talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2020/21 - No Replays

football forum

• Administrator

Common-sense prevails in what will be a cramped calendar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53765807

There will be no FA Cup replays during the 2020-21 season to "ease pressure" on the football calendar.

The competition will start with the extra preliminary around on 1 September and the final is due to be played on 15 May 2021.

It has also been announced the Carabao Cup semi-finals will be one-legged.

The first round is scheduled for 5 September, while the next three rounds will be played on consecutive midweek dates from 15-16 September.

FA Cup prize money has been halved from 2019-20 because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The winners will receive £1.8m, down from £3.6m last season, in line with the 2017-18 campaign.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

They won't come back. Yet another avenue where smaller clubs make money is shut. The gap widens.

Aye. Does my head in that every year the media repeat 'Magic of the Cup' endlessly, whilst all the while it is being stripped for parts before us. Honestly losing interest in the whole sport now, every month something comes along and removes it further and further from its roots.

Not a lot of room for manoeuvre.

What I don't understand is why they didn't reverse the fifth round back to a weekend, swapping with a EPL game day.

Any team going far in multiple competitions will probably have to play three games a week at times judging by this. And if Man City win the Champions League and go away to the World Club Cup...

• Subscriber

I'm supportive of this. Yes, the lower league teams make more money if they manage to grab a replay but they'll still have the chance to win the tie with extra time/penalties which adds to the drama. I'd rather have a tie settled than have to squeeze in more games and risk the fitness and sharpness of the team.

Also never understood the need for legged matches in the Carabao Cup so glad they're gone from the semi-final.

4 hours ago, Pyfish said:

I'm supportive of this. Yes, the lower league teams make more money if they manage to grab a replay but they'll still have the chance to win the tie with extra time/penalties which adds to the drama. I'd rather have a tie settled than have to squeeze in more games and risk the fitness and sharpness of the team.

Also never understood the need for legged matches in the Carabao Cup so glad they're gone from the semi-final.

I was a fan of the replays to be fair but given the uncertainty around people actually attending, if and when that happens, gate receipts are less of an issue than before.

The FA Cup is dying a slow death anyway, it's not going to be long till it mirrors your Copa Del Rey's or Coppa Italia's and its all played in midweek.

• Subscriber

I support this for one season due to the season starting about a month later than usual but it can't be allowed to stay that way. 

As @The Artful Dodger says though, I can see them using this as a great opportunity to never bring back the replays and gear the calendar even more towards the top sides. They can laud the positive effect it had on fixture congestion in the 2020-21 season and pretend that this benefits the whole pyramid in the long run when actually it's only the 6-7 teams in Europe who benefit from playing fewer domestic cup games.

Woe is me, I'm an elite Premier League side with a wage budget three times as large as two thirds of the rest of the top flight, let alone the rest of the country, it's so unfair that I have to play so many midweek games in my pursuit of winning 17 trophies a season. I need your support FA. #JusticeForTheRichElite

Archived