talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Juventus Sack Sarri

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

When these teams have a monopoly over the league it becomes not all that impressive to win it with them. Winning a league title as Juve is the minimum requirement. Getting knocked out the champions league by the team who finished 7th in the french league is awful. I’ve a lot of time for Sarri but he’s not exactly pulled up any trees there. 

You’ve got to win a league over 34 games, regardless of how much wealth a side has, it’s still a big achievement and should be viewed as such. 

The Champions League contains a number of top, top quality sides in it, so winning it is far harder. You cannot just expect to have some sort of monopoly on the Champions League, it’s just not how it works. This year is a bit of an anomaly anyway, especially for Juve and Italian football, who haven’t played since June prior to being beaten by Lyon. Juve are just getting Real/Barca levels of daftness and sacking managers for not winning the Champions League, regardless of how they do domestically. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t want to be that person but Football is getting to a place I’m not comfortable with. Even the winners these days aren’t happy now.

They might want a Champions League but it’s the Champions League, it’s not something you can just win, like Serie A for Juve, Ligue 1 for PSG etc. 

That's what I mean - though I do think going out to a Lyon side who finished 7th in Ligue 1 is definitely not acceptable.

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Not really. Juventus were by far the most talented team, but became unwatchable with Sarri, had a terrible run of form and got knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon. They have taken several steps back this year under Sarri. 

This is again what I mean though about how broken football has become. A team can win the league and it's not good enough. It's as sure a sign as you'll see that the sport is fundamentally broken. I'm not saying they got the decision wrong either.

Pirlo managing some of those players is hilarious. Bonucci, Buffon, Chiellini, Ronaldo... I can't imagine Ronaldo sitting there taking Pirlo's tactics seriously.

Maybe the board's strategy is mimicking what Zidane did with Real Madrid all those years ago. Tactically all over the place but with all the freedom in the world, their world class players can shine and do something funny in a knock out competition. They need better players to do that though, I find their squad overrated.

Juventus a team of divas, whiners, and players used to getting their way. I’m sure the senatori thought they were god’s gift to football and didn’t even listen to Sarri from day one, why would they need to? They’ve won scudetto nine times and Sarri zero, I’m sure Leonardo Bonuccibauer was pleased to see Sarri gone, he didn’t want to win the Champions League anyway. An Italian galacticos with a huge wage bill needs a motivator to keep their ego’s checked, not a jogo bonito coach like Sarri, a Zidane type manager whose tactical masterplan is ‘vamos vamos vamos’ or until recently relying on Bale and Ramos scoring in the 90’+12 to bail him out. Andrea Pirlo could just be the big dick manager they need to get their heads on focus, doesn’t even matter if he sucks in every other department, if he screams ‘dai dai dai’ and they listen that is all that matters. Worked for Zidane

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Juventus a team of divas, whiners, and players used to getting their way. I’m sure the senatori thought they were god’s gift to football and didn’t even listen to Sarri from day one, why would they need to? They’ve won scudetto nine times and Sarri zero, I’m sure Leonardo Bonuccibauer was pleased to see Sarri gone, he didn’t want to win the Champions League anyway. An Italian galacticos with a huge wage bill needs a motivator to keep their ego’s checked, not a jogo bonito coach like Sarri, a Zidane type manager whose tactical masterplan is ‘vamos vamos vamos’ or until recently relying on Bale and Ramos scoring in the 90’+12 to bail him out. Andrea Pirlo could just be the big dick manager they need to get their heads on focus, doesn’t even matter if he sucks in every other department, if he screams ‘dai dai dai’ and they listen that is all that matters. Worked for Zidane

First of all, you don't even know anything about Pirlo coaching career. The only thing you can comment is that it's a shot in the dark.

And saying Sarri was "joga bonito" is a stretch when talking about his time at Juventus. I was a fan of Sarri for some time, but the truth is he seems disconnected from people, and therefore I don't feel players really would die for him. And with the years passing Sarri just seems to make not so good and astute decisions inside the pitch.

Personally, I would give Sarri one year to get his shit together because his campaign at Juve was very leveled by the bottom, I understand that he won the title tho and might get better with time and one year on the bag. The thing is, I can also understand that someone that saw all the games didn't feel at all like trusting the club to him.

5 hours ago, Takezo said:

First of all, you don't even know anything about Pirlo coaching career. The only thing you can comment is that it's a shot in the dark.

And saying Sarri was "joga bonito" is a stretch when talking about his time at Juventus. I was a fan of Sarri for some time, but the truth is he seems disconnected from people, and therefore I don't feel players really would die for him. And with the years passing Sarri just seems to make not so good and astute decisions inside the pitch.

Personally, I would give Sarri one year to get his shit together because his campaign at Juve was very leveled by the bottom, I understand that he won the title tho and might get better with time and one year on the bag. The thing is, I can also understand that someone that saw all the games didn't feel at all like trusting the club to him.

First of all, that is exactly what I said about Pirlo. Second of all, you don't know that I don't know anything of Pirlo's career.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

First of all, that is exactly what I said about Pirlo. Second of all, you don't know that I don't know anything of Pirlo's career.

No, you just made a parallel with Zidane when Pirlo didn't even coach. That's really just talking out of your ass.

52 minutes ago, Takezo said:

No, you just made a parallel with Zidane when Pirlo didn't even coach. That's really just talking out of your ass.

