talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 - General Chat

What I dont understand during this Covid thing is how the EPL clubs are still splashing out such big amounts on transfers, for average Bundesliga players at that.  OK, they are clubs with rich owners immune to the normal economic downturn most of the world is feeling (though not all, my company is having a record breaking year thanks to covid) but no more money from gate receipts and concessions, apparently tv contracts are being cancelled, not to mention without the fans, the games just will seem like pre scripted WWEpl matches, so winning titles is not the same, at least for me, it all seems hollow. 

I know, it is good that society is still trying to go on and we still need our distractions, but I would have thought that the transfer market would have slowed down.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
56 minutes ago, binder said:

What I dont understand during this Covid thing is how the EPL clubs are still splashing out such big amounts on transfers, for average Bundesliga players at that.  OK, they are clubs with rich owners immune to the normal economic downturn most of the world is feeling (though not all, my company is having a record breaking year thanks to covid) but no more money from gate receipts and concessions, apparently tv contracts are being cancelled, not to mention without the fans, the games just will seem like pre scripted WWEpl matches, so winning titles is not the same, at least for me, it all seems hollow. 

I know, it is good that society is still trying to go on and we still need our distractions, but I would have thought that the transfer market would have slowed down.

TV money. Yes one contract with China has been cancelled but there's still millions/billions floating around the league. 

There'll be a hit from lack of gate receipts etc but it'll barely scratch the surface compared to what the Premier League gets from Sky/BT/Amazon Prime. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

TV money. Yes one contract with China has been cancelled but there's still millions/billions floating around the league. 

There'll be a hit from lack of gate receipts etc but it'll barely scratch the surface compared to what the Premier League gets from Sky/BT/Amazon Prime. 

Not to mention shirt sales, i see every club has done their monthly new kit introduction, from what I have seen, pastel, jagged stripes is the new style for this autumn,  as long as they are vertical jagged stripes, it makes the wearer look slimmer.

• Subscriber
On 11/09/2020 at 18:36, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Interesting fact... Newcastle United have the biggest gap between home points and away points of all clubs in Premier League history (all seasons combined).

I'd have fancied that to be Fulham. I swear they've won about 3 away games ever in the league.

• Subscriber

There've been 39 goals in 8 games this weekend in the Premier League. If there are another 10 in tomorrows games, it becomes the highest scoring weekend (goals per game) in Premier League history.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

5 goals in two games needed to break the record. Doable. Plus, there is every chance when you are still waiting for City to play.

Villa v Blades could let us down though if they both play defensive. Hopefully if there's two or more goals in that one, it's on.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

5 goals in two games needed to break the record. Doable. Plus, there is every chance when you are still waiting for City to play.

Villa v Blades could let us down though if they both play defensive. Hopefully if there's two or more goals in that one, it's on.

Yeah I remember Villa vs Sheff Utd was diabolical when football got restarted in June. Then there was that goal that never was... 

I’m thinking about putting money on Everton winning the league just because it certainly feels like an Everton fan made a deal with the devil at some point this week... and if that’s the case, I’m going to make some money off it.

• Subscriber
On 29/09/2020 at 03:53, Dan said:

It was another high total. 38 this weekend. Not quite at the top but in the top 5% or so. It can't be a coincidence that this has happened twice already in just three games.

41 this weekend. This is total madness. That's three weeks on the bounce you've probably entered the top 5% of all time goalscoring weekends. The handball penalty thing is definitely a factor but what is going on?  We're averaging four goals a bloody game here. The level of defending seems to be absolutely appalling, although there's a part of me wondering if these are some bizarre side effects of a really fucked up calendar.

This season really could be just plain odd. It's only 4 games but I can't remember anything quite like this.

• Administrator

The new 'solution' for airing games while fans can't attend is for Sky/BT to show games not on the normal TV schedule on a PPV basis for £15 a pop.

Absolutely ridiculous. 

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding Season Ticket Holders??? from last season and this?? 

I will assume that people are not bothering this season and you might have thought that those that forked out for one but never got to use it at the end might be in line for a discount or something?? 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding Season Ticket Holders??? from last season and this?? 

I will assume that people are not bothering this season and you might have thought that those that forked out for one but never got to use it at the end might be in line for a discount or something?? 

I think because each club did it so differently, it's kind of a moot point for now when it comes to deciding what Sky/BT do. They may just leave it up to the club to sort something out. For the final few games of last season, Leicester gave out free NowTV codes for fans to use to watch the games that weren't free-to-air. With Sky/BT announcing this, I doubt Leicester (or any club) will do such a thing - it would be great if they did but I can't see it.  

Leicester said you had to pay a fee this season (£70) to ensure you don't lose your ST next season. This fee would come off next season's ST cost if there's no full attendance allowed this season, which looks to be how it is heading.

Other clubs like Man City just deferred any cost for a ST to next year because they can obviously afford to do so. 

Apparently all the revenue from this is going to clubs to make up for lost matchday revenue. It's a bit more palatable that way, but you have to question the amount of money that was just spent in the transfer window if this is considered necessary. Remember when we were all in this together?

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Apparently all the revenue from this is going to clubs to make up for lost matchday revenue. It's a bit more palatable that way, but you have to question the amount of money that was just spent in the transfer window if this is considered necessary. Remember when we were all in this together?

That's the bit that also gets me. Clubs just spent upwards of £1bn+ on transfer fees. Now they need extra money. 

I don’t mind paying, but 15 quid a pop is a pisstake. If you’re a Burnley Fan, you’d have to shell out a fortune. If it were a set season pass then you could accept it, but that price is mad. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived