talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronald Koeman To Replace Setien as Barca Manager

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Koeman was always going to be an option as was so even before Valverde went in. Given the success over the years of winning trophies with ex players, it makes sense to go for Koeman. 

He is a hero among the Barcelona faithful and was the man who scored the winning goal to secure the club's first ever Champions League win, was a great servant and the best defender in the club's history and is regarded as one of the best player's in the history of the club. In fact there are 4 monuments outside a club shop in Barcelona, one of Messi, Cruijff, Kubala and... Koeman. That's how highly regarded he is at the club and why he's being given the chance. It's not the case of some random appointment. 

Whether it works, you never know. But ex players seem to work at Barcelona and Koeman actually had more managerial experience than the likes of Pep, Enrique and Rijkaard. Saying that he also has his work cut out for him as he doesn't have a Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol, Messi isn't 21 anymore and he doesn't have a Neymar or an inform Suarez.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

A former Celtic legend, a good choice and I can always see him as a future Celtic manager, SAF tried to sign him from Celtic years ago but he remained loyal to Celtic one of the best strikers around in his days.   

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.415bc223525e1600fd35649137782521.png

New Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman wants to sign Inter Milan's Argentina forward Lautaro Martinez, 23, Manchester City's Spanish centre-back Eric Garcia, 19, and 25-year-old Spain full-back Jose Gaya of Valencia. (Sport - in Spanish)Arrow.png.764e6f7d553dce0d8610366e0022a7c0.png

The Catalan club is also interested in Ajax's Argentina left-back Nicolas Tagliafico, 27. (Marca)Arrow.png.764e6f7d553dce0d8610366e0022a7c0.png

Koeman would also like Brazil playmaker Coutinho to be part of his plans - the 28-year-old has been on loan at Bayern Munich this season. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)Arrow.png.764e6f7d553dce0d8610366e0022a7c0.png

Koeman contacted Suárez, Vidal, Rakitic and Umtiti today and informed them they are not in his plans.

Koeman is doing everything right so far.

Cleaning the squad from the declining veterans is a tough step, but he is showing he has the guts to lead the rebuild Barcelona needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Could de Jong, Coutinho and Puig work in midfield? @El Profesor

3 very different types of players. Let's also not forget that Coutinho was class in his first half of the season for Barcelona when playing as an attacking midfielder. Then After his injury, he was played as part of a front 3, which didn't suit him. Messi also plays most of his football dropping deep into midfield which adds more stability and creativity. It would help if Dembélé could stay away from injuries(which I wouldn't hold my breath) as that could make a huge difference.

Ansu has to play aswell. By far the most talented attacking player at the club since Bojan. In fact Messi, as he's already better than Bojan all-round and unlike Bojan, he's a confident young lad, while Bojan suffered serious anxiety issues which was always his downfall in the end. Saying that I think it's important not to rush him either at the same time as he is 17. But still, he should be getting plenty of minutes, same with Puig.

There is talk of crisis, but there was a massive "crisis" in 2008 and in 2014. It's only a crisis if it's allowed to be one, as there is actually a very good squad there. It's about what Koeman can do. Get this board out in March, hope whoever wins the elections isn't a clown, who surrounds himself with other clowns and a new future can be built. 

9 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Could de Jong, Coutinho and Puig work in midfield? @El Profesor

3 very different types of players. Let's also not forget that Coutinho was class in his first half of the season for Barcelona when playing as an attacking midfielder. Then After his injury, he was played as part of a front 3, which didn't suit him. Messi also plays most of his football dropping deep into midfield which adds more stability and creativity. It would help if Dembélé could stay away from injuries(which I wouldn't hold my breath) as that could make a huge difference.

Ansu has to play aswell. By far the most talented attacking player at the club since Bojan. In fact Messi, as he's already better than Bojan all-round and unlike Bojan, he's a confident young lad, while Bojan suffered serious anxiety issues which was always his downfall in the end. Saying that I think it's important not to rush him either at the same time as he is 17. But still, he should be getting plenty of minutes, same with Puig.

There is talk of crisis, but there was a massive "crisis" in 2008 and in 2014. It's only a crisis if it's allowed to be one, as there is actually a very good squad there. It's about what Koeman can do. Get this board out in March, hope whoever wins the elections isn't a clown, who surrounds himself with other clowns and a new future can be built. 

I don't think so, Chris. That midfield is just too soft physically. In my opinion, you can't play in big games with this midfield formation.

If I were Koeman, I'd use de Jong/Pjanic in a double pivot and then a third man with more freedom in the midfield to link up with the forwards. Could be Puig. 

Now, If Gini comes, then de Jong/Gini in a double pivot and Pjanic/Puig to complete the midfield.

I hope I'm totally wrong on this, but in my opinion, Coutinho doesn't belong in a top club. I feel like he's a player better suited to a mid-table side where he's the focal point of almost every offensive action. He doesn't offer enough without the ball in the midfield and while he shoots the ball very well from long-range, that doesn't add much value to Barcelona, because when you have Messi it's a waste to risk possession with long-range shots.

14 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I don't think so, Chris. That midfield is just too soft physically. In my opinion, you can't play in big games with this midfield formation.

If I were Koeman, I'd use de Jong/Pjanic in a double pivot and then a third man with more freedom in the midfield to link up with the forwards. Could be Puig. 

Now, If Gini comes, then de Jong/Gini in a double pivot and Pjanic/Puig to complete the midfield.

I hope I'm totally wrong on this, but in my opinion, Coutinho doesn't belong in a top club. I feel like he's a player better suited to a mid-table side where he's the focal point of almost every offensive action. He doesn't offer enough without the ball in the midfield and while he shoots the ball very well from long-range, that doesn't add much value to Barcelona, because when you have Messi it's a waste to risk possession with long-range shots.

That's the problem with Coutinho, he doesn't know when to shoot or pass and it makes him wasteful and frustrating. But what he could be useful for is coming off the bench to make an impact.

There is talk of Barça still in the market for Lautaro Martínez but that could be s difficult one due to the price and the current financial situation at the club, which has been hit hard during the Corona outbreak.

What I like about Puig is that he is full.of energy and always looks to pass forward. He's a breath of fresh air, just like Fati, as Barcelona have been looking for players like this to come through for years. Carles Aleñá is also joining back up with the squad after his loan spell at Betis, so let's see if he can impress himself. The injury for him was a set back but the loan at Betis will have helped him gain experience.

Archived