talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

1899 (Netflix)

football forum

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Still only spoilers for Episode 1:

Hide contents

I find it interesting because Scarab is the archetypical symbol of death and resurrection/rebirth in Jungian psychology. And of course in Egyptian mythology originally - which is probably the case here, given the pyramid and triangle shapes literally everywhere. Both ship names are also from Greek mythology. It has to be highly symbolic...

Did you know that from the top of your head? Seems like a very specific type of trivia. Maybe I'm too dumb for the show. 

🥲xD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched three more episodes of this tonight, which for my standards, is extremely bingey. I just couldn't get enough of it, and had to continue. xD Absolutely brilliant stuff! And I just know it's just going to get even better and more mindblowing. 

It really reminds me of Lost again, with all the backstories of the characters before they got to the ship (instead of the Island). 

And yea, it's obvious that the boy is the guy who keeps clinging on to Maura. I just wonder who that guy is. He seems to be from the future? With his advanced tools etc. 

Anyway, Olek and Jerome are my favourite characters so far!

Also, when they chucked the Boy overboard and he just fucking re-spawned made me laugh out loud. Expected though. xD

• Subscriber

I just finished watching it all (well, Season 1, that is).

Non-spoiler review: I really liked it. I think it's not as good and captivating as Dark was (it's impossible to improve the masterpiece, after all), but it's still damn good and it deals with interesting topics and concepts. I also think that it will be easier to follow for most people, compared to Dark - at least for now.

Spoilers for the whole Season 1 - PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ALL 8 EPISODES

It was pretty predictable from very early on that the whole thing is a simulation, and I was kinda disappointed about it, until the end of the last episode. Definitely didn't expect that ending, and also didn't expect the main villain to shift from Maura's father to Maura and then finally to Maura's brother within minutes 

😅 and then waking up from the simulation in that spaceship... Granted, I still think it's another layer of the same simulation, but I certainly didn't expect that! This looks and feels like a mix of Dark, Lost, Inception and Matrix at this moment.

On 19/11/2022 at 00:50, nudge said:

I just finished watching it all (well, Season 1, that is).

Non-spoiler review: I really liked it. I think it's not as good and captivating as Dark was (it's impossible to improve the masterpiece, after all), but it's still damn good and it deals with interesting topics and concepts. I also think that it will be easier to follow for most people, compared to Dark - at least for now.

Spoilers for the whole Season 1 - PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ALL 8 EPISODES

Hide contents

It was pretty predictable from very early on that the whole thing is a simulation, and I was kinda disappointed about it, until the end of the last episode. Definitely didn't expect that ending, and also didn't expect the main villain to shift from Maura's father to Maura and then finally to Maura's brother within minutes 

😅 and then waking up from the simulation in that spaceship... Granted, I still think it's another layer of the same simulation, but I certainly didn't expect that! This looks and feels like a mix of Dark, Lost, Inception and Matrix at this moment.

I agree with everything you said. Very entertaining, but nowhere near Dark. 

And I definitely felt the Dark, Lost, Matrix and especially Inception vibes too. You can tell where the influences came from. 

And yea, the only surprises to me where that Daniel was Maura's husband and the boy was her son. And of course the shift of villains towards the end. Also surprised that they got a pretty high caliber actor to play Maura's father. I remember him from Game of Thrones. 

The ending makes me look forward to Season 2 though. 

But kind of a letdown that I expected something as complex and confusing as Dark, and it wasn't at all that.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I agree with everything you said. Very entertaining, but nowhere near Dark. 

Hide contents

And I definitely felt the Dark, Lost, Matrix and especially Inception vibes too. You can tell where the influences came from. 

And yea, the only surprises to me where that Daniel was Maura's husband and the boy was her son. And of course the shift of villains towards the end. Also surprised that they got a pretty high caliber actor to play Maura's father. I remember him from Game of Thrones. 

The ending makes me look forward to Season 2 though. 

But kind of a letdown that I expected something as complex and confusing as Dark, and it wasn't at all that.

I'm sure the complexity will hit in Season 2 and there will be many more twists coming. There's no way the show creators only came up with the idea of it being a simulation, make it obvious early in the season, and that's it. I mean, we don't really even know anything. Why are those particular people in a simulation? What are everyone's goals? Why did Maura's brother take over the simulation and corrupt it? How many levels are there? Who is real and who is not? Is Elliot alive? Etc etc etc. There are plenty unknowns, and two more seasons to explore it all...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

I'm sure the complexity will hit in Season 2 and there will be many more twists coming. There's no way the show creators only came up with the idea of it being a simulation, make it obvious early in the season, and that's it. I mean, we don't really even know anything. Why are those particular people in a simulation? What are everyone's goals? Why did Maura's brother take over the simulation and corrupt it? How many levels are there? Who is real and who is not? Is Elliot alive? Etc etc etc. There are plenty unknowns, and two more seasons to explore it all...

