talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Europa League - Round of 16 (2nd Legs) - 5-6th August, 2020

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seville are showing the kind of form that has seen them win several Europa League competitions. They really dominated Roma in that first half, forcing saves from the Roma keeper Lopez, as well as hitting the bar. They have deserved their 2-0 lead and more goals are inevitable in the 2nd half if they keep up this performance.

As for Leverkusen, they controlled most of the 1st half against Rangers, but didn't manage to score. Havertz has come closest by hitting the bar and then shooting narrowly wide when one on one on goal. The Germans have created several other chances, but the goal has yet to arrive, as Rangers to their credit have battled hard. 

But it clearly looks like we will see Leverkusen and Seville in the next round, barring a real shock in the 2nd half.

Leverkusen take the lead through Diaby!

Aranguiz played the ball over the Rangers defence and Diaby controlled the ball with his chest before providing a clinical finish past McGregor in the Rangers goal. Great goal by Leverkusen!

Ocampos has a spectacular flying volley at the Roma goal, but it is straight at the keeper Lopez. However, the Argentine Ocampos has been giving the Roma defence all sorts of headaches this evening. He looks a  quality player.

Kounde scores and puts the ball in the net, after connecting from a cross by Munir. But the goal is going to be checked for offside.

The goal is not given by the referee, no goal. But it was a very tight call.

Been a little off on what Sevilla is doing this season, so I don't want to comment much and being unfair, but it seems like they play as a Lopetegui's team would from what I remember. What I mean is kinda intricate build up, but then nothing on the final third. They don't have movement, only move the ball sideways and backwards, can't move the opponent (because like every Lope team they have almost no unlocking pattern, only being spread out wide) and are predictable when they have the ball and the other team is fully organized. 

Leverkusen win 1-0 on the night against Rangers and 4-1 on aggregate. They controlled most of the match and deservedly won, but it wasn't the best Leverkusen performance. They looked quite match rusty having not played competitive football for a long time. 

Seville were very dominant in their game against Roma and to be honest, the 2-0 result, kind of flattered Roma a bit, such was the dominance of Seville. The Andalusians created so many chances in the game and I think that they will be tough opponents for any side they meat in this competition.

7 minutes ago, Takezo said:

Been a little off on what Sevilla is doing this season, so I don't want to comment much and being unfair, but it seems like they play as a Lopetegui's team would from what I remember. What I mean is kinda intricate build up, but then nothing on the final third. They don't have movement, only move the ball sideways and backwards, can't move the opponent (because like every Lope team they have almost no unlocking pattern, only being spread out wide) and are predictable when they have the ball and the other team is fully organized. 

Did you watch the Seville v Roma game? It was a very dominant performance by Seville and they didn't have too many problems in creating dangerous chances. Ocampos in particular really stood out for me, he looks a class act.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Wolves take an early lead against Olympiacos through their Mexican forward Jimenez. Great start for Wolves!

Keeper was silly. Heavy touch then needlessly nudged Podence when he was going away from goal.

20 minutes ago, Michael said:

Did you watch the Seville v Roma game? It was a very dominant performance by Seville and they didn't have too many problems in creating dangerous chances. Ocampos in particular really stood out for me, he looks a class act.

Yes, I watched since the 30th minute of the first half. They controlled the game and were very effective deffensively no doubt, but offensively with the ball running most chances imo were not that good, a lot of them from crosses that were nothing more than 50/50 chances. They could have scored more, they did deserve the win, but I still say what I said, very predictable and static team in the final third when they have the opposition "well" organized, they have a hard time creating clear cut chances. The best ones I saw were when they catched Roma on the break, but most of their game isn't that.

1 minute ago, Takezo said:

Yes, I watched since the 30th minute of the first half. They controlled the game and were very effective deffensively no doubt, but offensively most chances imo were not that good, a lot of them from crosses that are nothing more than 50/50 chances. They could have scored more, they did deserve the win, but I still say what I said, very predictable and static team in the final third when they have the opposition "well" organized, they have a hard time creating clear cut chances. The best ones I saw were when they catched Roma on the break, but most of their game isn't that.

Seville hit the bar twice as well as having a goal disallowed for offside(it may have been offside, but it was very close.), they created plenty of chances. Sure the wasted some chances, but I thought that their overall performance was very dominant. Your criticism of Seville, doesn't say much about Roma then.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived