talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PSG 0-1 Bayern Munich - Sunday 23rd August, 2020 - FINAL

• Administrator

270px-Paris_Saint-Germain_F.C..svg.png     VS     270px-FC_Bayern_M%C3%BCnchen_logo_(2017)

Kick-off 20.00 (BST)

Venue - Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul

Route to the Final - PSG
Group A Winners
Round of 16 - Borussia Dortmund - 3-2 on aggregate
Quarter-Final - Atalanta - 2-1
Semi-Final - RB Leipzig - 3-0

Top Goalscorer - Mauro Icardi/Kylian Mbappe (5)

Route to the Final - Bayern Munich 
Group B Winners
Round of 16 - Chelsea - 7-1 on aggregate
Quarter-Final - Barcelona - 8-2
Semi-Final - Lyon - 3-0

Top Goalscorer - Robert Lewandowski (15)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of twitter, I'm seeing some wild stuff about Neymar being the best Brazilian footballer since Pelé @El Profesor

It's odd that all this praise comes after a CL campaign that is not all that by PSG. They were clear favourites in every game they've disputed and it's far from being a case of "Neymar took PSG to a CL final". I'm not arguing he didn't have a very good season, I just don't see the massive accomplishment here that grants him the upper hand in comparisons to his countrymen of the past, especially the 2002 WC winning class that seems to be mentioned a lot.

2 hours ago, Machado said:

Speaking of twitter, I'm seeing some wild stuff about Neymar being the best Brazilian footballer since Pelé @El Profesor

It's odd that all this praise comes after a CL campaign that is not all that by PSG. They were clear favourites in every game they've disputed and it's far from being a case of "Neymar took PSG to a CL final". I'm not arguing he didn't have a very good season, I just don't see the massive accomplishment here that grants him the upper hand in comparisons to his countrymen of the past, especially the 2002 WC winning class that seems to be mentioned a lot.

This is a hot topic in Brazil. There's no consensus where to rank Neymar in the history of brazilian football. 

I don't really have an opinion, I think it's really tough to compare players from different eras.

The way I see, he has two things going for him that put him in the discussion: 1 is longevity, he's been the best Brazilian player since 2010, when he became an undisputed starter and Santos began to win major titles with him leading that team.

The other reason is social networks. I can only imagine how big of a celebrity a young Ronaldo would've been with social networks at his peak during the 90s. I mean, he was and still is a huge celebrity but his influence was limited to the technologies available at the time of his peak. And this definitely impacts the way Neymar is viewed. 

Neymar is hugely influential in Brazil and he uses social media in a really clever way to engage fans. 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

It probably will with how much of a farce this year's CL has been.

A CL final played in front of no fans with one club owned by a nation state with youtube the only free way to watch. Welcome to the future!

For someone who hates the CL so much you sure do comment about it a lot xD 

7 hours ago, El Profesor said:

This is a hot topic in Brazil. There's no consensus where to rank Neymar in the history of brazilian football. 

I don't really have an opinion, I think it's really tough to compare players from different eras.

The way I see, he has two things going for him that put him in the discussion: 1 is longevity, he's been the best Brazilian player since 2010, when he became an undisputed starter and Santos began to win major titles with him leading that team.

The other reason is social networks. I can only imagine how big of a celebrity a young Ronaldo would've been with social networks at his peak during the 90s. I mean, he was and still is a huge celebrity but his influence was limited to the technologies available at the time of his peak. And this definitely impacts the way Neymar is viewed. 

Neymar is hugely influential in Brazil and he uses social media in a really clever way to engage fans. 

You make some very good points regarding social media, it is a medium which can really boost the reputation of a player. It provides star players with access to a much larger audience. I also agree that it is generally hard to compare players of different eras, especially when we are comparing Pele to Neymar for example. Football has changed immensely between the eras of these two players.

I think that Neymar's reputation in the past for diving and play acting hasn't endeared him to the football purists. But ability wise, he is awesome to watch with his superb dribbling and influence on the teams he plays for, a wonder to behold. He might not  be the best ever Brazilian player, as Pele and Ronaldo might have something to say about that. But he is certainly up there among the top 5 best Brazilian footballers ever, I would say.

2 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

A CL final played in front of no fans with one club owned by a nation state with youtube the only free way to watch. Welcome to the future!

[Insert Baby crying gif}

3 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

You need to try harder. It’s just boring now.

• The title was changed to PSG 0-1 Bayern Munich - Sunday 23rd August, 2020 - FINAL
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived