talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Iker Casillas Announces Retirement

• Administrator

Not a shock at all especially given his heart problems he had last year sometime.

But what a career he had. One of the most reliable and talented goal-keepers of this century so far and one of Spain & Real's best ever keepers.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

To be fair he was an iconic goalkeeper before that 5 year spell where he didn't have any saves to make.

Yeah agreed. He doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as Buffon because he ended his career on a low note, and in my opinion he was maybe better than Buffon in his prime.

I already thought he had retired, absolutely loved him back in the day. Obviously fell off towards the end but keepers of his style tend to do so, especially with the loss of athleticism. What a career though, won absolutely everything. 

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Mpache said:

Yeah agreed. He doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as Buffon because he ended his career on a low note, and in my opinion he was maybe better than Buffon in his prime.

I dont think he is anywhere near as good as Buffon. Iker's prime was short lived and isnt in the same category as Buffon imo. 

36 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I dont think he is anywhere near as good as Buffon. Iker's prime was short lived and isnt in the same category as Buffon imo. 

Over a decade is short lived?

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Buffon and Casillas were both great keepers, but neither were as good as Neuer. 

Neuer is the best keeper that I have seen play. He is the complete goalkeeper in my eyes.

15 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Over a decade with world class teams in front of him doesnt make it his personal prime.

Over a decade of playing well does, which is what he did. And Real Madrid were hardly a world class team by the end of the 00s. Besides your argument is ridiculous, did Kahn, Buffon, and Neuer, not play with world class teams as well?

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Over a decade with world class teams in front of him doesnt make it his personal prime.

And other teams weren't world class? 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Over a decade of playing well does, which is what he did. And Real Madrid were hardly a world class team by the end of the 00s. Besides your argument is ridiculous, did Kahn, Buffon, and Neuer, not play with world class teams as well?

Yeah he played well, if youre calling that his prime the entire time though I wont agree. Neuer's played well for well over a decade doesnt mean I would say his prime was that entire stretch just because his teams had success. 

7 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah he played well, if youre calling that his prime the entire time though I wont agree. Neuer's played well for well over a decade doesnt mean I would say his prime was that entire stretch just because his teams had success. 

Well why wasn't it his prime? Just because he wasn't at peak performance doesn't mean that they weren't in their prime. Politics is why he was dropped at Real Madrid and a heart attack is why he is retiring, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he was still in good nick up until his mid-30s and could have played into his 40s.

My favourite Casillas anecdote is from his childhood. Apparently his father would trust him to purchase the lotto tickets whenever they were being drawn; however one time Casillas forgot to purchase the ticket. The numbers his father selected would have won their family the equivalent pesatas of over one million euros.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Spike said:

My favourite Casillas anecdote is from his childhood. Apparently his father would trust him to purchase the lotto tickets whenever they were being drawn; however one time Casillas forgot to purchase the ticket. The numbers his father selected would have won their family the equivalent pesatas of over one million euros.

This is why Neuer is better.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well why wasn't it his prime? Just because he wasn't at peak performance doesn't mean that they weren't in their prime. Politics is why he was dropped at Real Madrid and a heart attack is why he is retiring, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he was still in good nick up until his mid-30s and could have played into his 40s.

Well we disagree on what we consider prime then, playing well I dont believe is still his prime. 

30 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well we disagree on what we consider prime then, playing well I dont believe is still his prime. 

Prime is an age bracket, not an ability level, at 56 I could be in better shape than I am now, but that doesn't mean I'm not in my prime right now, for instance.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Spike said:

Prime is an age bracket, not an ability level, at 56 I could be in better shape than I am now, but that doesn't mean I'm not in my prime right now, for instance.

You can generalize that prime is an average age bracket but its not the same for everyone, everyone develops and matures differently. I look at it way more as performance based. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

You can generalize that prime is an average age bracket but its not the same for everyone, everyone develops and matures differently. I look at it way more as performance based. 

Not a generalisation at all, it is a fact that humans hit their physical prime in their 20s and 30s. Developing and maturing rates are irrelevant because it will happen in the years listed. Performance based would be peak, which happens during a human’s prime

Archived