talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottingham Forest Thread

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

he also got done for bribery as well as setting fire to a referee's bakery after he refused to favour Olympiakos. 

that test proving ever so useful once again. 

7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Has anyone ever failed the test?

Given some of the characters that have passed it, I'm wondering what it would take to qualify someone as unfit.

I think Cellino was banned after breaking regulations but he'd already passed the test by that point but I can't think of any who've failed it. 

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

Charged with drug trafficking xD 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/23/nottingham-forest-owner-evangelos-marinakis-charged-drug-trafficking

The Nottingham Forest owner, Evangelos Marinakis, has been charged with drug trafficking in a heroin smuggling case that has shocked Greece.

Late on Friday the Greek public prosecutor, Eirini Tziva, accused the shipowner businessman of what were described as “very serious charges” following a three-year investigation into the Noor 1, a tanker intercepted in the port of Piraeus carrying 2.1 tonnes of heroin in 2014.

Marinakis, 50, was also charged with financing an illegal operation. Three of his close associates were named with him on the charge sheet.

The judicial inquiry had followed the money, focusing on bank transfers that had raised suspicion. Court sources were quoted as saying that several money transfers had been linked to the impounded vessel and probably used to finance it.

Marinakis, who owns the Greek champions Olympiakos, was not available for comment. The football club’s website did not mention the charges, widely derided as a set-up by fans.

This is not the businessman’s first brush with the law. In 2015 he was acquitted of complicity in a match-fixing network whose web extended across seven countries. In that case charges were brought after Uefa detected a pattern of irregular betting in the countries. The magnate, who bought Nottingham Forest 10 months ago in a £50m takeover, attributed those charges to “jealous” critics bent on blighting his Greek team’s winning streak. “Of course I cannot stop our opponents talking or bad-mouthing,” he said.

• The title was changed to Nottingham Forest Owner Charged With Drug Trafficking

Nottingham Forest chairman Nicholas Randall QC has given his full backing to the club's owner Evangelos Marinakis, following reports in Greece that he had been charged with drug trafficking.

Marinakis, who is also owner of Greek side Olympiakos, has always maintained his innocence and, in an open letter to Forest fans, Randall claims the charges against Marinakis have been dropped.

Marinakis said in a statement: "I have never had anything to do with the acts for which an investigative inquiry is to be conducted, the result of which I am absolutely certain to be the confirmation of my innocence.

"There is not the least evidence to me and the action against me is arbitrary."

• The title was changed to Nottingham Forest
  • The title was changed to Nottingham Forest Thread

EdTPxsvXoAAB4UM?format=png&name=small

What a shambles of a match today. I expected Forest to come out with more pressure considering all they couldn't do was draw against the bottom feeders to secure a playoff spot. However, Barnsley came today like they did against Leeds, and that was a team on a mission to remain in the Championship. 

The dominated from the beginning and unto the end. Forest were unable to hold onto the ball, make any viable threats to score, and just sat back and got taken apart by Chaplin and Styles time and time again. Once we got to the 80th minute, I started to get some hope that the game would end in a draw, as Barnsley looked unable to score a goal, but of course, in the 94th minute, the ball got knocked around the box and finally slotted home for the 1-0 win. 

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS BELOW

Their brand of football is pretty ugly and they prefer to keep it tight, soak up pressure and then hit teams when they can. No wonder they got so many draws this season.

It's not necessarily a style I'm keen on, nor is it one that would really see them push on and get automatic but in a playoff scenario, I could see them coming out on top.

You know they will set up to be solid, soak up pressure and look to hit when they can. They will be in the tie right to the end and if it's Brentford, Fulham or even West Brom they have to play, they will most likely frustrate those sides who want you play more positively.

On 21/07/2020 at 02:24, Lucas said:

Their brand of football is pretty ugly and they prefer to keep it tight, soak up pressure and then hit teams when they can. No wonder they got so many draws this season.

It's not necessarily a style I'm keen on, nor is it one that would really see them push on and get automatic but in a playoff scenario, I could see them coming out on top.

You know they will set up to be solid, soak up pressure and look to hit when they can. They will be in the tie right to the end and if it's Brentford, Fulham or even West Brom they have to play, they will most likely frustrate those sides who want you play more positively.

This didn't age well. xD

Watching the post match interview with Sabri from last night, wow the emotion. 

He has apologized to the fans and the media at least 10 times now. He said their are no excuses, that he told his players to hold onto the ball when it was 1-1, but all he says is that their must have been something different that his team had seen on the pitch. 

Asked if Forest struggled with the pandemic and fitness, and he shuts it down immediately, saying that the excuse isn't valid because all teams are fighting the same thing, at the end of the day, they weren't good enough when it mattered, and he said that the turn around was the Derby equalizer. 

Took full responsibility for this, so I'm happy to hear that, and listening to his emotions are rather tough. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Probably since that collapse against Stoke at end of last season for them to miss out on the play-offs.

Hughton is a decent appointment for that division given the time.

Archived