Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Ronald Koeman To Replace Setien as Barca Manager

With elections not until next year (unless of a board resignation), would any top manager take the job with such instability around the club for the foreseeable future?

I think this was inevitable anyway. It just wasn't working for him and losing the title to Real was just another nail in the coffin. 

Didn't Poch once say he'll never manage Barca because of the Espanyol connections? 

They need someone there to have stability and someone who can manage a Messi-less Barca as that's surely on the horizon within a few years time? 

Then there is Barcelona, city rivals of Espanyol, the club to whom he gave so much in two spells as a player and one as a coach, saving them from relegation in his first managerial job. In March 2017, when his Spurs team were at their thrilling peak, Pochettino met president Josep Maria Bartomeu in Barcelona but said it would be “impossible” for him to coach Barcelona because of those Espanyol connections. Soon after that, Ernesto Valverde replaced Luis Enrique.

But time has moved on and Pochettino told El Pais that he was only so firm in his answer then because he wanted to settle the issue. He admitted he might not answer the question the same way no because “in life, you never know what will happen”. And everyone — including Setien — can guess the implication of that statement.

Seems he's a bit more open to the idea than when first asked about it. Probably a smart move at the time, would have dismissed any follow up questions when he was still Tottenham manager.

29 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems he's a bit more open to the idea than when first asked about it. Probably a smart move at the time, would have dismissed any follow up questions when he was still Tottenham manager.

True. Things do change. I think he'd be a great fit there if he does end up going. 

Might mean Kane heads there when Messi goes :ph34r:

Barcelona also have Ramon Planes at the club now, appointed in 2018, who gave Pochettino his first managerial job at Espanyol in 2009 and worked again with Pochettino at Tottenham in 2014/15.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Barcelona also have Ramon Planes at the club now, appointed in 2018, who gave Pochettino his first managerial job at Espanyol in 2009 and worked again with Pochettino at Tottenham in 2014/15.

Almost like they've planned for it xD

Could you see that working though??? Pochettino is a builder and Barca are results driven... Given a lot of the players are getting older they are going to need quality fresh blood in that side and he would be a very lucky man if he could turn round their fortunes in only a few months... I am not knocking Pochettino because given enough time I think he could probably do very well there but doubt Barcelona's patience to get such a project done..  Funds won't be an issue obviously but they are more likely to do it manager by manager, sacking by sacking rather than sticking with someone for 2 or 3 years to see it through... 

Edited by Bluewolf

Pochettino :rofl:

What has he ever won, in his managing career?

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Our hearts 

:4_joy: Can't tell if this is irony.

What a horrific club Barcelona now are. I remember warning about this when they got UNICEF on their shirt as way to get sponsorship. As a fanbase only Manchester United are more repulsive and spoiled. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What a horrific club Barcelona now are. I remember warning about this when they got UNICEF on their shirt as way to get sponsorship. As a fanbase only Manchester United are more repulsive and spoiled. 

I take that and raise you a Real Madrid.

• Haha 1

Barcelona should take a leaf out of Real Madrid's book, say YOLO, and just hire Carles Puyol

8 hours ago, AMG said:

Barcelona should take a leaf out of Real Madrid's book, say YOLO, and just hire Carles Puyol

Think they tried hiring him last summer as sporting director but he, along with a number of other former Barcelona players, don't want to work or be associated with this current board.

This is a bit like Pirlo at Juventus. Club legend who hasn't done enough as a coach to deserve the job. 

Having said that, if Koeman has the guts to clean the squad from the veterans, it could be good to Barcelona. 

Barça needs a coach that does what Pep did when he took over, getting rid of the likes of Ronaldinho and Deco. 

What makes this task even tougher though is that this time they don't have young Messi, Iniesta and Xavi in their squad nor do they have the funds to bring impactful players, like Dani Alves in 2008. 

It could be a long rebuild for Barcelona. Hopefully, Koeman proves us wrong and fix Barcelona. 

• Upvote 1

The man who helped set Everton back 5 years in the space of three transfer windows and has a CV filled with utter mediocrity elsewhere? The brains trust who thought that Ashley Williams, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yannick Bolasie and Gylfi Sigurdsson were going to turn a mid-table Premier League side into top six contenders? Sounds like the man for the job.

I've heard it said about Valencia that it took them 5 years to recover from him as well but I'm not well versed in La Liga history so I'll leave it to others to elaborate on that or shoot it down as appropriate.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The man who helped set Everton back 5 years in the space of three transfer windows and has a CV filled with utter mediocrity elsewhere? The brains trust who thought that Ashley Williams, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yannick Bolasie and Gylfi Sigurdsson were going to turn a mid-table Premier League side into top six contenders? Sounds like the man for the job.

I've heard it said about Valencia that it took them 5 years to recover from him as well but I'm not well versed in La Liga history so I'll leave it to others to elaborate on that or shoot it down as appropriate.

Valencia were in huge financial trouble before he took over So whatever you have heard isnt true as he was only there for 8 months. He did actually win the Spanish cup with Valencia even though they were a struggling team.

Edited by SirBalon 69

I have heard its all been agreed, Koeman will be the coach on monday with alfred schreuder as his assistant.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Those players except for Bolasie were very highly rated at the time, surely you don't forget that in hindsight?

Everton were actually quite enjoyable to watch in their first season under Koeman, they were certainly 'contenders' for the top 6 too. They lost something like 4 of their last 5, ending up 7th. Not saying Koeman is the right man, but I think he has done reasonable jobs at some clubs. Not sure it'll be enough for Barcelona though, the rot seems deeper than 2009.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson are class. 

11 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson are class. 

*were

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Stan said:

*were

I think Everton fans are some of the worst in the world for forgetting a managers triumphs and hating their failures. 

I mean, triumphs is a relative term, but hey it's Everton

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Those players except for Bolasie were very highly rated at the time, surely you don't forget that in hindsight?

Is this a joke? Williams was 30, Schneiderlin had failed at United and Sigurdsson had failed at Spurs, cost £45m, was about 27 and wasn't even played in his correct position because Rooney played there. Of the four, Bolasie wasn't the worst signing. He wasn't good but was unlucky with his injury.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Everton were actually quite enjoyable to watch in their first season under Koeman, they were certainly 'contenders' for the top 6 too. They lost something like 4 of their last 5, ending up 7th. Not saying Koeman is the right man, but I think he has done reasonable jobs at some clubs. Not sure it'll be enough for Barcelona though, the rot seems deeper than 2009.

Lukaku carried us to 7th that season. Koeman's lack of tactical flexibility and inability to get the best out of any of his attacking players or even play them in position (Calvert-Lewin at right-wing back, Sigurdsson on the left wing) was exposed at the start of the second season. We played about 12 games before he was sacked and we lost about 8 of them by 3 or more goals.

17 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think Everton fans are some of the worst in the world for forgetting a managers triumphs and hating their failures. 

I mean, triumphs is a relative term, but hey it's Everton

"Triumphs"? No trophy in 25 years, one cup final appearance in that time, one top six finish in the last 7 seasons. The reason what you describe is correct is because all Everton do is fail, and every manager we've had in our lifetimes has ultimately been a failure, Koeman included. His biggest triumph at Everton was finishing 7th. His solution to rebuilding from the mess left behind by Martinez was to sign a series of £30m 28 year olds on five year contracts, some of whom are still bleeding our wage budget dry, he showed absolutely no interest in developing younger players and couldn't even be bothered to take training most of the time by all accounts. His record throughout his managerial career is bang average. The Holland job was probably ideal for him because he doesn't have to do any coaching of note and can take most of the year off which is what he wanted to do at Everton. Even when he signed, we had to wait several extra weeks because he insisted on finishing his summer holiday before he came back and signed the deal.

Maybe he'll actually be arsed now that he has his dream job but Barcelona have serious problems and if I was one of their fans, I'd be hoping that Koeman isn't the man making too many of the big decisions.

I've admitted that I don't know enough about his "failure" at Valencia and won't pretend to know more than people when I don't. The rest of you needn't pretend you're more qualified to talk about his time at Everton than I am. I'm not exaggerating when I say we're still directly suffering from some of the things he did during his tenure with us and nothing on his managerial CV is enough to convince me that he's anything but a poor to average manager.

• Upvote 1

Not to totally exonerate Koeman, but doesn't Everton's recent transfer activity suggest there is a problem further up? Iwobi is an absolutely abysmal football player, a ladybird could have told you that before 30 odd million was spent on him. Walcott similarly, a busted flush nearly 30, over 20 mill. The signings have continued after Koeman left. 

Everton's issue is that they have a bit of money to spend so think they must, they're not going to attract the very top bracket of player right now but are still spending top player money. 

• Upvote 1