talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Europa League SF - Inter Milan 5-0 Shakhtar Donetsk - Monday 17th August, 2020

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping Shakhtar shock Inter tonight. They should create chances, the worry for them of course is being caught out on the break by Inter. They have to somehow try and nullify Lukaku, which is easier said than done.

7 hours ago, Michael said:

I'm hoping Shakhtar shock Inter tonight. They should create chances, the worry for them of course is being caught out on the break by Inter. They have to somehow try and nullify Lukaku, which is easier said than done.

Looking forward to watch Marcos Antônio against Inter. This is a great experience for the kid.

I feel like Shakhtar:s midfield is better, but Lautaro and Lukaku may be too much for Shakhtar. 

If I were Conte, I'd use Lukaku on the left flank, Dodô while really promissing still has a lot to improve as a defender and I don't think he can cope with Lukaku, who has much better technique and pace than most people give him credit. 

• Administrator

All the one-legged ties so far in both EL and CL have been fairly decent to watch. Definitely not short of entertainment.

Hope the same happens tonight. Shakhtar do enjoy their attacking football. Feel like Conte and Inter are well-equipped to make it difficult for them though and grind out a win. Lukaku and Lautaro as ever will be key for Inter.

9 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Looking forward to watch Marcos Antônio against Inter. This is a great experience for the kid.

I feel like Shakhtar:s midfield is better, but Lautaro and Lukaku may be too much for Shakhtar. 

If I were Conte, I'd use Lukaku on the left flank, Dodô while really promissing still has a lot to improve as a defender and I don't think he can cope with Lukaku, who has much better technique and pace than most people give him credit. 

I agree, Shakhtar's midfield has more talent in it than Inter's. However, Inter have a very experienced and water tight defence, with the great Handanovic in goal as well. Their attack is also obviously very dangerous as well. So I think if Shakhtar win the midfield battle, they can control the majority of this game, but their challenge will be unlocking the Inter defence and not allowing players like Lukaku to punish them on the counter attack. 

I don't agree with playing Lukaku on the wing though, surely he is best utilised as a centre forward where he can hold the ball up superbly and it's also the position which most likely enables him to score. While Lukaku may get the better of Dodo on the left flank, playing on the wing is not his best position. He is much more effective as a centre-forward in my opinion.

Marcos Antonio and Stepananko will be key for Shakhtar if they are to win the midfield challenge, while Taison, Alan Patrick and Junior Moraes will be expected to get the goals. I do hope that Marlos isn't so selfish today as sometimes he holds onto the ball way too long. He's a talented player but he should release the ball earlier more often.  Shakhtar's defence has to be at their best tonight. Matviyenko has been excellent over the past couple of years, but he is preferred as a fullback at Shakhtar because of his excellent crossing ability. However, I believe his best position is as a centre-back.

In any case, Shakhtar have a big challenge tonight and they will hope that their attacking flair will get the goals that they desperately need.

17 minutes in and still no big chance created for either side.

Apart from that, the match is pretty much following the script. Shakhtar controlling most of the possession, while Inter are  for the most part sitting back and looking to threaten on the break.

Pyatov is one of those keepers who looks solid most of the time, but he always has that big mistake that he makes now and then. At this level when you make such mistakes, you are more than likely going to be punished.

Good cross by Dodo down the flank, but Moraes was challenged well by the Inter defender. I think though that Shakhtar should continue to attack down the flanks more, as it is almost impossible to get through the Inter defence down the middle, because they are so compact.

• Administrator

Inter are so organised, very rigid in defence but Shakhtar don't half make it easy for them. Shakhtar just passing it round the box with little threat to Inter. All well and good doing that but to what end, especially if no one is getting in the box? What do they expect to happen at the end of all this passing? 

Very poor. 

Lukaku seeing little of the ball but unless Shakhtar wake up, Inter will easily and happily settle for this. Handanovic has had nothing to do 

Shaktar still look like they have alot of Brazilians,  I remember a young Willian there years ago, scoring all sorts of goals before he had all that drained out of him at Chelsea.  Inter seem to buying up a lot of good players and look like they may be the new challenger in Italy, especially true if one wants to believe the Messi rumours that were floating around.

Missed the first half so cant comment on the game.  I am hoping at least one of these KO games go to extra time (dont think we had any ET games last week), need to get my moneys worth from my DAZN subscription!

I am probably going more for Shaktar, but after watching the dirty fouing diving imaginary card waving Sevilla play yesterday, I will take either of these teams to win the final.

• The title was changed to 2019/20 Europa League SF - Inter Milan 5-0 Shakhtar Donetsk - Monday 17th August, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived