talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 - General Chat

• Subscriber

Vintage Premier greed. I wouldn't bet against the ridiculously high scoring weekends to be somehow linked to it either. Wouldn't put it past them.

Loads of people will stream illegally and quite right too.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

You other 19 clubs can fuck off :ph34r:. Despicable, the lot of you. 

That's probably the single best move we've made. I think we've done a lot good but I think that's right up there.

Seems fair seeing as the PL have just spent over a billion on new players and agent fees xD

Why on earth is it October 2020 and no one has still come up with the idea to run a subscription service as a trial for this season?

Instead of £15 a game, charge £15 a month, you can watch any Premier League game that isnt a Sky or BT one for a 'Netflix friendly' price.

That would sell no bother. I could tell you know I wouldn't think twice.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Seems fair seeing as the PL have just spent over a billion on new players and agent fees xD

Why on earth is it October 2020 and no one has still come up with the idea to run a subscription service as a trial for this season?

Instead of £15 a game, charge £15 a month, you can watch any Premier League game that isnt a Sky or BT one for a 'Netflix friendly' price.

Spot on mate, how this hasn't been implemented yet is baffling. The NBA has been doing it years, £25 a month and you can watch every game. I'm sure most would stomach that if they got every game. 

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

See that's decent idea, have a one off optional payment at the beginning of each month to watch games.. I would do that no problem 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

See that's decent idea, have a one off optional payment at the beginning of each month to watch games.. I would do that no problem 

Exactly, I mean you've literally took one look and thought "I'll have a bit of that" and sold, no quibble.

They would make a killing, honestly. It works a treat with the NFL and the NBA as @Chaaay AFC alluded too.

But greed is a powerful thing.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

But greed is a powerful thing.

And there is the problem... every time, trying to squeeze the maximum amount from everything, always using these situations as an opportunity to fleece as much as possible out of each individual rather than actually providing a decent service for a reasonable price.. 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

And there is the problem... every time, trying to squeeze the maximum amount from everything, always using these situations as an opportunity to fleece as much as possible out of each individual rather than actually providing a decent service for a reasonable price.. 

Even more so at this time of year after months of negativity, redundancies all over the show, people struggling to make ends meat, Christmas on the horizon...

Football suddenly becomes low on the pecking order for many, even though for a lot of people, having it back is a massive release from when it wasn't happening at all.

They had started to get it so right with the free to air games idea that it feels weird that clubs have gone backwards charging an unrealistic fee for one off games.

The working man's sport is being taken away from the working man it seems. Let's hope people don't cave and common sense prevails.

Do we want football to be like the NBA and NFL? Two terrible sports watched by terrible people. The tv packages we have now are fine as they are. 

Alas, we are but an American colony now. We want everything from our sofas. The knock on effect is more clubs dying, the roots of the game completely ripped up and communities left without football clubs. That’s business though, right? Market economics...such a pernicious and malign influence on society.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but I’ve never met anyone into American sports who is anything but an insufferable gimp. It’s even taking over the BBC now, so depressing. 

Or maybe you’re just miserable? 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

How many people are going to pay for that vs this PPV idea? If my slightly bevved maths are correct, there are 6 games a week not normally televised, which makes 24 a month. So you'd need 24 times as many who'd pay for that as will pay for a single game a month. I can probably tell you why they're doing it this way

I'm not trying to have a pop at anyone but this idea comes up every now and then, and it ultimately boils down to "why don't they show us more games for significantly less money than they currently do?". The answer is extremely obvious

Worth noting that the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. subscriptions come with blackouts for teams in your local area and games shown on your local networks, so you have to pay for those TV packages on top.

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

Or maybe you’re just miserable? 

I am undoubtedly a miser, to my own chagrin at times. But what else can someone be hearing people actively calling for the greatest sport on earth to be more like the excuses for sport they practise over the ocean? Incredibly sad how it’s infiltrated our culture.

8 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Love seeing the Little Englander come out when someone dare suggest that someone elsewhere in the world might do something better than they do xD

Little Englander? This poses just as much a threat to Scottish football as English. Disregard the fact that American sports are all awful for a second. If you think every single being available to view is a good thing then I’d suggest you either don’t care about lower league football or are ignorant of it. Far from being little Englander I am ashamed of how this country has allowed itself to become so vacuous and stupid. We should look to Europe rather than the USA.

That’s before you get into the general social impact. We are the most obese nation in Europe. How about not everything is via the tv?

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Little Englander? This poses just as much a threat to Scottish football as English. Disregard the fact that American sports are all awful for a second. If you think every single being available to view is a good thing then I’d suggest you either don’t care about lower league football or are ignorant of it.

That’s before you get into the general social impact. We are the most obese nation in Europe. How about not everything is via the tv?

A threat? PPV is the only reason that most Scottish clubs are surviving at the moment.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I'd happily pay a fiver. This is a disgrace under current circumstances.

I'd struggle to even justify that really, considering the amount spent in the transfer window, furloughing or making staff redundant that they could have easily paid for and still keeping your season ticket money. 

Absolute disgrace and shows the sheer greed of the Premiership and their clubs, especially when a club like Macclesfield goes under over £500k.

You have sky moaning people stream too many games already and now they want to charge more?

Honestly the way every Premier League club has handled this pandemic is absolutely shameful. From crying poverty in April to spending millions on transfers last month whilst the football league is on its knees. Its really shown them for their true colours. This was our last chance to bring the English football pyramid back together and the bigger clubs just seem content on driving a further wedge. You could see from the quotes from The Manchester City sporting director that there is an interest in these clubs going bust for the benefit of their reserve teams. Arseholes.

My own club is no better. Crystal Palace charged fans hundreds of pounds for a season ticket they won't use this season. People were told if they didn't pay they would lose their seat next season. To do that and then charge £15 to watch Palace play Fulham is shameful. Especially with that brand of football we put out every week. I think clubs like Crawleyand AFC Wimbledon need my money more to be honest.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

This won’t be a temporary thing. Just like when Barcelona had UNICEF on their shirts, it’s a cynical ploy to get people used to the fact.

So what are clubs supposed to do? Not show these games and somehow make up 40% of their income elsewhere?

Scottish clubs are more reliant on matchday income than almost anywhere else in Europe. PPV is at least reducing these losses.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived