talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joker (Sequel)

football forum

A “Joker” sequel has been the talk of Hollywood ever since the comic book drama defied box office expectations with over $1 billion worldwide and counting. Director Todd Phillips and star Joaquin Phoenix have gone back and forth on the idea of a sequel in interviews, but sources confirm to THR a second “Joker” film is in the early stages of moving forward at Warner Bros. with both gentlemen attached. The report says Phoenix already had a sequel option in place with Warner Bros. Phillips and his “Joker” co-writer Scott Silver are expected to reunite to pen the sequel.

joker-1.jpg?resize=800,450

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/joker-sequel-confirmed-joaquin-phoenix-batman-1202190930/

Really don't know how healthy this will be for Joaquin Phoenix to do this again :o

• The title was changed to Joker (Sequel)
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Really don't know how healthy this will be for Joaquin Phoenix to do this again :o

I don't think it'll be the most unhealthy thing Joaquin Phoenix does in his life. 

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not really needed is it?

The thing with Joker material is its nearly infinite. They've spun so many stories and done so much here they could just cross-link it with stuff in the Batman universe and make a whole trilogy to get him to the point they want. People will go watch it and if you've got someone willing to play the part why not I suppose? 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm in the minority of people that thought the first one was a bit shit, I suppose. So I don't really have high hopes for this one.

I thought that the first one was utter shite (bar JP performance), so definitely not going to waste my time on a sequel.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I thought that the first one was utter shite (bar JP performance), so definitely not going to waste my time on a sequel.

I mean... I don't even know that Joaquin Phoenix's performance was all that good. He was a great mentally ill person. Was he a great Joker? Maybe not his fault though it could just be the way the character was written for the film. Wouldn't be the first time you get some great actors (cos he is a great actor and so is De Niro) and have a film that is pretty far from great despite the cast.

JP's mannerisms and physical stature is arguably the best representation of the Joker in Cinema. 

Disagree entirely about the plot being mediocre but to each their own. Thought it was brilliant writing to tie in the Reagan Administration defunding social assistance programs/mental hospitals + the cruelty of western society ultimately transforming Fleck into the Joker. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

JP's mannerisms and physical stature is arguably the best representation of the Joker in Cinema. 

I still think Heath Ledger has him beat by some distance.

Then I think Mark Hamill as a voice actor has the rest of them beat by some distance tbh.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I still think Heath Ledger has him beat by some distance.

Then I think Mark Hamill as a voice actor has the rest of them beat by some distance tbh.

Performance I'd also give it to Ledger but I'm speaking specifically on mannerisms that tie to the Joker. Ledger's performance was a much more composed, cunning, and confident Joker whereas JP's performance was loosely tied to The Killing Joke. There was more depth behind the madness. There was a genuine fear of unpredictability when he snapped. His dark humor, the way he walked, his physical nature, his dancing, etc. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Performance I'd also give it to Ledger but I'm speaking specifically on mannerisms that tie to the Joker. Ledger's performance was a much more composed, cunning, and confident Joker whereas JP's performance was loosely tied to The Killing Joke. There was more depth behind the madness. There was a genuine fear of unpredictability when he snapped. His dark humor, the way he walked, his physical nature, his dancing, etc. 

Imo the closest Joker I've seen to The Joker from the Killing Joke remains Mark Hamill's portrayal from that brilliant cartoon when we were kids. I think it says something about that show that as a kid I thought it was one of the best shows around... and as an adult going back to watch it... I think it's some of the best Batman material I've seen.

The thing about the Joker, especially in the Killing Joke (just look at the very premise of it) is... while he's wildly unpredictable when he snaps, he definitely has the composed, cunning, and confident nature to pull off what he pulled off to set up the story for the Killing Joke. And in that sense, I think Ledger captured the character better than any live-action Joker that's come before (or after) him.

