talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottingham Forest Thread

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proven in the division so you can see why they have turned to him.

Be interesting to see if he goes with what he has or if he looks to bring a couple in before the EFL window shuts. 

He's a bit of a 'no frills' manager, like's a solid base and that seems to be Forest's strength based on last year so it should be a good fit.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Probably since that collapse against Stoke at end of last season for them to miss out on the play-offs.

Hughton is a decent appointment for that division given the time.

I'm guessing Nottm Forest have a DoF / Head Coach setup? Rather than having brought in a lot of players in the last transfer window, and then soon after sacking Lamouchi?

• 11 months later...

Hughton's Gone.

1pt after 7 games, rooted to the bottom and playing abysmal football. He absolutely had to go.

Big question is, who wants it next?

Wilder and Howe are still without jobs, the former is probably more realistic than the latter but word on the street is it could be Steve Cooper...

Steve Cooper would make most sense given the direction the recruitment team want to take the club but id rather he didn't as the job seems like a poison chalice for anybody willing to take it over. You look at the names of managers that have been there in the last ten years and its a "who's who" of proven managers that have failed and had reputations damaged significantly as a consequence.

I think the most appropriate use for the new recruitment team would be looking Overseas for a young manager who encourages a forward thinking style of football as the DOF repeatedly did at Barnsley successfully.

• Administrator

Surprised he's not done well there. Always thought he was a credible and competent manager. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes which affected his management?

Would be amusing if they and Derby both got relegated though. Would make Coventry's return back to this division and doing alright shine even more. 

• Subscriber
On 06/10/2020 at 20:51, Dan said:

Annoying. That's a good appointment.

Ha. Thing is, on paper, he made a lot of sense. It's quite worrying for them how badly it's turned out. They've somehow started even worse than last year.

I fail to believe it's just the managers. While he's a quite dull manager, he's generally done a good job at places.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Hughton's Gone.

1pt after 7 games, rooted to the bottom and playing abysmal football. He absolutely had to go.

Big question is, who wants it next?

Wilder and Howe are still without jobs, the former is probably more realistic than the latter but word on the street is it could be Steve Cooper...

I'm not just saying it because it's Forest but I think both of those two would be mad to go there. Hold out for better. Forest are very much a club who are likely to drag your reputation down as things stand. Who was the last manager to come out of there with a higher reputation than he went in with? 

I know people say it every time a club with a crap owner decides to change manager but, honestly, why would you go there? I’m not saying it’s career suicide but given they’re looking for their 7th permanent manager in a shade over four years and have had something daft like 80+ different players in that time, too, I just don’t get why you’d put yourself through that even for a decent pay off. 

27 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I know people say it every time a club with a crap owner decides to change manager but, honestly, why would you go there? I’m not saying it’s career suicide but given they’re looking for their 7th permanent manager in a shade over four years and have had something daft like 80+ different players in that time, too, I just don’t get why you’d put yourself through that even for a decent pay off. 

History, and you'd be a legend if you were able to direct them back into the top division. 

Look at Leeds, big club, spent almost 20 years in the second division, and now are in the EPL. I'd wager that Forest are definitely another 'sleeping' giant. 

55 minutes ago, Eco said:

History, and you'd be a legend if you were able to direct them back into the top division. 

Look at Leeds, big club, spent almost 20 years in the second division, and now are in the EPL. I'd wager that Forest are definitely another 'sleeping' giant. 

7th permanent manager in four years and over 80 permanent signings in that time. You don’t need a degree in astrophysics to see that the common denominator in all of this is the ownership and what exactly would make you think you had the necessary tools and support from the current ownership to succeed? I’m sure someone will take the job, people always take these jobs, however, there’s little to actually suggest that Nottingham Forest have what it takes to get promoted. 

Leeds were a basket case under Cellino, so many did what you said and went for the fanciful pipe dream of promotion. It was only once Cellino was gone that they looked like genuine contenders. 

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

7th permanent manager in four years and over 80 permanent signings in that time. You don’t need a degree in astrophysics to see that the common denominator in all of this is the ownership and what exactly would make you think you had the necessary tools and support from the current ownership to succeed? I’m sure someone will take the job, people always take these jobs, however, there’s little to actually suggest that Nottingham Forest have what it takes to get promoted. 

They had one of the most epic collapses in memory to not make the playoffs last year. They were one of the better teams until the last 7 games where they completely fell apart. 

Just now, Eco said:

They had one of the most epic collapses in memory to not make the playoffs last year. They were one of the better teams until the last 7 games where they completely fell apart. 

And that’s a story in itself. Three wins in the final fifteen games. Obviously something was wrong at that club for that collapse. Since then, they’ve won 12 of about 50 league games. They’ve had six permanent managers in just over four years. They’ve had over eighty permanent signings in the chairman’s tenure. There’s obviously clear issues at that club and regardless of their size as a club, it’s a poison chalice as was Leeds under Cellino, who had their moments towards the top but there’s a big difference between flirting with the play-offs and actually getting over the line. 

