talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scottish Clubs & COVID Breaches

football forum

• Subscriber

Not sure if this could mean a fine and match points deductions on the games cancelled?

Quote.thumb.png.75f24610455bc4ee1b46a6e04487aa21.png

The SPFL has begun disciplinary action against Aberdeen and Celtic for alleged breaches of Covid-19 protocol.

Celtic defender Boli Bongoli and the eight Aberdeen players who broke lockdown have been issued with two Scottish FA charges - for bringing football into disrepute and failing to comply with the laws of the game.

Bolingoli played on Sunday despite not quarantining after a trip to Spain.

Aberdeen have "severely reprimanded and fined heavily" their eight players.

Two of them tested positive for Covid-19, and the six others also had to self-isolate, after a visit to a city-centre bar.

Aberdeen have had three Scottish Premiership matches postponed as a result of the breach of guidelines, with Celtic's two league fixtures this week also called off on the Scottish government's insistence.

First minister Nicola Sturgeon has warned Scottish football is on its final warning, just two weeks into the new Premiership season.

A Scottish FA hearing date has been set for 28 August for the nine players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53783017

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Celtic & Aberdeen Charged By SPFL
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Aberdeen and Celtic both fined £30,000 for the breaches. £8k each to go to the SPFL Trust. The remaining £22k suspended. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54235095

Aberdeen and Celtic have been fined £30,000 by the SPFL after players from both clubs breached Covid-19 rules.

Eight Aberdeen players visited a bar, where two contracted the virus, leading to the postponement of three Scottish Premiership matches.

Celtic had two games delayed when Boli Bolingoli went to Spain, and played against Kilmarnock without entering quarantine on his return.

The clubs are required to pay £8,000 to the SPFL Trust.

The remaining £22,000 each will only be due to the league's charitable arm if there are further breaches by the clubs before the end of the season.

In a statement, the SPFL said both clubs "offered substantial evidence in mitigation" after they were charged separately for their players' actions.

A spokesman added that both "had gone to enormous lengths to ensure that their players adhered to all relevant requirements and protocols relating to Covid-19" which is why the majority of the fine is suspended.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack said the punishment is a "fair outcome".

"They have taken into account the measures we have since put in place to reinforce these with all our staff and players," he added. "The whole regrettable incident is now well and truly behind us."

The 'Aberdeen eight' were given a suspended three-game ban last month by the Scottish FA for their actions while Celtic's Bolingoli, who has since moved to Istanbul Basaksehir on loan, was banned for three matches with a further two suspended.

• The title was changed to Celtic & Aberdeen Charged & Fined By SPFL For COVID Breaches
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

How they were allowed to go to Dubai I do not know. Did the SPFL know about it? 

The Scottish Government sanctioned it, for what possible reason nobody knows.

Lennon and Brown were able to get some beers in whilst sitting by the pool though...

• Subscriber

Celtic v Hibernian goes ahead as planned on Monday evening despite the hosts being told that 13 first-team players must self-isolate.

The Scottish champions say Christopher Jullien was the player to test positive for Covid-19 on return from the club's Dubai training camp.

A local NHS health protection team has since deemed 13 other players to be close contacts.

Manager Neil Lennon and assistant John Kennedy must also isolate.

All 15 members of staff will also be absent for Saturday's Scottish Premiership game at home against Livingston.

Celtic stress that injured defender Jullien was the only positive case, saying they are "hugely disappointed" by the decision.

But First Minister Nicola Sturgeon urged Celtic to "reflect seriously" on events that have led to the recent outbreak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55525905

On 11/01/2021 at 12:40, Stan said:

How they were allowed to go to Dubai I do not know. Did the SPFL know about it?

As far as I am aware the SPFL also sanctioned this. They also permitted the home game against Hibs be delayed to the Monday without taking into account Hibs thoughts on the delay and if they would have objected.

On 11/01/2021 at 12:55, ScoRoss said:

The Scottish Government sanctioned it, for what possible reason nobody knows.

That was in November, I believe, when circumstances were different regards the seriousness.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Rangers probe follows break up of Glasgow house party by police

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56053807

You'd think, if there was one club desperate for the season to be allowed to continue, it would be Rangers.

Gerrard punished the previous players firmly, I'd expect he'd probably go down a similar route this time.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

You'd think, if there was one club desperate for the season to be allowed to continue, it would be Rangers.

Gerrard punished the previous players firmly, I'd expect he'd probably go down a similar route this time.

I would imagine there would be a lot of Celtic fans now crying out for the Gers to be deducted points if this is true. xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Didn't Sturgeon say something about Scotland being on a yellow card after Celtic's breach? What will she make of this? 

Nicola Sturgeon and the 6 warnings she's sent Scottish football as alleged Ranger's partygoers leave game holding its breath

The Ibrox club are investigating reports that a number of players attended a party on Saturday night.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nicola-sturgeon-6-warnings-shes-23501247

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

If this is true then I would expect the same. Again, if its true, I can't begin to understand what they have been thinking about especially after the Jones and Edmundson scenario. Need to wait and see what the facts are before hanging them out to dry.

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would imagine there would be a lot of Celtic fans now crying out for the Gers to be deducted points if this is true. xD

Aye, well they can cry me a river....lol

• Subscriber

Bloody idiots.

Rangers: Steven Gerrard 'let down' as five players self-isolate after Covid breaches

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard says he has been "let down" by five players who have breached Covid-19 regulations.

Gerrard confirmed Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear are self-isolating.

The players will be fined, with the club "in dialogue with the SFA and government moving forward to find the solution in terms of those boys".

"I am trying to move forward and focus on the important things," Gerrard told Rangers TV.

Of the five, Zungu, Patterson and Bassey would all have been in contention for a place in the squad for Thursday's Europa League last-32 tie with Royal Antwerp.

Mebude is on loan at Championship side Queen of the South, and goalkeeper Kinnear is a youth player.

Following an investigation, the manager confirmed the players breached strict lockdown rules after a party was broken up by police in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "We received a report of a gathering at a property in Hayburn Lane, Glasgow, around 1.10 am on Sunday, 14 February.

"Officers attended and those in attendance left. Ten people were issued with fixed penalty notices for breaching coronavirus regulations."

On Monday, Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon responded to a question about the incident by urging football to "make sure your house is in order".

The breach comes two months after Rangers players Jordan Jones and George Edmundson were banned by the club for two weeks for attending an illegal house party.

Northern Irish winger Jones and English defender Edmundson were subsequently given seven-match bans by the Scottish FA and both moved on loan to English clubs in January - Jones to Sunderland and Edmundson to Derby County

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56098667

Archived