talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor (Mayweather Jr. Wins)

football forum

Who will emerge victorious?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will emerge victorious?

• Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    • Conor McGregor

• Subscriber

It's far from dead. I've been to a few events and it's been amazing.

British boxing is booming as they say...

England is where it's at right now. And you all love to hate him but Eddie Hearn is one of the main reasons why. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Boxing is doing very well in the UK at the minute, the heavyweight division is actually interesting and Canelo v GGG is a genuine fight for the ages on paper, boxing dead? Nah we disagree here hugely 

1 minute ago, JOSHBRFC said:

England is where it's at right now. And you all love to hate him but Eddie Hearn is one of the main reasons why. 

It may as well be dead in the USA and Australia. Even the big Pacquiao vs that Brisbane guy was an unknown event in Australia. The only reason I even knew it happened was because I know a bunch of Filipinos. The later being the only people I've met in my life that actually have an interest in the sport. I'm pretty clued in most sports but I couldn't name more than two active boxers.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

It may as well be dead in the USA and Australia. Even the big Pacquiao vs that Brisbane guy was an unknown event in Australia. The only reason I even knew it happened was because I know a bunch of Filipinos. The later being the only people I've met in my life that actually have an interest in the sport. I'm pretty clued in most sports but I couldn't name more than two active boxers.

It's big in the US still, Australia isn't big because you're shit at it. 

Just now, Fairy In Boots said:

Must be why I've never seen coverage of a fight on TV or heard anyone talk about it. Not even this over-hyped circus affair. 

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

55,000 at that Pacquiao fight. What unknown event gets that kind of attendance?

Obviously you wouldn't be able to name more than two if you don't follow the sport. Outside of football, tennis and boxing I couldn't name many people from other sports but I'm not going to sit here and claim that some other sport is dying on its arse because I know they're not, they just don't interest me.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

55,000 at that Pacquiao fight. What unknown event gets that kind of attendance?

Obviously you wouldn't be able to name more than two if you don't follow the sport. Outside of football, tennis and boxing I couldn't name many people from other sports but I'm not going to sit here and claim that some other sport is dying on its arse because I know they're not, they just don't interest me.

55,000? Lang Park is only 52,000 capacity. There are probably 52,000 Filipinos in South-East QLD alone xD Bragging about a superstar like Pacquiao pulling great numbers is like bragging about the Superbowl pulling an audience in Brisbane. Do you think most people are active fans of the sport or are just there becuase of the Pacquiao hype?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

55,000? Lang Park is only 52,000 capacity. There are probably 52,000 Filipinos in South-East QLD alone xD Bragging about a superstar like Pacquiao pulling great numbers is like bragging about the Superbowl pulling an audience in Brisbane. Do you think most people are active fans of the sport or are just there becuase of the Pacquiao hype?

Figure was off the top of my head, I knew it was in the region of 50,000. No bragging here mate, just stating it clearly wasn't an 'unknown event' as you described it. The sport clearly isn't that big in Australia though, I agree. You'll always get casual fans at the very big events where a big name is. To claim that the sport is dead in America or some other places is ridiculous though. 

44 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Figure was off the top of my head, I knew it was in the region of 50,000. No bragging here mate, just stating it clearly wasn't an 'unknown event' as you described it. The sport clearly isn't that big in Australia though, I agree. You'll always get casual fans at the very big events where a big name is. To claim that the sport is dead in America or some other places is ridiculous though. 

I just don't see the interest outside of the megafights. I work in customer service and speak to dozens of people a day, casually, and professionally. Not once has the sport came up or have I overheard anyone discussing it. MMA on the otherhand is fawned over. Obviously if I lived in Vegas it'd be a different story but that place is a Mecca. Even back home outside of superhyped Green and Mundine fights there was much casual or cultural interest in spectatorship. Actual participation outweighs spectating, even I've sparred and I've obly watched a couple of fights live

5 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Only the fights with Mayweather or Pacquiao (and Pacquiao only because of the Filipinos imo). Otherwise nobody really gives a shit.

13 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Disagree to an extent.

British boxing is booming as a business within Britain, but a lot of it is decent or good boxers being overhyped by the media and promoters. It's good for rivalries within Britain, but the US probably have the better quality of champions in terms of now and in potential. Other than AJ, strongest division we have is probably around middleweight/super middleweight and the biggest out of them is probably De Gale...Groves has finally managed a title win, Eubank Jr doesn't even hold a recognised belt to be classed as one of the best, Saunders has had a long time out.

Compare our champions to Andre Ward, Spence Junior, Davis, Thurman...

I think Haye vs Bellew is a perfect example of British boxing at the moment, PPV, so much hype, but neither is that great with that great of a record. Speaks for itself that Bellew said the best name on his record was Haye and that's not the David Haye that was world champion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we still see Brook vs Khan on PPV in a sell out arena...obviously it's good for everyone probably bar the fans due to having to pay for it, but for me that's what British boxing largely is right now.

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, Danny said:

Disagree to an extent.

British boxing is booming as a business within Britain, but a lot of it is decent or good boxers being overhyped by the media and promoters. It's good for rivalries within Britain, but the US probably have the better quality of champions in terms of now and in potential. Other than AJ, strongest division we have is probably around middleweight/super middleweight and the biggest out of them is probably De Gale...Groves has finally managed a title win, Eubank Jr doesn't even hold a recognised belt to be classed as one of the best, Saunders has had a long time out.

Compare our champions to Andre Ward, Spence Junior, Davis, Thurman...

I think Haye vs Bellew is a perfect example of British boxing at the moment, PPV, so much hype, but neither is that great with that great of a record. Speaks for itself that Bellew said the best name on his record was Haye and that's not the David Haye that was world champion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we still see Brook vs Khan on PPV in a sell out arena...obviously it's good for everyone probably bar the fans due to having to pay for it, but for me that's what British boxing largely is right now.

It's booming from both aspects. At the end of 2016 we had more World champions than any other country.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure if that stat is still the same, but that's quite impressive.

Also how is Brook - Khan not good for the fans? Fans have been wanting this fight for a long time. I'm so bored of people moaning about PPV fights. Nobody forces you to part with 15 - 20 quid. The majority of these big fights couldn't happen without PPV.

3 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

It's booming from both aspects. At the end of 2016 we had more World champions than any other country.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure if that stat is still the same, but that's quite impressive.

Also how is Brook - Khan not good for the fans? Fans have been wanting this fight for a long time. I'm so bored of people moaning about PPV fights. Nobody forces you to part with 15 - 20 quid. The majority of these big fights couldn't happen without PPV.

If they were better fighters it would be good for fans, Brook has just come off of two big losses where his eye sockets couldn't last and Khan hasn't had the hype he did for a while now. Personally I'd just watch it at the pub to avoid paying.

• Subscriber

I'd definitely go to it. Or try and get tickets, now I'm a Matchroom fight pass member it's easier to get tickets. 

Brook was unfortunate in damaging his eye sockets. And he lost to the best P4P and most destructive puncher in years and Spence I could see being he P4P best in years to come.

Khan is just a nob and I can't stand the cunt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Sky Sports News is unbearable this week. Do people actually buy into the horribly staged trash talk and interviews and the live coverage of two posturing big kids getting out of their car and arriving at their hotel or whatever? Cringe central.

I actually enjoy boxing as a sport but the fact they build up for months for a fight that lasts for five minutes really is embarrassing, though I understand it's just "how it is".

Just like football's home and away ties, this matchup should also have one boxing match and then a UFC fight to make the playing field even, McGregor might definitely lose the boxing match but he will fuck the hell out of mayweather in UFC rules match 

I'm not saying he will win, but Paddy power are being a bit ballsy. Did they see the snippets of what he did to Malignaggi in sparring. Say what you want about McGregor but anybody who can do that to a former world champ deserves a bit of respect.

The fight isn't going to last five minutes either, unless it comes from a McGregor KO win. Mayweather doesn't have the punching power to down McGregor in the early stages.

Really wouldn't read anything at all into that sparring to be honest. Like you said it was a snippet, unless they've released further footage? Team McGregor aren't going to release any footage of him getting his arse handed to him. Doesn't sound like he's had the best sparring in terms of who's he's had in camp either, Malignaggi aside (who was completely finished).

Archived