talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Europa League QF - Shakhtar Donetsk 4-1 Basel - Tuesday 11th August, 2020

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As impressive as Basel have been in this season's Europa League, I think that Shakhtar Donetsk will have too much for them in Gelsenkirchen. Shaktar have a lot of depth and they are a very dangerous side. Tyson, Alan Patrick, Marlos, Junior Moraes, Kovalenko and Konoplyanka are all players who can cause a lot of problems when Shakhtar attack, while the likes of Stepanenko, Matviyenko, Kryvtsov and Bondar provid the defensive steel that the team relies on. All in all, they are a well balanced and very talented team in my opinion.

Basel are no pushovers themselves and they should create chances with the likes of Stocker, Cabral and Frei in their team, but I just think that Shakhtar will be too good for them.

Marcos Antonio comes closer still as his beautiful swerving shot from outside the area hits the underside of the Basel bar and Morases effort from the rebound is blocked by the Basel defence. Shakhtar are all over Basel right now and they could have been 4 or 5 goals up in this first half.

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Marcos Antonio looks really good. 

Luis Castro is doing a great job. Shakhtar plays some very nice football.

Yes, they are an excellent side and they play some lovely football. They could actually win the Europa League this season.

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, they are an excellent side and they play some lovely football. They could actually with the Europa League this season.

The Inter match will be very interesting. Lukaku and Lautaro are a huge threat, but If Shakhtar can dominate the midfield and pass the ball like they're doing tonight, I feel like they have a shot at beating the italians.

Such a shame this wasn't a goal. Marcos Antonio showing great technique. 

20 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

The Inter match will be very interesting. Lukaku and Lautaro are a huge threat, but If Shakhtar can dominate the midfield and pass the ball like they're doing tonight, I feel like they have a shot at beating the italians.

Such a shame this wasn't a goal. Marcos Antonio showing great technique. 

I think that talent wise, Shakhtar Donetsk are more than capable of defeating Inter Milan. However, Inter look a very well balanced side and Conte has them playing a perfect tactic. They are very solid in defence and then they hit you on the break with a lot of efficiency. Shakhtar, like Leverkusen are mostly an offensive side. They are the kind of team that Inter enjoy playing against as it suits their tactics. But if Shakhtar 's attack manage to take the lead against Inter, then things should get interesting. Because Inter will be forced to dictate the play, while Shakhtar could exploit the spaces that open up in the Inter defence as a result.

Lukaku is a beast and Martinez is also very dangerous, but Shakhtar have many dangerous players of their own, so really it's tough to call. But I think that Shakhtar are better when they attack as they are able to carve teams open for the most part. Lukaku is Inter's danger man in my opinion, because his physical strenght and his ability to hold up the ball, is a huge asset for Inter. Lukaku gives them a new dimension to their play. But as I said, Shakhtar have many weapons of their own, so it should be an interesting semi final.

• The title was changed to 2019/20 Europa League QF - Shakhtar Donetsk 4-1 Basel - Tuesday 11th August, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived