talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Isle of Man

football forum

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@RondónEFC I’ve just seen this

I was going to post about it. The team are doing very well for their first season. Sadly I still haven't got around to going to a game, really should have gone to this one. My brother was there though.

This win took them to the top of the league although West Didsbury and Chorlton still have some games in hand to go back ahead.

I was out last night and saw a bunch of their fans sampling the Manx nightlife. It's really nice to see people coming over here for football and enjoying the novelty. Obviously if they weren't travelling overseas, they probably wouldn't stay the night and make a weekend of it. That part of football culture where you go to a game and take in the location and the area of the opposition team is something we've never had over here when I was growing up so it's lovely to see it now to be honest.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RondónEFC it's quite interesting as far as I'm aware isle of man, Guernsey and jersey are crown dependencies and not part of the uk. You could argue they have more of a right to have their own  national teams than the 4 uk  countries that do. I know its of topic but dont want to start a new thread for it 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2020 at 19:49, RandoEFC said:

That's right, I'm actually doing this.

Unknown.png.4146bf53f8b08113df8f8e7cf44d7961.png

From the start of next season, my home, the Isle of Man will enter a club side into the English football pyramid. This is quite exciting for me as someone who has never had a "local team". Of course, as an Everton fan of many years, I'm not just going to fall out of club with "my" team and hop onto this new bandwagon, but I will become at the very least a casual follower of FC Isle of Man.

The island has always had their "international" team made up of the best squad of local Sunday League players, who return to their club sides during the regular season. This is separate to that, and while the club's initial playing staff will be made up of pretty much the same players who will transfer properly to FC Isle of Man, in the long term they could sign players from anywhere in the world like any other club.

The club will start next season in the 10th tier of the English football pyramid, joining the "phoenix" club Bury AFC in the First Division North section of the North West Counties Football League. This thread may become, at best, a poorly-maintained chronicle of their progress through the divisions that is only really interesting to me, or I might never post in it again, but I would like to keep it updated as a case study in what it's like for a brand new football club to enter the pyramid. I personally think they'll be pretty competitive during their first few seasons with the best players from a population of 80,000 to pick from.

If nothing else, it's a good idea for a Football Manager save next time I get an updated version of the game.

Lad I work with goes all over with the Bury team. Decent support too.

Think they had around 1,800 at the last game. Wanted Nelson to join them but they lost out in the play offs to Holker old boys 

Good luck to IOM 

Archived