talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

RB Leipzig 2-1 Atletico Madrid - Thursday 13th August, 2020 (Quarter-Final)

• The title was changed to RB Leipzig 2-1 Atletico Madrid - Thursday 13th August, 2020 (Quarter-Final)
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Atleti park the bus against an inferior side. Go behind. 

Start attacking. Score a goal. 

Park the bus again. Concede again. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

RB Leipzig are not an inferior side at all. 

Just now, Inverted said:

I don't think they have better players, but they have a manager who gets a lot more out of his players.

I think that they actually have better players. Maybe you are not too familiar with them, but they are some of the best young talent in the world.

Leipzig shouldn’t be lumped in with the likes of PSG & City. They don’t break transfer records, they buy smart and for reasonable prices. I like their approach, which doesn’t mean I like their history, but I can appreciate the way they do things. 

RB Leipzig are through to the semi finals to play PSG!

I think that it was a well deserved win in all honesty. Leipzig were the better side in the 1st half. Atletico improved in the 2nd half after Felix came on, but Leipzig's passing in the middle of the park was very good. It was only the passing in the final 3rd let them down at times. But they scored a lovely 1st goal and then they forced their 2nd goal after Atletico equalised from a penalty.

RB Leipzig 2-1 Atletico Madrid

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that they actually have better players. Maybe you are not too familiar with them, but they are some of the best young talent in the world.

I tend to agree but it's probably about even. Atletico need a fresh start at the front though. Diego Costa and Morata... quite the definition of irrelevant tonight.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Leipzig shouldn’t be lumped in with the likes of PSG & City. They don’t break transfer records, they buy smart and for reasonable prices. I like their approach, which doesn’t mean I like their history, but I can appreciate the way they do things. 

Yes, they don't spend crazy prices like the 2 sides you mentioned. Instead they make shrewd signings and they bring in some of the best young talent in the world. They are a very young side, which often gets overlooked, so it is a great achievement that they have made the semi finals of the Champions League. They have every chance of beating PSG, even though it will be their toughest challenge yet, as PSG will be back to their best with the return of Verratti, Mbappe and Di Maria.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

They have some amazing prospects, but even with their recent sales, Atleti have a squad full of extremely experienced, world-class players. 

Oblak is arguably the best shot-stopper on earth. Savic and Gimenez are players who have been at the heart of Europe's best defence for years. Saul and Koke are a midfield pairing that any team in Europe would be happy to have, but they spend most of the game shuttling from side to side. Carrasco, Felix, and Lemar are all attacking players who have delivered amazing seasons but they're all competing with functional wide midfielders or grafters like Costa. 

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, they don't spend crazy prices like the 2 sides you mentioned. Instead they make shrewd signings and they bring in some of the best young talent in the world. They are a very young side, which often gets overlooked, so it is a great achievement that they have made the semi finals of the Champions League. They have every chance of beating PSG, even though it will be their toughest challenge yet, as PSG will be back to their best with the return of Verratti, Mbappe and Di Maria.

I agree, it's a very open semi-final. 

Sure, PSG has Neymar and Mbappé, but I don't think PSG is that strong of a team. Their midfield, with Verratti still unavailable, leaves a lot to be desired and the full-backs are problematic. 

Nagelsmann is a great coach and I expect him to find a way to make this a very even match.

Liverpool really blew it against Atleti. That would have been quite a decent path for them to reach the finals. 

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

They have some amazing prospects, but even with their recent sales, Atleti have a squad full of extremely experienced, world-class players. 

Oblak is arguably the best shot-stopper on earth. Savic and Gimenez are players who have been at the heart of Europe's best defence for years. Saul and Koke are a midfield pairing that any team in Europe would be happy to have, but they spend most of the game shuttling from side to side. Carrasco, Felix, and Lemar are all attacking players who have delivered amazing seasons but they're all competing with functional wide midfielders or grafters like Costa. 

Yes, that is true, Atletico do have many world class players. But Leipzig also have some world class players of their own. Gulacsi has been an awesome keeper in recent years(fair enough, probably not as good as Oblak, but still great). Upamecano is absolutely world class and could very soon become the world's best defender. Klostermann and Halstenberg are regular German internationals and are both quality and then there is Mukiele who is another great young emerging defender. In midfield Nkunku, Adams, Dani Olmo and Sabitzer are all class acts. Up front Schick has proven himself this season to be a superb forward, despite having to come on as a sub most times because of the presence of Werner. Atletico have the more experienced players, but Leipzig have a load of young players who are quality. 

17 minutes ago, Michael said:

You are going home in the semis sunshine, when you get steamrolled by the Bavarian juggernaut! xD

They play at a much lower level so will be a massive shock when they face us  ..easy win for us like it was against Spain's best team too B|

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I agree, it's a very open semi-final. 

Sure, PSG has Neymar and Mbappé, but I don't think PSG is that strong of a team. Their midfield, with Verratti still unavailable, leaves a lot to be desired and the full-backs are problematic. 

Nagelsmann is a great coach and I expect him to find a way to make this a very even match.

Liverpool really blew it against Atleti. That would have been quite a decent path for them to reach the finals. 

PSG will be favourites because of the unbelievable quality that they have. I mean Mbappe and Neymar could both possibly be the best 2 forwards in the world. Di Maria is also an experienced player, who can terrorise defenders. I didn't realise Verratti is still out, that is some good news for Leipzig then. 

I agree, their midfield against Atalanta, looked very uncreative, they were essentially 3 ball winners in midfield for them. They are great at winning the ball, but not so amazing creating stuff. They relied on the brilliance of Mbappe and Neymar to work their magic. I also agree that Leipzig are a more well balanced team. They have a much more creative midfield. I think that if they win the midfield battle, they will have a decent chance of surprising PSG. But PSG do have some excellent defenders. However, it is in attack, namely Mbappe and Neymar where they are lethal. Young Upamecano and company will face a challenge of a lifetime against the 2 world class PSG forwards.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived