if we still can't even go then that's just a kick in the balls to be honest. The big redeeming factor (any of our fans who think we're above it can fuck off for what it's worth) is being able to go to that, if we aren't able to then that really does compound the disappointment, because I don't expect us to go particularly far in it. I think we're prime candidates for a surprise loss.

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

When we won the league don't forget how good our form going into that season was. I think the turnover between two seasons is even less this time around as well given there's only going to be six weeks difference. We've already had our three months off and came back even worse, granted, missing our best player.

I think injuries is just a bit of a get out excuse mind. This full strength Leicester side lost to Villa over two legs and got one point off Norwich. I'm not sure it would've made as big a difference as people think.

I had a read back through some old threads last night just to gain a bit of perspective. Gonzo was glad that Southampton beat us because of our supposed threat to Liverpool. That was on 11th January, match number 21.

To go from that to finishing 4 points off 4th is a monumental collapse. To me the worry isn't this season but it's next. We've collapsed big time and with the likelihood of a very tricky fixture list next season, one far bigger than this one, it doesn't bode well.

We need to recruit very well this summer, we need to be clever about it, but I'm not holding out much hope of that either. We've somehow brought in a bloke with a dreadful record. I'm really just hoping that he's brought in to oversee what recruitment system we already had in place, rather than being given a free reign, because if it's the latter it could get ugly. This bloke was associated with Sunderland & Hamburg. They're two huge warning signs.

You remind me a bit of us last season, although your collapse has gone on a bit longer. Emery was having a pretty top notch first season, we was looking set for top 4 and we was having a good run in the Europa. Ended up bottling top 4 and got smashed in the Europa final. That pretty much finished Emery’s time at Arsenal, the players just didn't turn up for him at the start of this season and he was gone.

Can see something similar happening with you, unless you get recruitment spot on and the players buy back in. Who's the new person in charge of your recruitment then? 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

You remind me a bit of us last season, although your collapse has gone on a bit longer. Emery was having a pretty top notch first season, we was looking set for top 4 and we was having a good run in the Europa. Ended up bottling top 4 and got smashed in the Europa final. That pretty much finished Emery’s time at Arsenal, the players just didn't turn up for him at the start of this season and he was gone.

Can see something similar happening with you, unless you get recruitment spot on and the players buy back in. Who's the new person in charge of your recruitment then? 

I do see similarities between us and Arsenal. I've had Arsenal for years down as a talented, but flimsy side, and that's how I feel about us - and it's honestly ten times as infuriating as a less talented, steely side, take that from somebody who has seen both xD

Can remember the way you fell out of the top four as well. Was absolutely ridiculous. Didn't you have a run of something like Leicester, Wolves, Palace and Brighton and get one point. We absolutely thrashed you at our place.

Lee Congerton is his name. He is Rodgers' man so Rodgers for me carries the can if this doesn't go well. I really don't see why we've appointed him. Sunderland & Hamburg for god sake. Celtic fans also slaughtered him as well and said he's very poor. Like I say my hope is he's just come in to keep ticking what we have in place (which for the most part is quite a good system you would have to say) but you can't ignore the warning signs.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I do see similarities between us and Arsenal. I've had Arsenal for years down as a talented, but flimsy side, and that's how I feel about us - and it's honestly ten times as infuriating as a less talented, steely side, take that from somebody who has seen both xD

Can remember the way you fell out of the top four as well. Was absolutely ridiculous. Didn't you have a run of something like Leicester, Wolves, Palace and Brighton and get one point. We absolutely thrashed you at our place.

Lee Congerton is his name. He is Rodgers' man so Rodgers for me carries the can if this doesn't go well. I really don't see why we've appointed him. Sunderland & Hamburg for god sake. Celtic fans also slaughtered him as well and said he's very poor. Like I say my hope is he's just come in to keep ticking what we have in place (which for the most part is quite a good system you would have to say) but you can't ignore the warning signs.

Yeah to be honest I could've seen us do exactly what you just did this season and yes our run in was very favourable. Problem was Emery prioritised the Europa and rested players in the league, which fucked us because we virtually had no depth at the end.

Interesting about Lee Congerton. Surprised a club as good in the market as you've been over the years has trusted someone from a manager recommendation. Seems to have a pretty shoddy record. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah to be honest I could've seen us do exactly what you just did this season and yes our run in was very favourable. Problem was Emery prioritised the Europa and rested players in the league, which fucked us because we virtually had no depth at the end.

Interesting about Lee Congerton. Surprised a club as good in the market as you've been over the years has trusted someone from a manager recommendation. Seems to have a pretty shoddy record. 

Emery seemed to get stuck in this half way point between league and Europa League, and invariably that results in you falling short of both. It's unfuriating but I can see how it happens.

I don't really think we can blame anybody but ourselves for this. Rodgers talking us down has annoyed me. Just trying to save his own arse. We aren't a deluded enough fanbase to expect the title again but having seen what you can achieve with a can-do attitude it simply isn't going to wash to take the other approach. It's the big thing that turned people against Puel and Rodgers is in danger of the same happening. The owner thinks differently to that. Our owner is very ambitious - rightly or wrongly.

Archived