talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottingham Forest Thread

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Lucas said:

Forest and Derby dropping to League One would be astonishing, especially if Sheffield Wednesday failed to make it up.

I know it's very early, but this new Wigan team seem to have gelled very quickly and Lee Johnson has been able to mould Sunderland in to a team he's happy with. That last spot could be a lottery given there's about ten teams who thought they had a realistic chance of automatic promotion and none of them are vying a playoff spot at present. Could be a very interesting season in League One that's proving to be more difficult to get out of than The Championship in recent seasons.

In the summer when Brennan Johnson was being linked to Brentford I remember a couple of us talking about how baffled we were with Nottingham Forest's transfer policy. So whilst they'll get initial criticism for taking another U turn in terms of direction this one at least feels like its going to make sense. With Steve Cooper's track record you anticipate this will be good for the likes of Brennan Johnson, Alex Mighten and Joe Worrall who really are the players Nottingham Forest should be looking to build the team around.

It's quite interesting that Cooper's gone from being linked to Palace in the Premier League to becoming manager at Forest in the Championship.

In some ways, it's a bit of a coup for Forest to attract someone who was receiving Premier League interest because had he stayed available, you'd have thought he may have been in the running for a low end Premier League job.

He obviously feels like he can do something there, and you assume he's been told by the owner and board enough to convince him he can achieve a promotion there.

It will be interesting to see how he does for now without the use of the transfer window.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It's quite interesting that Cooper's gone from being linked to Palace in the Premier League to becoming manager at Forest in the Championship.

In some ways, it's a bit of a coup for Forest to attract someone who was receiving Premier League interest because had he stayed available, you'd have thought he may have been in the running for a low end Premier League job.

He obviously feels like he can do something there, and you assume he's been told by the owner and board enough to convince him he can achieve a promotion there.

It will be interesting to see how he does for now without the use of the transfer window.

He's fallen in to the same trap many more before him have done in thinking: "I can be the man who can turn this big club around!".  You look at the list of ex-managers since they cancelled the Warburton project half way through and its a proper who's-who list of managers who were good appointments at the time but have struggled to gain employment at a similar level since.

The only caveat on this occasion is that he will have to answer to Dane Murphy instead of the psychopath who walked on to a pitch in Greece with a handgun in his trousers. So there's a little more hope on this occasions for positive change.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

13 points in 5 games so far. When you think how turgid they looked under Hughton that is some turnaround.

Think it's a case of players downing tools when they don't like a manager?

Sort of like a shit version of Chelsea where instead of getting tired of a manager after winning something they get tired of a manager after a brief patch of looking decent.

• 5 months later...

Have to say, there is a bit of a 'feeling' around Forest this season. Steve Cooper has done a brilliant job, he really has.

Great cup run, and looking decent in the league. If they were only 5 or 6 points behind Bournemouth, I'd really fancy them to catch them.

Certainly going to be a force in the playoffs should they get there. You'd have thought so anyway.

I'd love it if Forest could pip this expensive all star Championship side Bournemouth have assembled to second but I don't think there's enough games left to do it.

What keeps it alive is the Bournemouth Forest fixture but Forest need to be within 3pts by the time they play that I feel.

• Subscriber

I think Forest will do it this time. I don't want it to happen as much as it would make fixture day extremely interesting but I do think it's going to. They're relentless.

I’ve not watched a lot of Forest, or the Championship in general tbh. If Cooper’s Forest team are anything like his Swansea team then they’ll go straight back down. They were such a ratty outfit, playing on cyclical fouls too much. But yeah not sure what this team is like.

Good luck 🤞 to forest hope you boys go up. Out of any of them sides in or around the play offs id rather see you lot go up than anybody. 

Cooper doing a superb job. Think you'll lose some of them players if you don't make it up. Johnson especially. 

. If you don't go up 👆 and we come down it's another away day I always enjoyed. 

Last time I come forest we won 2 nil and Jay Rod got both. He should of had 3 missed a pen 

On 10/04/2022 at 23:43, Danny said:

I’ve not watched a lot of Forest, or the Championship in general tbh. If Cooper’s Forest team are anything like his Swansea team then they’ll go straight back down. They were such a ratty outfit, playing on cyclical fouls too much. But yeah not sure what this team is like.

Well being a ratty outfit suited you in both fixtures against us so based on that they should be fine 👀.

In all seriousness though they'll be the worst team to get promoted in some time purely based on the players theyll lose at the end of the season. Steve Cooper has turned Djed Spence in to a wing back playing out his skin like he did with Bidwell and Roberts but hes returning to Middlesbrough on a long term contract. Joe Garner's been a creative outlet in the middle but he returns to Man United. Zinckernagel, Max Lowe and Kienan Davis have been useful but they're all on loan too.

On 10/04/2022 at 15:43, Danny said:

When we played them they actually looked more decent than a lot of premier league sides xD

Well being a ratty outfit suited you in both fixtures against us so based on that they should be fine 👀.

In all seriousness though they'll be the worst team to get promoted in some time purely based on the players theyll lose at the end of the season. Steve Cooper has turned Djed Spence in to a wing back playing out his skin like he did with Bidwell and Roberts but hes returning to Middlesbrough on a long term contract. Joe Garner's been a creative outlet in the middle but he returns to Man United. Zinckernagel, Max Lowe and Kienan Davis have been useful but they're all on loan too.

In fairness playing them made us a bit more streetwise as they essentially fouled us out the game and grabbed a goal from fouling Raya. Was very satisfying outclassing them in the play-off final.

We have become a much more streetwise team this season though, you have to be to try and get an edge. Fortunately for us we also have fluidity and quality on the ball.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

In fairness playing them made us a bit more streetwise as they essentially fouled us out the game and grabbed a goal from fouling Raya. Was very satisfying outclassing them in the play-off final.

We have become a much more streetwise team this season though, you have to be to try and get an edge. Fortunately for us we also have fluidity and quality on the ball.

I was just pissing myself when I saw the stats. Play off final and they didn't muster a single shot on target. :D

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I was just pissing myself when I saw the stats. Play off final and they didn't muster a single shot on target. :D

We played it without Dasilva and Henry too, our biggest players away from Toney. Just such a complete team performance. It was satisfying because a lot of Swansea fans online had been throwing the “Brentford bottlejob” type memes at us all season, so to be so ruthless on the day and reduce them to little it was good.

Archived