I just think for a Steve Cooper or Chris Wilder who spent the summer being linked with Premier League clubs or genuine top Championship clubs who are stably run, to turn to Forest for what is likely to be a short stay, is a bad move. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

And that’s a story in itself. Three wins in the final fifteen games. Obviously something was wrong at that club for that collapse. Since then, they’ve won 12 of about 50 league games. They’ve had six permanent managers in just over four years. They’ve had over eighty permanent signings in the chairman’s tenure. There’s obviously clear issues at that club and regardless of their size as a club, it’s a poison chalice as was Leeds under Cellino, who had their moments towards the top but there’s a big difference between flirting with the play-offs and actually getting over the line. 

I just think for a Steve Cooper or Chris Wilder who spent the summer being linked with Premier League clubs or genuine top Championship clubs who are stably run, to turn to Forest for what is likely to be a short stay, is a bad move. 

I hear you, and agree something does appear off about the club. But you're being very inaccurate to suggest they haven't been close, as they have consistently been a top side in the league until this year. 

I think you're both right - it's a poisoned chalice and it's probably a bad career move for most high profile managers, because they don't really seem to have stability above the manager... but I understand why managers would take the Forest job, because of the history of the club and what "awakening a sleeping giant" would do for their profile as a manager.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Eco said:

What's largely ignored in the Bielsa hype is that Leeds have decent owners now. Forest don't. Theirs is lucky to not be behind bars.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

What's largely ignored in the Bielsa hype is that Leeds have decent owners now. Forest don't. Theirs is lucky to not be behind bars.

I don't know much about Leeds owners, but I know enough of Forest to know that what you say is true. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Eco said:

I don't know much about Leeds owners, but I know enough of Forest to know that what you say is true. 

Leeds have new ownership in the last few years, just strikes me that they have their heads a bit more switched on. Bielsa gets the headlines and he is very fun, I do get it, but I don't think they'll go back to shit once he eventually leaves.

Forest are a bit of a joke and it's amazing how many of their fans in my experience don't seem to see it coming. They had that prat Fawaz Al-Hasawi running things a few years ago, he just seemed really reckless from the off but they happened to have a very good run early doors under him that hoodwinked them. He ended up being the stereotype clown of an owner with no real clue about football. Their latest one, Marinakis, has a bit of a history of being involved in match-fixing and whilst I've just read he was found not guilty, trouble seems to follow him a bit too closely - would for my liking if it was our owner anyway. In this time period he's also proven himself to be a bit of a clown.

Forest are just a dreadfully run club and they have been for years. I get that Hughton is a pretty dull manager, he's very much one of those who will get the job done but it won't be particularly memorable, but he's better than this, he's not got a track record that suggests this kind of run at Forest is the norm, he's a generally quite safe pair of hands.

I think there's a very good chance they get relegated this season. They were here 12 months ago and Hughton felt like a rare sensible move from them, but it's ended up going the same way. I see no obvious alternative for them this time.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Leeds have new ownership in the last few years, just strikes me that they have their heads a bit more switched on. Bielsa gets the headlines and he is very fun, I do get it, but I don't think they'll go back to shit once he eventually leaves.

Forest are a bit of a joke and it's amazing how many of their fans in my experience don't seem to see it coming. They had that prat Fawaz Al-Hasawi running things a few years ago, he just seemed really reckless from the off but they happened to have a very good run early doors under him that hoodwinked them. He ended up being the stereotype clown of an owner with no real clue about football. Their latest one, Marinakis, has a bit of a history of being involved in match-fixing and whilst I've just read he was found not guilty, trouble seems to follow him a bit too closely - would for my liking if it was our owner anyway. In this time period he's also proven himself to be a bit of a clown.

Forest are just a dreadfully run club and they have been for years. I get that Hughton is a pretty dull manager, he's very much one of those who will get the job done but it won't be particularly memorable, but he's better than this, he's not got a track record that suggests this kind of run at Forest is the norm, he's a generally quite safe pair of hands.

I think there's a very good chance they get relegated this season. They were here 12 months ago and Hughton felt like a rare sensible move from them, but it's ended up going the same way. I see no obvious alternative for them this time.

Forest's current owner has weird mob ties, I wouldn't be surprised if the primary reason they've made so many signings is because they're laundering money. From the football side of things, I think he cares more about Olympiakos (cos he owns them too) than Forest.

On 16/09/2021 at 12:16, Stan said:

Surprised he's not done well there. Always thought he was a credible and competent manager. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes which affected his management?

Would be amusing if they and Derby both got relegated though. Would make Coventry's return back to this division and doing alright shine even more. 

I like Houghton nice guy. I spoke to a British city fan and he wanted him to be their next manager there. I dont want derby or forest to go down. Derby filled there stadium on a Monday evening when they were already relegated in 2008. I went to the game and  was very impressed with their support. Also from what I have heard Forrest supporters are good as well. They know they aren't a massive club and  they know what they did under clough was a once in a lifetime achievement that will probably never be repeated 

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I like Houghton nice guy. I spoke to a British city fan and he wanted him to be their next manager there. I dont want derby or forest to go down. Derby filled there stadium on a Monday evening when they were already relegated in 2008. I went to the game and  was very impressed with their support. Also from what I have heard Forrest supporters are good as well. They know they aren't a massive club and  they know what they did under clough was a once in a lifetime achievement that will probably never be repeated 

You've been extremely lucky there xD

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

You've been extremely lucky there xD

It was just what I've heard. Could be wrong. But I like forest. Sometimes you just like a certain club. 

Archived