• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Flat Mates

football forum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Had different flatmates for each of my 3 years at Uni and then last year, I lived with a friend after I split with the ex. A mixture of good and bad experiences but as long as you have a rough idea of how they live and whether they look after stuff, you'll be alright.

Depends. Uni is the typical experience and great fun but it's a different world when you are on the 9-5 graft, have bills to pay and responsibilities to keep etc.

I have a houseshare with five others, none of them I knew before I moved and only two I really talk to, it's fine for what it is but certain elements I will not miss when I get my own place - some of us do shifts so it's rarely quiet all night, some people don't chip in with the housekeeping etc.

Depends what your mate is like obviously but you will notice traits you don't get along with after a while. The other thing I would urge you to consider is just how well you get on with them - you will spend a hell of a lot of time with them if you move in together - especially if it is just the two of you - you don't want to get two months into it and realise, having seen them every day etc., you are starting to run out of things to say and are starting to drift apart a bit. We all get along with mates we see once a week or whatever. Several hours a day? Hmm...

• Subscriber

Never had flatmates as such over the years and the only time I shared a room in my time was in my army days, in training at Woolwich in London I shared a room with 7 other trainee squaddies for 6 months then headed off to Germany and my new regiment and shared a room, the first roommate was a disaster, never kept his space tidy and did not shower regularly and smelt so I told him to get another room and I got a new roommate in 'Bluey' or Red Arse as we called him, half Australian like me. 

We knew each other's ways and I spent 5 years with him, did a tour of duty together in NI, got pissed as newts many a time in our room, NAAFI or German boozers, helped each other out when in a fight until I got demobbed and left Germany in 76, he had signed on for 9 years, I lost contact over the years.

7 minutes ago, tlr said:

Depends. Uni is the typical experience and great fun but it's a different world when you are on the 9-5 graft, have bills to pay and responsibilities to keep etc.

At Uni I suppose no one really cares all that much, between the drugs, parties and boozing I reckon it must all go by in a blur and seem like a right crack... 

Doing it as part of a 9-5 scenario though is different... I stayed with 3 different couples while up in Notts and although very friendly and welcoming it does have it's drawbacks and some of them were quite bad... worse thing is as a guest you can't really say much as they are doing you a favour no matter how bad some things get.. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

This. 

The kitchen was communal. One cunt would peel his potatoes in the sink (!!!) and leave the rubbish there. Absolute tramp. 

• Subscriber

I did security work at digs for loads of Uni students, men/women living in blocks of flats and it was a fucking nightmare, you were forever breaking up fights with students who were either pissed to the eye-balls or high as kites, the police were always there and if you left your security room to do a patrol you kept your eyes open on the rooms above, one security guy nearly got hit with a tv thrown out of a top floor flat window.

The majority of the students there were girls and guys who's parents were loaded, money-wise, and they were bought up with money and spoilt fucking brats, flashy cars sitting in the car-park etc and in the end security companies refused the contract there because the security officers would turn the shift(s) down, and that included me, my control offered me £6 an hour to do an 8 hour night shift there and I told them to fuck off, it ended up that only Uni security mobile patrols manned the site.    

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, tlr said:

I have a houseshare with five others, none of them I knew before I moved and only two I really talk to, it's fine for what it is but certain elements I will not miss when I get my own place - some of us do shifts so it's rarely quiet all night, some people don't chip in with the housekeeping etc.

Depends what your mate is like obviously but you will notice traits you don't get along with after a while. The other thing I would urge you to consider is just how well you get on with them - you will spend a hell of a lot of time with them if you move in together - especially if it is just the two of you - you don't want to get two months into it and realise, having seen them every day etc., you are starting to run out of things to say and are starting to drift apart a bit. We all get along with mates we see once a week or whatever. Several hours a day? Hmm...

This is the key thing to consider. Last year when I shared with my friend, it was great for a few months and then I started to notice that we had clashing personalities and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things which could have caused a lot more rifts if I hadn't have got out of there and moved to Leeds. I'm still really good friends with them though which is good.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

The kitchen was communal. One cunt would peel his potatoes in the sink (!!!) and leave the rubbish there. Absolute tramp. 

Someone forgot to turn off the stove after cooking and started a fire in our kitchen 😂

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I worked down South once for a few months until I bought the wife and kids down from Scotland and found a house and I lived in a bed-sit all by myself but we shared a communal kitchen with 3 other people and one couple had a fucking bad habit of leaving pots, pans, plates, knives etc piled in the kitchen sink thinking whoever wanted the sink would have to wash their mess up

No danger, I went straight to their door, banged on it and told them to wash and remove their items as I did and others when using the kitchen otherwise I would sling them in the bin, they got the message and washed and removed them, I always had my own pots, plates etc in my own room and I always made sure they were washed up after. 

58 minutes ago, Stan said:

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Someone forgot to turn off the stove after cooking and started a fire in our kitchen 😂

Must be the same guy

• Subscriber

I shared the room with another student (well, each of us had a separate room but shared the bathroom), so there was little privacy. Other than that, great times. Communal showers was the only thing I hated about it. 

I remember in my Fulham days this lass would turn the washing machine off if your clothes were in and she wanted to use it. You'd come down to a bag full of soaking wet clothes. At the time I was convinced it was because of her communist upbringing that she had no respect for private property :4_joy::4_joy::4_joy:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Oh man the amount of times the oven would be left on in our kitchen was stupid. Virtually every week at some point there'd be a fire alarm and everyone had to get out. 

17 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I remember in my Fulham days this lass would turn the washing machine off if your clothes were in and she wanted to use it. You'd come down to a bag full of soaking wet clothes. At the time I was convinced it was because of her communist upbringing that she had no respect for private property :4_joy::4_joy::4_joy:

I’d be taking her clothes and fucking chucking them in the road.

• Subscriber

They banned electric toaster's/grills in an old retired servicemen rooms here in Edinburgh, one of my security's jobs, old boys would have in their rooms but on too many occasions, they would leave an electric toaster or grill on, fall asleep, the toast would burn and the fire alarms would go off.   

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh man the amount of times the oven would be left on in our kitchen was stupid. Virtually every week at some point there'd be a fire alarm and everyone had to get out. 

Same 😂 but that one time was particularly bad, it was in the middle of the night so nobody noticed it early enough. There were flames in the kitchen and the whole floor was filled with smoke, you couldn't see a damn thing... The fire brigade arrived, we had to get out, some people were panicking. I had to convince my roommate that lecture notes are definitely not a top priority and she should take her passport, bank card and laptop instead 😂 

• Subscriber

Where abouts are you moving to bud? I think it all depends, after living on my own for about 6 years I dont think I could have ever had a roommate, however if a couple of my buddies or brother where looking It could have worked. Seeing as you say they're your buddy I think alot depends on your personalities and the space itself to some degree. 

3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Where abouts are you moving to bud? I think it all depends, after living on my own for about 6 years I dont think I could have ever had a roommate, however if a couple of my buddies or brother where looking It could have worked. Seeing as you say they're your buddy I think alot depends on your personalities and the space itself to some degree. 

Terrace/Prince Rupert. The Kitimat area basically. 

Archived