No, I didn't you absolute muppet. Adjust your reading comprehension before talking shit and telling me what I bloody well meant. Fuck me dead, where do we recruit these clowns?

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

No, I didn't you absolute muppet. Adjust your reading comprehension before talking shit. Fuck me dead, where do we recruit these clowns?

More respect please, didn't your parents teach you manners? If not I'm not your dad to teach you either, so just don't be a brat.

You clearly were condescending to Pirlo saying those things, and you don't even know nothing about what he will do as a coach.

And I could talk about the rest of your comment on how basic you were by just discredit every coach that's a little ambitious and tactician on dealing with this type of squads, like that's true at all. But guess who's the clown.

On 08/08/2020 at 21:35, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t want to be that person but Football is getting to a place I’m not comfortable with. Even the winners these days aren’t happy now.

They might want a Champions League but it’s the Champions League, it’s not something you can just win, like Serie A for Juve, Ligue 1 for PSG etc. 

You see it on twitter quite a lot, managers being derided and hounded for just winning the league or not winning right etc. 

• Subscriber
On 09/08/2020 at 03:36, Dan said:

This phase of a top club appointing an ex player is honestly ridiculous I think.

The money spinning nature of the game and the increasing focus on image has resulted in a lot of clubs having an identity crisis in my opinion, hence them making "good old days" appointments to try and kid themselves and their fans into thinking they still have the identity linked to their most successful era in recent history. Lampard, Solskjaer, Pirlo. At least Zidane has had success as Madrid manager. Will it be Lahm or Schweinsteiger to Bayern next?

• Subscriber
On 09/08/2020 at 03:36, Dan said:

This phase of a top club appointing an ex player is honestly ridiculous I think.

The money spinning nature of the game and the increasing focus on image has resulted in a lot of clubs having an identity crisis in my opinion, hence them making "good old days" appointments to try and kid themselves and their fans into thinking they still have the identity linked to their most successful era in recent history. Lampard, Solskjaer, Pirlo. At least Zidane has had success as Madrid manager. Will it be Lahm or Schweinsteiger to Bayern next?

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If, and that's a big if, they appoint a former player as manager it'll be Klose or van Bommel. Edit: They have already a former player with Hans- Dieter Flick.

Haven't top clubs always gone down the former player route?

Liverpool -Paisley, Dalglish, Souness.

Barcelona - Cruyff.

Bayern Munich - Beckenbauer, Klinsmann, 

Ajax - Michels (greatest manager of all time) Cruyff, Van Basten

Milan - Ancelotti, Capello etc

I think having an affinity and knowledge of the club is a great starting point. Some work out better than others.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Haven't top clubs always gone down the former player route?

Liverpool -Paisley, Dalglish, Souness.

Barcelona - Cruyff.

Bayern Munich - Beckenbauer, Klinsmann, 

Ajax - Michels (greatest manager of all time) Cruyff, Van Basten

Milan - Ancelotti, Capello etc

I think having an affinity and knowledge of the club is a great starting point. Some work out better than others.

How many of those were total rookies though? I genuinely couldn't say. But it's different an experienced and successful manager going back to a club from his playing days than someone like Pirlo or Solskjaer or Lampard who have no business managing an elite club aside from the fact they used to play there, which I do agree is a positive.

36 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

How many of those were total rookies though? I genuinely couldn't say. But it's different an experienced and successful manager going back to a club from his playing days than someone like Pirlo or Solskjaer or Lampard who have no business managing an elite club aside from the fact they used to play there, which I do agree is a positive.

Solskjaer and Lampard are not like Pirlo, they had prior managerial experience. Generally an experienced and successful manager has to be given a chance at a winning club before they can even be considered experience and successful.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Solskjaer and Lampard are not like Pirlo, they had prior managerial experience. Generally an experienced and successful manager has to be given a chance at a winning club before they can even be considered experience and successful.

Let’s be honest neither of them had the experience or success to land the jobs they have now. Really not much between Pirlo and them two

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Let’s be honest neither of them had the experience or success to land the jobs they have now. Really not much between Pirlo and them two

Eight bloody years for Solskjaer and at least one for Lampard. Yeah they weren't superstar managers but not everyone can win the league nine times in a row...

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

Eight bloody years for Solskjaer and at least one for Lampard. Yeah they weren't superstar managers but not everyone can win the league nine times in a row...

Ole managed in Norway and then was relegated with Cardiff, Lampard had one season with Derby where he failed to take them up. Like Pirlo they don’t have the credentials, just there on name and reputation as a player

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Quite a few of them. In fact if you look at the pantheon of great managers, several started at the club they had most success with. Paisley, Capello and Guardiola were all 'rookies'. I think having someone who knows the club is a huge advantage. Doesn't always work but when it does it tends to bring epochal success.

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Ole managed in Norway and then was relegated with Cardiff, Lampard had one season with Derby where he failed to take them up. Like Pirlo they don’t have the credentials, just there on name and reputation as a player

But unlike Pirlo they have experience, whether or not you think that experience is worthwhile doesn't matter because the multi-billion dollar clubs seem to have faith. Relegation doesn't really mean anything to me, even Brian Clough was relegated. Ferguson was in Scotland (he was very successful), Wenger was in Japan (he had minor success in France), sometimes prior success isn't the need, but a vision, and personality. For instance Sarri might be a clever coach but if people aren't listening to him and they are listening to Lampard, who is doing a better job? I really don't think they are hired on a name only, a dominant personality has to shine through to sell the ideas.

Archived