talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronald Koeman To Replace Setien as Barca Manager

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I think this was inevitable anyway. It just wasn't working for him and losing the title to Real was just another nail in the coffin. 

Didn't Poch once say he'll never manage Barca because of the Espanyol connections? 

They need someone there to have stability and someone who can manage a Messi-less Barca as that's surely on the horizon within a few years time? 

Then there is Barcelona, city rivals of Espanyol, the club to whom he gave so much in two spells as a player and one as a coach, saving them from relegation in his first managerial job. In March 2017, when his Spurs team were at their thrilling peak, Pochettino met president Josep Maria Bartomeu in Barcelona but said it would be “impossible” for him to coach Barcelona because of those Espanyol connections. Soon after that, Ernesto Valverde replaced Luis Enrique.

But time has moved on and Pochettino told El Pais that he was only so firm in his answer then because he wanted to settle the issue. He admitted he might not answer the question the same way no because “in life, you never know what will happen”. And everyone — including Setien — can guess the implication of that statement.

Seems he's a bit more open to the idea than when first asked about it. Probably a smart move at the time, would have dismissed any follow up questions when he was still Tottenham manager.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems he's a bit more open to the idea than when first asked about it. Probably a smart move at the time, would have dismissed any follow up questions when he was still Tottenham manager.

True. Things do change. I think he'd be a great fit there if he does end up going. 

Might mean Kane heads there when Messi goes :ph34r:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Barcelona also have Ramon Planes at the club now, appointed in 2018, who gave Pochettino his first managerial job at Espanyol in 2009 and worked again with Pochettino at Tottenham in 2014/15.

Almost like they've planned for it xD

Could you see that working though??? Pochettino is a builder and Barca are results driven... Given a lot of the players are getting older they are going to need quality fresh blood in that side and he would be a very lucky man if he could turn round their fortunes in only a few months... I am not knocking Pochettino because given enough time I think he could probably do very well there but doubt Barcelona's patience to get such a project done..  Funds won't be an issue obviously but they are more likely to do it manager by manager, sacking by sacking rather than sticking with someone for 2 or 3 years to see it through... 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What a horrific club Barcelona now are. I remember warning about this when they got UNICEF on their shirt as way to get sponsorship. As a fanbase only Manchester United are more repulsive and spoiled. 

I take that and raise you a Real Madrid.

8 hours ago, AMG said:

Barcelona should take a leaf out of Real Madrid's book, say YOLO, and just hire Carles Puyol

Think they tried hiring him last summer as sporting director but he, along with a number of other former Barcelona players, don't want to work or be associated with this current board.

• The title was changed to Ronald Koeman To Replace Setien as Barca Manager

This is a bit like Pirlo at Juventus. Club legend who hasn't done enough as a coach to deserve the job. 

Having said that, if Koeman has the guts to clean the squad from the veterans, it could be good to Barcelona. 

Barça needs a coach that does what Pep did when he took over, getting rid of the likes of Ronaldinho and Deco. 

What makes this task even tougher though is that this time they don't have young Messi, Iniesta and Xavi in their squad nor do they have the funds to bring impactful players, like Dani Alves in 2008. 

It could be a long rebuild for Barcelona. Hopefully, Koeman proves us wrong and fix Barcelona. 

• Subscriber

The man who helped set Everton back 5 years in the space of three transfer windows and has a CV filled with utter mediocrity elsewhere? The brains trust who thought that Ashley Williams, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yannick Bolasie and Gylfi Sigurdsson were going to turn a mid-table Premier League side into top six contenders? Sounds like the man for the job.

I've heard it said about Valencia that it took them 5 years to recover from him as well but I'm not well versed in La Liga history so I'll leave it to others to elaborate on that or shoot it down as appropriate.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The man who helped set Everton back 5 years in the space of three transfer windows and has a CV filled with utter mediocrity elsewhere? The brains trust who thought that Ashley Williams, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yannick Bolasie and Gylfi Sigurdsson were going to turn a mid-table Premier League side into top six contenders? Sounds like the man for the job.

I've heard it said about Valencia that it took them 5 years to recover from him as well but I'm not well versed in La Liga history so I'll leave it to others to elaborate on that or shoot it down as appropriate.

Valencia were in huge financial trouble before he took over So whatever you have heard isnt true as he was only there for 8 months. He did actually win the Spanish cup with Valencia even though they were a struggling team.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Those players except for Bolasie were very highly rated at the time, surely you don't forget that in hindsight?

Everton were actually quite enjoyable to watch in their first season under Koeman, they were certainly 'contenders' for the top 6 too. They lost something like 4 of their last 5, ending up 7th. Not saying Koeman is the right man, but I think he has done reasonable jobs at some clubs. Not sure it'll be enough for Barcelona though, the rot seems deeper than 2009.

Archived