Phoenix's portrayal was definitely an interesting and unique portrayal of the character... but he also just seemed so far off from the Joker I would have expected from... basically every Batman iteration I'd ever seen of the Joker. From the films, cartoons, to the comics/graphic novels themselves. He's a great actor, I think he did a great job playing the character as it was written for him... I just don't think that character was truthful to most of the source material.

And I can forgive that in some instances when trying to tell a new story... but it's difficult in a universe like the Batman universe where there's so much great existing source material.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imo the closest Joker I've seen to The Joker from the Killing Joke remains Mark Hamill's portrayal from that brilliant cartoon when we were kids. I think it says something about that show that as a kid I thought it was one of the best shows around... and as an adult going back to watch it... I think it's some of the best Batman material I've seen.

The thing about the Joker, especially in the Killing Joke (just look at the very premise of it) is... while he's wildly unpredictable when he snaps, he definitely has the composed, cunning, and confident nature to pull off what he pulled off to set up the story for the Killing Joke. And in that sense, I think Ledger captured the character better than any live-action Joker that's come before (or after) him.

Phoenix's portrayal was definitely an interesting and unique portrayal of the character... but he also just seemed so far off from the Joker I would have expected from... basically every Batman iteration I'd ever seen of the Joker. From the films, cartoons, to the comics/graphic novels themselves. He's a great actor, I think he did a great job playing the character as it was written for him... I just don't think that character was truthful to most of the source material.

And I can forgive that in some instances when trying to tell a new story... but it's difficult in a universe like the Batman universe where there's so much great existing source material.

Mark Hamill in all honesty is the Joker. 😂. He's in all the shows, video games, and animated films from our childhood so when we see an animated Joker that doesn't have his voice we are immediately turned off. 

Not sure how you found more parallels in the Dark Knight vs The Joker when it comes to The Killing Joke.  The whole premise around Fleck's transformation was that anyone can lose their sanity after "One Bad Day"He discovered that life was meaningless, that its a joke and to simply embrace the insanity of life.  Much like in The Killing Joke we saw two completely polarizing roles in a 2hr film. From living in fear, to living without a care. 

I can agree both Joker's do a great job in representing their absurdist nature, but Ledger's Joker never had a spiral into insanity. He lived for chaos whereas JP's Joker learned to live in chaos. That in essence is the key thing for me. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Mark Hamill in all honesty is the Joker. 😂. He's in all the shows, video games, and animated films from our childhood so when we see an animated Joker that doesn't have his voice we are immediately turned off. 

Not sure how you found more parallels in the Dark Knight vs The Joker when it comes to The Killing Joke.  The whole premise around Fleck's transformation was that anyone can lose their sanity after "One Bad Day"He discovered that life was meaningless, that its a joke and to simply embrace the insanity of life.  Much like in The Killing Joke we saw two completely polarizing roles in a 2hr film. From living in fear, to living without a care. 

I can agree both Joker's do a great job in representing their absurdist nature, but Ledger's Joker never had a spiral into insanity. He lived for chaos whereas JP's Joker learned to live in chaos. That in essence is the key thing for me. 

I guess it's because when I think of the Joker in the Killing Joke, I suppose I think less of his transformation into the Joker and more about the Joker's actions as the Joker - which I think Ledger's character sort of reflects better in his actions. The kidnapping of Commissioner Gordon, the trying to convince Batman that the world isn't worth being saved and that Batman is just as insane as him.

I think we actually have valid reasons for thinking one Joker is more like the Joker in the killing Joke. I can agree that the Joker in "Joker" does a better job of showing the transition to the Joker we know and love as a villain, to an extent, because we see Fleck actually undergo his transition from a normal man to having that "one bad day" that makes a man insane - which is what the Joker is trying to show Batman in the Killing Joke.

But because we see 2 versions of the Joker in the Killing Joke... one where he's becoming the Joker and one where he's Batman's long-time nemesis... I just feel the portrayal of Heath Ledger is pretty true to the Joker we're more accustomed to.

Neither JP or HL's stories of the Joker are considered canon though, are they?

• 1 month later...

Archived