talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 1-3 Lyon - Saturday 15th August, 2020 (Quarter-Final)

1 minute ago, Spike said:

So you are saying that winning clubs always buy titles? That without investment winning isn't usually achievable? 

I'm not being contrarian at all, I think most people are largely hypocritical when it comes to spening and football.

And winning results in prize money and if you win more things you’re going to more consistently make money and then if you reinvest that into the club you can keep spending more.

I think people are hypocritical about a lot of things, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to ever like oil states, dodgy oligarchs, or Red Bull being in football. The first time I ever saw something like this done was on a much smaller scale with Blackburn in the early 90s and I don’t remember it being as irritating as these other clubs were. But I’m sure it was.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe, but I don’t really give a shit

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And winning results in prize money and if you win more things you’re going to more consistently make money and then if you reinvest that into the club you can keep spending more. 

I think people are hypocritical about a lot of things, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to ever like oil states, dodgy oligarchs, or Red Bull being in football. The first time I ever saw something like this done was on a much smaller scale with Blackburn in the early 90s and I don’t remember it being as irritating as these other clubs were. But I’m sure it was.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe, but I don’t really give a shit

Of course you give a shit, if you didn't you wouldn't be bothered by oil states, dodgy oligarchs, or Red Bull being in football. But the fact of the matter is that they are only a symptom of the larger problem which was allowed when money for players became the norm of football. Nobody bats and eye when AC Milan are bankrolled by a corrupt Italian prime minister but people loose their shit when Manchester City spends money from an evil oil state but both spending has the same affect on the sport because the sport doesn't care where the money originates. The deck was stacked from the get go, rewarding success with success breeding an incestuous hierarchy of repeated winning.

There is no parity in this sport and if you support some shit club in the middle of shitty England and it's the highlight of your life, you'll probably never see your shitty club when a trophy because your shitty club doesn't matter making it entirely an exercise in futility, not even the hope of winning, which is the most fun part of all. People complain about the sport being globalised and they still sit there and watch the damn thing, at least I can look at Chelsea and say that it's a joke and entirely at the whim of the millions and billions of pounds invested in the sport, could you say the same about Liverpool? The whole damn thing is a bloated mess and it probably never was the grassroots ideal that people like to believe it was. And I'll tell you this, i don't give a toss about Chelsea or any other team really, I'm watching it for the competition, knowing full well it's all a monetary farce.

Lyon are also owned by a millionaire businessman. Not on the scale of the oil degenerates but he bankrolled them into the success starting in the 80s, a slow growth leading to a hegemony in the 00s. They were a nothing team until Jean-Michel Aulas. But don't let that spoil your day.

• Subscriber

I have no love for Man City but I can't believe that second Lyon goal was not disallowed. I'm going back to our disallowed winning goal against Man Utd where Sigurdsson sat on his arse was apparently obstructing De Gea's view when anyone who didn't have an agenda could see that he wasn't in his way at all. Well that ball came within millimetres of touching the Lyon player who was miles offside and nobody gives a toss...

35 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Chelsea fans all supporting Manchester Ciry :D peas in a pod. Your clubs are literally nothing in football history.

You can’t beat class and history. Manchester United and Liverpool so much bigger than your dirty money.

I see no difference between Uniteds turn of the century chinese money, Chelseas gas mafia money and Liverpools yank cash. All the big teams got a HUGE leg up at some point, so fuck none of em or fuck em all I say

9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I see no difference between Uniteds turn of the century chinese money, Chelseas gas mafia money and Liverpools yank cash. All the big teams got a HUGE leg up at some point, so fuck none of em or fuck em all I say

I mainly hate the southerners, they don’t love football like we do up north. Chelsea haha, I was brought up by a Chelsea fan they’ve never been a big club, ever. Small fanbase etc at leat Manchester and Liverpool are football cities. Like Glasgow. London is not a real football city. 

Some might say fuck the southerners, I just say fuck England in general. Arrogant colonialists stuck on their island ignorant and unrepentant for the evils unleashed on the world. Start with apologising for raping Ireland for five hundred years, and finish up with the Aboriginals and First Nations your country shot for sport, A shame Napoleon didn’t erase your from history. Unlikely though, given you lot can’t even stomach eachother with your arbitrary north/south divide, not that I could blame you.

Did somebody want me? xD:rofl:   ..Pep lost the plot with that team, WTF Pep??  3 defensive mids, one creative player (out of position) and a Y.T.S lad at CB :what:  ..why not just play our strongest team FFS!!  ..anyway my internet dongle has about 30p left on it and i cant afford to top it up again on tell City hammer someone  ..toddle pip! 

• Subscriber

The true scum of football are those trying to make it a closed shop. You decide for yourselves which clubs fall into this category.

I'm no lover of clubs like Leipzig but it's hard to get too angry at them to be honest.

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

United were minted well before the turn the of the century. I must have missed it when no other team was able to float as a PLC on the stock exchange back in the early 90’s............

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

United were minted well before the turn the of the century. I must have missed it when no other team was able to float as a PLC on the stock exchange back in the early 90’s............

United was in the right place at the right time to get all that premier league prize money, you won the lottery 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

KDB looked annoyed in his post match interview. Might be hinting at Pep’s continuing habit of setting his team up wrong in the CL yet again 

Also avoided answering the “you’ll go again next season?” By saying he’s just thinking of a holiday. 

Man deserves to be at a big club who actually have the bottle to win when it counts most. Man deserves Liverpool. 

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

United was in the right place at the right time to get all that premier league prize money, you won the lottery 

It’s not exactly a lottery when every other team had access to it though xD

Were Leeds or any of the other 18 clubs not allowed to win the league? Or float on the stock exchange? Or brand themselves globally using commercial partners? 

But yeah, throw an upvote in because that’s exactly the same as being pumped full of money by a country who specifically chose you and nobody else 9_9

• The topic was unpinned

Archived