talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SPFL Matchday - 2020/21

football forum

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

Apologies Stan, I didn't see this post but I would have opted for a win for my team in a tight game. As it turned out we were not at the races first half but upped the pace 2nd half. Not a great spectacle but a win's a win and if you don't play to your best but still win, well it is certainly a bonus. The Celtic sending off was a stonewaller, more like something out of WWE. Nineteen points in front of Celtic who have 3 games in hand. Looking good.

That old adage of 'sign of champions when you don't play well but still win' applies here. 

I think it was a red card too.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, the Monday morning after a Rangers and Celtc game. Where half the Celtc fans will have taken the day off work and all the Rangers fans will be ripping the piss out of all their Celtc supporting workmates that didn't.

• Subscriber

The wife's big sis is a Hoops supporter her hubby is a Gers man, Saturday just gone he was laughing his arse off and giving her jip, she rang the wife up yesterday for a natter and wouldn't speak to me as I had this playing in the background, :4_joy: :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Good result up in Aberdeen last Sunday coming away with a 1-2 win and another 3 points in the bag. I thought Rangers started slowly and were unlucky with a couple of opportunities but got into the game and then got a penalty courtesy of Hedges bringing down Morelos which resulted in the Aberdeen man being red carded. Personally I thought he would have received a yellow but apparently (as explained to Derek McInness by the ref) because Hedges made no attempt to play the ball he had no option but send him off. Having said my opinion about Hedges colour of card, I honestly felt that Curtis main was one lucky man to only receive a yellow for a terrible challenge on Barisic. Anyway, two well taken goals by Morelos saw Rangers go two up & playing well. Second half Aberdeen to their credit got back into the game and pulled one back but thankfully Rangers held on for a deserved win.

Not that they'll get any sympathy from me but unfortunately for Celtic they dropped two points in their, ahem, delayed game at home against Hibs.

• 2 weeks later...

At home today against Ross County and I'm hoping for a big, nay huge response after last weekend's nonsense of a performance away to Motherwell. It really was poor, considering Rangers blew them away at Fir Park early in the season. Still, no harm done in the grand scheme of things as Celtic also dropped two points on Wednesday at Livingston.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Pugwash said:

At home today against Ross County and I'm hoping for a big, nay huge response after last weekend's nonsense of a performance away to Motherwell. It really was poor, considering Rangers blew them away at Fir Park early in the season. Still, no harm done in the grand scheme of things as Celtic also dropped two points on Wednesday at Livingston.

3-0 Rangers. Sounds very easy. Even missed a penalty as well.

6 hours ago, Pugwash said:

Great win today, good to see Pugwash.

21 hours ago, Stan said:

3-0 Rangers. Sounds very easy. Even missed a penalty as well.

19 hours ago, Moon Monkey said:

Great win today, good to see Pugwash.

It was lads, it was that. Big difference from last Sunday when we stuttered our way through the game. Yesterday ? What a response with some excellent football, excellent goals and a totally different attitude and absolutely brilliant to see Ryan Jack (future captain material imo) back AND scoring. Tell you what though. I take my hat off to big Yogi the Ross County manager and his players. At least they came to play football and gave it a go unlike the spoilers from Motherwell a few weeks ago. A 5-0 victory....great AND boosts the GD.

We play Hibs at Easter Road on Wednesday and I do believe we'll see a lot more effort than what they put in yesterday when gubbed 3-0 by St Johnstone in the League Cup semi.

13 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

It was lads, it was that. Big difference from last Sunday when we stuttered our way through the game. Yesterday ? What a response with some excellent football, excellent goals and a totally different attitude and absolutely brilliant to see Ryan Jack (future captain material imo) back AND scoring. Tell you what though. I take my hat off to big Yogi the Ross County manager and his players. At least they came to play football and gave it a go unlike the spoilers from Motherwell a few weeks ago. A 5-0 victory....great AND boosts the GD.

We play Hibs at Easter Road on Wednesday and I do believe we'll see a lot more effort than what they put in yesterday when gubbed 3-0 by St Johnstone in the League Cup semi.

And Motherwell got a point from the game, whereas Ross County got nothing and a massive dent to their goal difference. I'm pretty sure Motherwell's fans would be much happier than Ross County's.

19 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

This not Motherwell then?

Aye it is but re-read my post. The game you highlight was last week whereas I said in my original post  'unlike the spoilers from Motherwell a few weeks ago', the game which was played on 19/12/20 aka 'a few weeks ago'.

8 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

'Playing football the right way' is an extremely odd turn of phrase. 

But whatever it means, it really shouldn't involve giving up five goals (and giving away a penalty on top of that) and being so fragile defensively.

You just described Leeds United.

19 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

'Playing football the right way' is an extremely odd turn of phrase. 

If that's directed at me....I didn't say that, re-read my post  again! Irrespective, why do you think it's an extremely odd turn of phrase? It can be construed as to be whatever form/method of football the individual desires. Personally, the phrase 'Playing football' means trying to play an attractive, passing, attacking, trying to score game. I would rather watch that than watch a team that has very little intention other than remain in their own half for the majority of the game.

21 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

If that's directed at me....I didn't say that, re-read my post  again! Irrespective, why do you think it's an extremely odd turn of phrase? It can be construed as to be whatever form/method of football the individual desires. Personally, the phrase 'Playing football' means trying to play an attractive, passing, attacking, trying to score game. I would rather watch that than watch a team that has very little intention other than remain in their own half for the majority of the game.

To be honest, playing football means winning 3 points. Regardless of how you play that's what's most important. Our 3-0 win in Lyon where we only had 3 shots on target and 30% off possession. Lyon slapped us that night and all we done was park the bus.

11 minutes ago, Rab said:

To be honest, playing football means winning 3 points. Regardless of how you play that's what's most important. Our 3-0 win in Lyon where we only had 3 shots on target and 30% off possession. Lyon slapped us that night and all we done was park the bus.

I'm not disputing that mate and I fully accept that any team's manager has to set out his stall as he deems fit. My post/s were made from a personal point of view on how I prefer to see the game played.

1 hour ago, Pugwash said:

You were praising Ross County for a performance that could significantly damage their season. They now, after that result have the worst goal difference in the league, whilst they are in severe danger of relegation.

Being so stubborn about having to 'play football' costs teams dearly when approaching teams at a higher level. And it's not just about Ross County, but look at Celtic under Brendan Rodgers. They went into the Champions League, didn't change their way of playing and got humbled badly in Barcelona and in Paris.

Seeing your team concede goal after goal, I don't think fans are comforted, when they've seen another way of approaching these games having far better outcomes.

As mentioned above, I'm sure Rangers fans enjoyed their run in Europe in 2008 and it was hardly close to anything free flowing football with Kirk Broadfoot. 

Do you actually read my posts and take in what I say ?

29 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

You were praising Ross County for a performance

Yep, I did that, not because it gives Rangers a better chance of winning because, to me, it is better on the eye to watch. Also I did reply to Rab :

1 hour ago, Pugwash said:

I'm not disputing that mate and I fully accept that any team's manager has to set out his stall as he deems fit. My post/s were made from a personal point of view on how I prefer to see the game played.

32 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Being so stubborn about having to 'play football' costs teams dearly when approaching teams at a higher level

You might be better giving big Yogi a telephone call with your words of wisdom mate rather than trying to incorrectly pick holes in what I say.

38 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

As mentioned above, I'm sure Rangers fans enjoyed their run in Europe in 2008 and it was hardly close to anything free flowing football

Of course, but remind me, were Rangers praised or slaughtered by the MSM and supporters of other clubs for (as they say) 'parking the bus' ?

5 hours ago, Pugwash said:

Of course, but remind me, were Rangers praised or slaughtered by the MSM and supporters of other clubs for (as they say) 'parking the bus' ?

When did football become more about praise from the media rather than the league table or the trophies won? Why are people so insecure that they'd need constant reassurance from the newspapers or TV pundits?

I'm sure the thousands of fans at those matches, home and away, didn't have their enjoyment curtailed by what Chick Young had to say on the radio. Or what Graham Spiers wrote in his newspaper columns.

On 25/01/2021 at 19:54, ScoRoss said:

I'm sure the thousands of fans at those matches, home and away, didn't have their enjoyment curtailed by what Chick Young had to say on the radio. Or what Graham Spiers wrote in his newspaper columns.

Well, well, well, at last  something we can agree on    lol

When did football become more about praise from the media rather than the league table or the trophies won?

You tell me because I find that rather a feeble comment mate.

Why are people so insecure that they'd need constant reassurance from the newspapers or TV pundits?

If you are referring to me then I can assure you that you are so far off the mark it's truly laughable. The only reason I even mentioned it was because I had the audacity to call Motherwell spoilers when they played at Ibrox (a few weeks ago) compared to saying 'Ross County at least tried to play football' , to which you disagreed and gave some form of explanation more in defence of the way Motherwell played during that game with a view to getting some form of result. And please note I also mentioned 'supporters of other teams'. It was made very clear at the time that said method of playing by Rangers was ridiculed by all and sundry and wasn't good to watch - the point I made initially about Motherwell compared to Ross County (personal opinions and aw that). Just for clarification, I don't give a monkey's chuff as to how the scum media or supporters of other teams view how Rangers played, play or will play. I hope that clears it up for you.

Managed to watch the Dundee Utd v Hibs game yesterday. Decent viewing for the neutral and a well deserved overall win for HIbs. I had the volume down and listened to the chit chats on Clyde SSB during the afternoon and being honest I never for a moment expected to hear what I did courtesy of Parkhead. After Celtic equalised St Mirren's opener I fully expected them to go on and win but not to be. Not that I'm complaining you understand. Anyway, another nail in Neil Lennon's coffin methinks.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived