talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PSG 0-1 Bayern Munich - Sunday 23rd August, 2020 - FINAL

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have just spent most of today recovering from a hangover, after celebrating and watching that final yesterday. 

I thought it was a very intriguing match. What a call it was from Flick to name Kingsley Coman ahead of Perisic in the starting line-up and for the young French winger to score the winning goal against his former club. Coman was also the official man of the match and he bamboozled the PSG defence for most of the night when he was attacking down that left flank. It was a superb performance by him and Flick deserves a lot of credit for starting him and for making Bayern Munich such a formidable side.  

Bayern dictated most of the play and I feel the battle was won in midfield. I really couldn't fault the defences of both these sides yesterday, as I thought that both Bayern's and PSG's defenders had a very good game. Tackles and blocks were constantly flying in and the competitiveness was immense, both sides gave everything. PSG tried to get their talented forwards on the ball as much as possible, but they failed to find the back of the net in large part to the magnificent Manuel Neuer.

Di Maria had a powerful effort fly just over the bar in the 1st half, but Neuer had it covered. Neymar also had a shot superbly saved by Neuer after he was put through by Mbappe. We can't really blame Neymar for not scoring, as he struck the shot very well, while Alaba was pressuring him and breathing down his neck. It's just that Neuer came up with a super save. Then there was also Mbappe's effort after a rare poor pass by Alaba gifted PSG a big chance. However, after receiving the poor pass from Alaba, Mbappe played a one two with Herrera, but then Mbappe shot straight at Neuer. 

Bayern themselves had a couple of huge chances to score through Lewandowski. First there was Lewandowski's lovely swivel and shot that came off the post. After that there was also Lewandowski's  point-blank header, that was excellently saved by Navas. Coman also had claims for a penalty after he was man-handled and brought down by Kehrer, after Coman had beaten him for pace and got past him.

In the second half, after Coman scored his accurate header from Kimmich's cross, I thought that Bayern's dominance increased. That goal really seemed to lift them and they appeared to be attacking more intensively than before. Their pressure and pressing in midfield was intense as ever and it really was something to marvel at. Coman was a constant threat down the left wing, using his pace to race past the defenders and put in dangerous crosses. He had a dangerous cross aimed at Lewandowski, cleared superbly by Kimpembe. Had he not cleared the ball, it most certainly would have meant a goal for Lewandowski. After that Coman had a powerful cross shot cleared by Thiago Silva.

Marquinhos then had PSG's biggest chance of the 2nd half when his close range shot from Di Maria's cross, was again excellently blocked by Neuer. Coutinho had a long range free-kick go narrowly wide when he came on and both Bayern and PSG would have further penalty claims after Mbappe and Lewandowski were both seemingly brought down in the area. However the officials didn't deem the incidents to be fouls.

But as I have said, I think Bayern won the midfield battle and their intensity with their pressing allowed them to assert their authority for most of the match. With PSG relying mainly on clever counter attacks to threaten Bayern. 

So Bayern Munich win the treble, what an achievement it has been for them. They have also won every single game in this season's Champions League and they scored a whopping 43 goals in 11 Champions League matches. Lewandowski finished as the top scorer of the Champions League with 15 goals. These dominant stats kind of sum up what has been a thoroughly impressive season for Bayern.

It will take a lot for a team to snatch the Champions League trophy away from Bayern next season, that's for sure. They are a team who are performing at the highest level and they have a squad with a lot of depth. I can see them dominating in Europe for years, with the current crop of players that they have.

On 24/08/2020 at 02:50, El Profesor said:

To be honest, I think Toko Ekambi alone caused more problems for Bayern's defence than Di María, Neymar and Mbappé together. Who would've guessed? 

You bring a very good point regarding the midfield. 

For a team that has spent so much money, PSG's midfield depth is just horrible. They have no replacement to Verratti. 

In my opinion, PSG is a terribly managed club. They have an insane ammount of talent in their youth squads, yet most of those young players get very few chances in the profissional team. No wonder Kouassi chose Bayern over PSG. 

I don't think that PSG's midfield depth is horrible. They have players like Paredes, Verratti, Herrera, Draxler and Sarabia who are all very good at creating chances. Then they have the more defensive midfielders like Marquinhos and Gueye. For the formation that they play, these players fit in well I think. They are quality players, just perhaps not at the quality of Bayern's midfield, which is no shame for the PSG midfielders. Remember this is the same PSG team that destroyed Real Madrid 3-0 this season(and they did so without Mbappe and Neymar!). As world class and as excellent as Mbappe and Neymar are, PSG are still a very strong team even without their 2 star names.

Lets not take anything away from PSG's season as they performed superbly in many matches this term. They just came up against the very best side in Europe when they played Bayern.

On 24/08/2020 at 16:44, MUFC said:

Liverpool vs Bayern would have been a good final.

Liverpool Saw a slight dip in form early in the year. They started dropping points in the premier league and then faced Atlético during this spill. Perhaps it was due to fatigue. Playing 2 finals plus domestically and participating in the club World Cup. 

I don’t know if Bayern can maintain the intense pressure style of playing for another season. Plus losing Thiago/perisic/Coutinho will create gaps (and opportunity) for their reserves to fill a la Davies. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived