talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Tarkowski - Is He That Good?

He is slowly building a reputation, but not a particularly loud one. Not many really talk about him and I really haven't seen too much of him to have an opinion but from his stats he looks like he never loses an aerial duel.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Spike said:

He is slowly building a reputation, but not a particularly loud one. Not many really talk about him and I really haven't seen too much of him to have an opinion but from his stats he looks like he never loses an aerial duel.

Big head, good tackle and can play the ball out from the back 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Maguire?

Not sure, Maguire can run with the ball but not sure how good his passing actually is. But I don't think there's a lot between Tarkowski and Maguire, apart from their valuations 

Just now, Danny said:

Not sure, Maguire can run with the ball but not sure how good his passing actually is. But I don't think there's a lot between Tarkowski and Maguire, apart from their valuations 

Glad we got that sorted out, mods lock this thread pleasexD

• Administrator

We've been interested in him for a while apparently. Given the lack of our centre back options that was glaringly obvious when Soyuncu got suspended, I wouldn't mind us buying him. Especially with plenty more games next season. 

Probably isn't much difference to Maguire. Maybe quicker than him? 

• Subscriber

I got told by someone ITK yesterday that we do want him this summer.

I personally don't think I'd do it. He is not bad but we're going to have to break our transfer record for him. He's 28 in November.

• The title was changed to James Tarkowski - Is He That Good?
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, Dan said:

I got told by someone ITK yesterday that we do want him this summer.

I personally don't think I'd do it. He is not bad but we're going to have to break our transfer record for him. He's 28 in November.

More than £40m?!

Really? I thought it was that amount last summer. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Stan said:

More than £40m?!

Really? I thought it was that amount last summer. 

That's just my own guess. Tielemans was £32mil though and not £40mil, and I do think Burnley will demand more than £32mil, which I don't blame them for.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, Danny said:

West Ham have bid £20m for a player touted at £40m, apparently Leicester were rejected at £30m last season....whoever’s in charge of signings there :clown:

You just want your sell on fee don't you :ph34r:xD

• Subscriber

Links to us getting stronger. Like I said back in July he's the one Rodgers/Congerton like.

I'm not completely convinced but we're getting a bit desperate for a centre back now. Our XI on Sunday could be a joke.

Tarkowski fits the bill, for me. He’s missed nine league games in three seasons and is more than comfortable on the ball (957 passes last season), which is a staple requirement of a Leicester, all of whom had over 1,000 successful passes each last season. If they can get him for a decent fee, it’s a good move for both. 

• Administrator

I think he'll be fine for us if we get him.

Especially in a back 3 which is an option Rodgers does seem to like every now and then. A back 3 of Soyuncu/Evans/Tarkowski would be suitable for us.

I think a lot of our fans expect the next superstar CB to be signed, at a cheap fee, ready for Premier League, and on a cheap wage no doubt. Unrealistic and won't happen.

Ironic cos some idiot fans wish we'd sign players with PL experience. We could sign one now, with a decent defensive ability, and that's still not good enough.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Think about what you just posted

Burnley is the ideal place to play as a defender as long as you aren’t very very shit. They defend as a unit, so you’ve got shitloads of help from pretty much everyone else on the pitch. They defend deep and are very compact and organised.

I think if you’re a competent top flight defender, you’ll look brilliant at Burnley.

So I think Tarkowski is a competent top flight defender. I just don’t think he’d be as good as he would be at Burnley if he’s on a side that plays more expansive football. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Burnley is the ideal place to play as a defender as long as you aren’t very very shit. They defend as a unit, so you’ve got shitloads of help from pretty much everyone else on the pitch. They defend deep and are very compact and organised.

I think if you’re a competent top flight defender, you’ll look brilliant at Burnley.

So I think Tarkowski is a competent top flight defender. I just don’t think he’d be as good as he would be at Burnley if he’s on a side that plays more expansive football. 

Because expansive football doesn't have defenders, it has midfielders in defence positions. The ideal fullback for an attacking team is just a box-to-box midfielder on the wings

Just now, Spike said:

Because expansive football doesn't have defenders, it has midfielders in defence positions. The ideal fullback for an attacking team is just a box-to-box midfielder on the wings

I think the defenders on top sides that are super well rounded are some of the most impressive players in football. They’re still expected to defend, but like you say... the fullbacks are now also playing like wingers or box to box players.

But CBs, all sides are expected to have them be competent as fuck at defending first and foremost. Anything else they offer is sort of just a bonus

• Subscriber

Evans is ageing as well, he could well be on the slope. Benkovic seems to be injury prone and I unfortunately think he will probably be sold in the next year or two, but I hope I'm wrong as he looks good. Soyuncu is a very good defender.

Tarkowski fits the bill in a way as he'd be able to come straight in and perform you would imagine.

We can't keep relying on Morgan. Great servant but for god sake he's 37 this season. It's too limiting to us as a team to have to compensate for playing a 37 year old in this day and age.

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Whilst I get the point about the way Burnley set up and agree in some respects, I also think you downplay his abilities.

Tarkowski is actually quite comfortable on the ball. He has played midfield in his early days and isn't really a 'kick it long' or 'lump it' defender. He's comfortable with the ball.

Neither is he a John Stones who tries to over complicate things mind. He's pretty much smack bang in the middle, and I think he could play for a better side than Burnley.

Leicester would actually be the perfect step up because whilst they are a higher quality team, they play the counter attack well against the higher possession based sides so I don't think he would really be that exposed anyway.

Archived