Yea, true.

I just hope that Season 1 didn't put off too many people who expected more, so that the viewership for Season 2 will suffer. 

But yea, I'm curious about all those things. The characters' flashbacks really reminded me of Lost, and how Jacob brought them all to the island because they were flawed. 

Also I need the Olek backstory we've never had! I mean we saw glimpses. There was this photo of New york near that farm or what it was. There was blood. 🤔

Just now, nudge said:

Oh and

Hide contents

the actor playing Maura's father also plays the ISB chief in Andor

:D

Ah fuck yea. Of course. I already wanted to mention it in the Andor topic that I remember him from Game of Thrones. Busy man. 

xD

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, true.

Hide contents

I just hope that Season 1 didn't put off too many people who expected more, so that the viewership for Season 2 will suffer. 

But yea, I'm curious about all those things. The characters' flashbacks really reminded me of Lost, and how Jacob brought them all to the island because they were flawed. 

Also I need the Olek backstory we've never had! I mean we saw glimpses. There was this photo of New york near that farm or what it was. There was blood. 🤔

Regarding Olek: it's seems like one of the main themes of the show is that pretty much everyone on the "ship" simulator is pretending to be someone they are not, and have done/experienced some pretty horrible things in the past, suffering from psychological trauma as a result. My personal theory is that it's also the reason why they are in the simulator in the first place - either to forget their realities, or to overcome trauma by dealing with it in a virtual environment. So I think Olek is not going to be an exception, and the blood in "his area" seems to suggest it, too. Now, parts of all that look like planted false memories (as confirmed in Maura's case), but I think it's just the details that are changed, while the emotional significance and impact of the past experiences remain the same.

Just now, nudge said:

Hide contents

Regarding Olek: it's seems like one of the main themes of the show is that pretty much everyone on the "ship" simulator is pretending to be someone they are not, and have done/experienced some pretty horrible things in the past, suffering from psychological trauma as a result. My personal theory is that it's also the reason why they are in the simulator in the first place - either to forget their realities, or to overcome trauma by dealing with it in a virtual environment. So I think Olek is not going to be an exception, and the blood in "his area" seems to suggest it, too. Now, parts of all that look like planted false memories (as confirmed in Maura's case), but I think it's just the details that are changed, while the emotional significance and impact of the past experiences remain the same.

That reminds me of that Inception scene again, where there is a hall full of dreamers and Tom Hardy's character asks: "They come here every day to sleep?" and that old man who manages it says: "No, they come to be woken up. Their dream has become their reality. Who are you to say otherwise?" 

😅

So yea, that's a very good and logical theory. Now I want to see Season 2 asap. :(:D 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hide contents

That reminds me of that Inception scene again, where there is a hall full of dreamers and Tom Hardy's character asks: "They come here every day to sleep?" and that old man who manages it says: "No, they come to be woken up. Their dream has become their reality. Who are you to say otherwise?" 

😅

So yea, that's a very good and logical theory. Now I want to see Season 2 asap. :(:D 

Yeah, and then there was this one scene in I-don't-know-which-episode, where Maura and Eyk talked about both of them experiencing their memories like dreams, but  not being sure which one of them is dreaming. Which, in turn, was probably inspired by a Taoist text "Zhuang Zhou Dreams of Being a Butterfly", which is basically a short story about a man called Zhuang who dreamed he was a butterfly, then woke up, and started pondering if it was Zhuang who dreamt that he was a butterfly, or if it was the butterfly dreaming that he was Zhuang... Fits well with the questions the show is asking about different realities, too.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Fuck you, Netflix. Another interesting, unconventional show cancelled. 

Ah for fucks sake. Netflix needs more overrated American shit apparently. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ah for fucks sake. Netflix needs more overrated American shit apparently. 

If they hadn't renewed The Sandman, I would have canceled my subscription already. Lately, it's been very hard to find gems in all the shite that they've been releasing.

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

If they hadn't renewed The Sandman, I would have canceled my subscription already. Lately, it's been very hard to find gems in all the shite that they've been releasing.

It's really sad that new never get to see how the 1899 story ends now. The 1st season felt just like the beginning of something greater. I hope there will be some kind of outcry or protest, that makes Netflix change their mind, but I doubt it. Shame. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

It's really sad that new never get to see how the 1899 story ends now. The 1st season felt just like the beginning of something greater. I hope there will be some kind of outcry or protest, that makes Netflix change their mind, but I doubt it. Shame. 

The only chance is the show getting picked up by some other network, but even that is unlikely. I think the only TV series that managed to do that in recent times was The Expanse when they got picked up by Amazon after Syfy canceled it. And then Amazon ended it prematurely, too 🙄

Archived