talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 - General Chat

On 12/10/2020 at 11:10, The Palace Fan said:

Listening to The Price of Football, Kieron Maguire has delved deeper and it appears the clubs were given an ultimatum by broadcasters who have stated they are not going to show the additional games for free any more. They've justified the £14.95 price (which was non negotiable) because of the number of cameras. Which is doesnt make sense as the majority of additional cameras are used to support MOTD/highlights as opposed to live football.

I was reading an article today where BT Sport said they didn't set the pricing for matches but the PL clubs did?? The money is supposed to be getting filtered down through the leagues but no-one knows how much or when that might happen... 

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said on Wednesday that the pay-per-view price was "defensible" but that the broadcasters were ultimately the price-setters.

Marc Allera, the CEO of BT's consumer division, said the price had been proposed by the Premier League and that his company was simply covering their costs in screening these additional games.

"We had a suggested retail price which was suggested to us by the Premier League," said Allera, who was speaking as mobile network operator EE announced that customers will be among the first to gain access to Match Day Experience, a new set of viewing features on the BT Sport app.

"We also have a cost that they're charging us for those games. We're certainly not making significant amounts of money out of this, we're pretty much just covering our costs to put these games on."

Allera suggested that the Premier League wanted to use some of the money generated from pay-per-view sales to assist clubs further down the pyramid.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/bt-sport-says-premier-league-not-broadcasters-insisted-on-14-95-price-for-pay-per-view-games/ar-BB1a4AQL?ocid=msedgntp

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD

Thought this was pretty good from the Toons, was reading about it earlier where the fans were encouraged to avoid paying the fee and give it to charity instead, I think they raised between 20 -40K for a local charity.. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Thought this was pretty good from the Toons, was reading about it earlier where the fans were encouraged to avoid paying the fee and give it to charity instead, I think they raised between 20 -40K for a local charity.. 

Yeah £16k for a foodbank I heard. Quality but didn't get enough publicity in the slightest!

Just now, Stan said:

Yeah £16k for a foodbank I heard. Quality but didn't get enough publicity in the slightest!

Yea, shame that, they could start a trend among other supporters...

Talking of things like this I was reading an article earlier about Gareth Bale and the header said "Bale was the only player in the team that didn't agree to a 10% pay cut at Madrid"  and that's what they led with so anyway I was reading through this article and it covers his recent troubles at Madrid etc then right down the bottom of the article it happened to mention that although he didn't agree to the pay cut ( advised by his agent ) he did opt to pay a lump sum of £500,000 to a charity in Wales I believe it was... No mention of that in the headline though?? It just made him out to come across as a bit selfish.. naughty really, I think there are quite a few players out there doing their bit for charity that just goes unseen but don't get many reports about that do we?? 

That's why I have a bit of new found respect for Sado Mane who has a well grounded approach to money and fame and has done shit loads for the underprivileged and still does. I only found that out by accident as well... 

41 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I know we have two games to go but just 16 goals across 8 games this weekend.

Is this the start of things beginning to 'settle down' or just an anomaly?

Hopefully we are. As much as I like seeing goals scored, some of the defending thus far has been Sunday league level. I wouldn’t have thought the fixtures tonight will add to that tally much either. 

How many points do the winners end up on this season? I certainly don't think there will be a repeat of the last three seasons where it's around 100. Do think Liverpool or Man City are still capable of going on a run to hit around 90 though

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

How many points do the winners end up on this season? I certainly don't think there will be a repeat of the last three seasons where it's around 100. Do think Liverpool or Man City are still capable of going on a run to hit around 90 though

80+ I reckon. Agree with you no team gets close to 100.

I think eventually a side will pick up momentum and go on a longer winning run than we've seen so far. Probably yourselves to be honest. 

The start of this season has really made it hard to call though. So many teams have gained a bit of belief that they can beat anyone. Sides have taken a bit longer to get going or find their feet, probably due to lack of pre-season. It's probably around now and/or next month you might start to see some consistency or some sides grind out wins and go on a bit of a run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

For the teams in Europe, it's a game every 3 days from 21st of November until the 20th March.

Apart from one week in December and one week in February.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

??

I don't dispute any of that what they say in the article but it's not a game every 3 days for clubs in Europe until 20th March :what:. It doesn't state there will be that in the article...

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

??

I don't dispute any of that what they say in the article but it's not a game every 3 days for clubs in Europe until 20th March :what:. It doesn't state there will be that in the article...

Mistakenly quoted you when I posted the link and I was too lazy to edit it. 

Sorry not sorry. 

• Administrator

Solskjaer and Klopp's ranting seem to have worked...

Who has the shortest recovery?

Teams' festive kick-off times and gap between matches
Team 26 Dec* 27 Dec* 28 Dec* 29 Dec* 30 Dec* Turnaround time**
Chelsea 17:30   17:30     48:00
Everton 20:00   20:00     48:00
Crystal Palace 15:00   15:00     48:00
Man City 20:00   20:00     48:00
Wolves   19:15   20:00   48:45
Leicester 12:30   15:00     50:30
Aston Villa 15:00   17:30     50:30
West Brom   16:30   18:00   51:30
West Ham   14:15   18:00   51:45
Brighton   14:15   18:00   51:45
Burnley   12:00   18:00   54:00
Leeds   12:00   18:00   54:00
Sheffield United 20:00     18:00   70:00
Tottenham   19:15     18:00 70:45
Arsenal 17:30     18:00   72:30
Southampton 15:00     18:00   75:00
Liverpool   16:30     20:00 75:30
Man Utd 12:30     20:00   79:30
Newcastle 20:00       20:00 96:00
Fulham 15:00       18:00 99:00

Fulham & Newcastle have done alright out of the games moved as well. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived