• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Final - Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea - Saturday 1st August, 2020

football forum

FA Cup Final  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/08/20 at 16:30

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I am not one to blame officiating for our club's defeat, but this was just shocking. All game, Taylor called fouls against us and virtually nothing for us. Nothing was called on our behalf the first half. 

Bellerin's studs got to the back of Chrisensen before Arsenal's 2nd. Why wasn't that looked at by VAR?

Kovacic won the ball for his 2nd yellow. Again, why wasn't that looked at by VAR?

Martinez looked well outside the box when he handled it. No replay or angle analysis provided. WHY WASN'T THAT LOOKED BY VAR?

In the dying minutes, Pedro is blatantly fouled outside the box, IN FRONT OF TAYLOR, yet nothing was called. That was the cherry on top for me. 

What an absolute absurd final and yet another brilliant display on how English officials shouldn't be anywhere near a major tournament. 

2e040e36a9d8ff15b8b22b292277da8d.jpg

• Subscriber

It's easy to become numb to the bad decisions but this is a cup final ffs, completely unacceptable. Arsenal were the better side but again, the officiating there just doesn't make the result credible.

Bad decisions back in the day were at least understandable. Missed offsides, inconsistent yellow/red decisions etc. Now we get 1-2 clearly farcical decisions per game it seems. We can't give this or we can't overturn that because of some weird technicality which prevents the on pitch referee and the VAR from making a particular decision.

Surely it can't be worse next season...

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Usually I am not one to blame officiating for our club's defeat, but this was just shocking. All game, Taylor called fouls against us and virtually nothing for us. Nothing was called on our behalf the first half. 

Bellerin's studs got to the back of Chrisensen before Arsenal's 2nd. Why wasn't that looked at by VAR?

Kovacic won the ball for his 2nd yellow. Again, why wasn't that looked at by VAR?

Martinez looked well outside the box when he handled it. No replay or angle analysis provided. WHY WASN'T THAT LOOKED BY VAR?

In the dying minutes, Pedro is blatantly fouled outside the box, IN FRONT OF TAYLOR, yet nothing was called. That was the cherry on top for me. 

What an absolute absurd final and yet another brilliant display on how English officials shouldn't be anywhere near a major tournament. 

https://streamable.com/amp_player/7rj0jy?__twitter_impression=true

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

It's quite a fitting end to what's been a largely farcical season for me. A year where the officiating was supposed to have taken a step forward has just been exposed as being even worse than we feared. I'm not forgetting this one in a hurry.

38 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Fair enough. Doesn’t make any difference to the other three absurd decisions I’ve mentioned. 

With Pulisic off we were never going to score again so it’s no use getting irritated. Havertz, Ziyech, and Werner in and we will have game winners all over the pitch. 

On 07/07/2020 at 19:30, carefreeluke said:

James needs to tighten the fuck up, half arsed defending, been the case for a while now. Teams keep finding a way through on that right hand side of defence in general, Christensen just as bad at times.

It’s been a case recently for us anyway, Arteta tactically exploited it and fair play.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Funny how commentators weren't saying much about that during commentary. I didn't like they could see it but neither of them on BBC were astounded or anything like that that it wasn't reviewed properly. Not even like it's arguable that that should have been given. He's way out. 

Chelsea definitely have decisions they can complain about but overall I thought we were the better team and deserved the win. First trophy for Arteta, hope there are more to come.

28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Troopz celebrating the Pulisic injury like the obnoxious mug that he is. He is the reason people love watching Arsenal fail. 

Pulisic injured again? Poor kid is made of glass. 

Why do people put so much importance on referee decisions or VAR?

A one second decision changes everything in a game or season?

For the majority of cases, teams end up winning or finishing where they should do. You can only control what your team does and that’s it. We were unlucky with some decisions today but at the same time we shouldn’t be so shit at defending or toothless in attack. Arsenal controlled what they could and won the game. 

It’s like saying Man United finished 4th because of penalty decisions or Liverpool winning the league because of VAR. You can only control what you can. Don’t get me wrong, there are occasions where you can say that team were robbed because of referee decisions but for me the cases where you can say that and put that much significance on it are very rare indeed.

Arsenal weren’t amazing by any means but performed better and did what they needed to do to win the game. This game just highlighted our level, Europa league or Champions League (without ever challenging) and where we’ll continue to be if we continue relying on the same players.

Great win but some questionable calls from the referee... Chelsea werent great but they do have the right to complain about the result because of the refereeing.

Hope Auba stays and this should boost Arteta and the team's morale... 

3 minutes ago, Asura said:

Great win but some questionable calls from the referee... Chelsea werent great but they do have the right to complain about the result because of the refereeing.

Hope Auba stays and this should boost Arteta and the team's morale... 

We shouldn’t defend so poorly mate, been the case all season. We can’t complain about anything.

Kovacic has been diving in like that all season, he shouldn’t have been sent off but he shouldn’t risk it on a yellow or have committed such a poor foul to be on a yellow in a first place. 

It’s a very bitter pill to finish the season in this way against one of our biggest rivals but there was defending on show today that to be honest we’ve seen at times all season.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Why do people put so much importance on referee decisions or VAR?

A one second decision changes everything in a game or season?

For the majority of cases, teams end up winning or finishing where they should do. You can only control what your team does and that’s it. We were unlucky with some decisions today but at the same time we shouldn’t be so shit at defending or toothless in attack. Arsenal controlled what they could and won the game. 

It’s like saying Man United finished 4th because of penalty decisions or Liverpool winning the league because of VAR. You can only control what you can. Don’t get me wrong, there are occasions where you can say that team were robbed because of referee decisions but for me the cases where you can say that and put that much significance on it are very rare indeed.

Arsenal weren’t amazing by any means but performed better and did what they needed to do to win the game. This game just highlighted our level, Europa league or Champions League (without ever challenging) and where we’ll continue to be if we continue relying on the same players.

I think you missed it entirely, no one is saying Arsenal won because of the decisions, it isn't their fault the officiating is terrible; they just took it in stride like any other club.

Because I'd rather lose 5-0 in a properly officiated match than a scrappy 2-1 loss with the referee ruining the game. It isn't even about the loss at all, It's about consistency, quality, and holding the game to a high standard, which didn't happen today. The FA Cup Final is the biggest match in England and for it to be treated in such a way is criminal. When this game is done and dusted what people should be talking about is the match itself, not what the referee did or didn't do.

You can take the loss in stride if you like, but you should never accept such low level officiating on the highest level of English football, it is embarrassing for you lot because this is broadcasted to everywhere in the world now.

The only positive for the referee is that Chelsea have won so much in the last 15 years and will win again in the next 5 that this game won't be spoken of for the next 40 years as it would with other clubs. Leeds United in the European Cup final for example.

I can see why Chelsea fans are a bit peveed by some of the decisions, it's actually surprising they benefited us for once. What I will say is I do think Azpilicueta got lucky to get away with a red. I think they tried to justify by saying he was going for the ball, but Luiz has had 2 very similar against Chelsea and City where he was sent off. I think on another day a different ref would've sent him packing. 

Anyway its been such a shite season and I can't quite believe we've managed to pull off another cup win. Considering how shit we've been for 3 years now, this team can pull of a top performance especially when they're not expected to and don't have the pressure. It was actually the most passive I've been watching a final, I just don't really have a lot of interest in a lot of the players in this team. Nonetheless you have to give them massive credit two very good performances in the semi and final, very similar to the 17 Cup win. 

I do have a lot to say about this team and I do think the summer will be the most important window in our recent history. It will truly define whether we return to being a top club or continue to be mediocre. Arteta has shown good and bad signs, but fair play for pulling off a trophy. His first full season will be very interesting but once again so much of it will be determined by our actions in the transfer market. 

Fair play to Arsenal, what a funny old team they are. I didn't expect them to do that yesterday.

They have taken a lot of criticism, quite rightly too IMO because they have been mediocre, but credit to them for showing some bottle and coming back strongly. I'm thinking the likes of David Luiz in particular, who has quietly got on with his buisness and repaid the faith Arteta has for him.

Feel's like that Cup win has really came out the blue as well, almost under the radar. They were major underdogs against City and wouldn't have been fancied by many yesterday.

Pleased for Arteta to bag his first trophy. I like him, I like the way he speaks and I think over time and with the right support, he can get them back to being a Top 4 challenging team. That has to be the priority.

• The title was changed to FA Cup Final - Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea - Saturday 1st August, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived