talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ollie Watkins - Striker Signs for Aston Villa

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

18 mil for a champo player is "Cheap"? Fuck the premier league.

He scored 26 goals last season. He’s hardly gonna go cheaply after that. 

Leeds should be all over this. Him and Benrahma in a double swoop. 

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

He scored 26 goals last season. He’s hardly gonna go cheaply after that. 

Leeds should be all over this. Him and Benrahma in a double swoop

It's been well reported our end that we are interested in both. Whether we'd actually go for both I don't know. They are very good players but I'm concerned that whilst they have been great for Brentford, would they be the same for us?

I think out the two Watkins would be the one we'd go for if we had to pick. It very well could be us already. We have been long term admirers since he was at Exeter and we didn't go for it then. He would fit in our system pretty well and Bielsa likes his strikers to be unselfish, he offers great work rate. You'd think under Bielsa, he could possibly come on another level.

Benrahma for all his skill, and he is great when he's on it, doesn't seem to have a lot of discipline to defend which will be a minimum requirement under Bielsa. We run and run and run, extremely fit and if you are a passenger you won't play. I worry about him because whilst I think he has better end product than our two wingers, they do outshine him with workrate and keeping up with our intensity.

And with the greatest respect to Brentford, he would be moving to a club where the expectancy levels are higher now. He may very well surprise me and buy into it mind. I wouldn't want to go too big on him mind, £20m tops. Nabbing both for under £40m wouldn't be bad business.

I guess we will soon see anyway. I reckon Benrahma may go to someone else anyway, possibly higher than us at a more established side. Chelsea, Leicester, maybe even Wolves if they sold Traore.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.37bb73532b036f8f2cf9ff857ea725a8.png

Aston Villa are closing in on the signing of Brentford striker Ollie Watkins according to the BBC’s Phil McNulty.

Villa are desperate to boost their attacking options ahead of the new season and Watkins has been their prime target.

Dean Smith wants to reunite with the striker having worked with him at Brentford. (LastWordOnSport)Arrow.png.665b4083999cd9cbeea62f051cbe1577.png

Pure desperation from Villa. They will never learn.

They wanted Watkins, like many of us initially, but Brentford kept raising the price and put most teams off.

So they went for Callum Wilson and I think they were dead confident they would get him financially over Newcastle. 

Problem was, he wanted Newcastle and not them (Wilson's price looks a pittance now), and they have shit it big time and bowed to Brentford's demands by going all in to get Watkins.

Don't get me wrong, I think he can get goals up here but jesus, for an unproven striker that is a big gamble.

• The title was changed to Ollie Watkins - Striker Signs for Aston Villa
  • Subscriber

Wow. Brentford definitely laughing. Not a bad player at all and he could very well score plenty of goals for Villa but that price tag is stupid. Brentford can now reinvest that money into strengthening their squad.

Archived