Footballers Who Have Stolen A Living

football forum

• The title was changed to Footballers Who Have Stolen A Living
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
23 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Our son has never forgiven him for moving to Man City from his beloved Liverpool, Raheem Sterling, he calls him a traitor. xD 

I wouldn't say Sterling is stealing a living though? 

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Our son has never forgiven him for moving to Man City from his beloved Liverpool, Raheem Sterling, he calls him a traitor. xD 

25 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Tell my son that, he hates him :D

Is your son @Dr. Gonzo?

Anyway, hating a player doesn't mean they're stealing a living. 

Take your pick from any given Rovers XI. 

The Richard Wright at Man City thing got me thinking - Steve Harper? Was for many years, and may still be, the most named Premier League subsitute. Legend or fraud @Harvsky?

1 hour ago, tlr said:

Take your pick from any given Rovers XI. 

The Richard Wright at Man City thing got me thinking - Steve Harper? Was for many years, and may still be, the most named Premier League subsitute. Legend or fraud @Harvsky?

He'll never be considered a fraud by Newcastle fans. The thought is basically that he sacrificed his career to be on our bench. He turned down the chance to be first team keeper at other Premier League clubs. He was eventually our #1 after waiting a long time but by then he was about 33 and by the time he was 35/36 he played like he had arthritis.

Maybe if he took a risk and went somewhere else he'd have had his time at the top then fallen as most keepers do. Rather than always being around the Premier League.

Adam Lallana came in injured and was pretty much the definition of mediocre when he did play. He's continued this cycle of crap-injured-crap-injured throughout his career apart from a purple patch of about three months in 16/17, which he somehow parlayed into a second bumper contract at Liverpool. There are players you can legitimately say have been unlucky with injuries, but this guy's stock wouldn't be anywhere near where it is if people had actually seen him play football more often.

Is it too early to add Kepa to the list? He's awful

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 21/08/2020 at 20:52, Burning Gold said:

Adam Lallana came in injured and was pretty much the definition of mediocre when he did play. He's continued this cycle of crap-injured-crap-injured throughout his career apart from a purple patch of about three months in 16/17, which he somehow parlayed into a second bumper contract at Liverpool. There are players you can legitimately say have been unlucky with injuries, but this guy's stock wouldn't be anywhere near where it is if people had actually seen him play football more often.

Is it too early to add Kepa to the list? He's awful

He looked decent when he used to get a run of games.

• Subscriber

It's a tough one this as most of the players mentioned played or are playing in one of the best leagues in the world. To reach that pinnacle, even if their prime is only a handful of games, deserves respect. I don't agree with a lot of the names mentioned to be honest. Phil Jones, Adam Lallana etc.... they are far from stealing a living.

If Phil Jones left United just like Smalling did, he would be a success..... again. Just like his Blackburn days and also like parts of his time at United.

Adam Lallana has had some brilliant moments in his career, far from stealing a living.

Only name off the top of my head where you can say..... yeah he definitely stole a living is.......... Ali Dia.

• Subscriber

I forgot about this guy who United had high hopes for when he arrived, Nani, but he never hit it big with Man United and now has fizzled out doing his stints around the Globe, Sporting FC > Man United > Sporting FC (loan) > Fenerbahçe > Valencia > Lazio (Loan) > Sporting FC and now at Orlando City.

If he could have been like another United player who never hit it off under SAF was Diego Forlán, this is 'One that got away' for me and success followed him after he left, loved the guy when he was playing for United but trying to compete with the likes of Ruud Van, Andy Cole, Dwight York and Ole Gunnar (super sub) upfront he never had a chance and did not fit in the way SAF wanted him to play.

Nani did and still is stealing a living but good luck to the guy but he would never beat ex-United Ravel Morrison who is at his 12th club and still playing.

I got to be honest, I don't think a lot of the shouts are really that fair or valid. A couple I'd agree with tops.

Perhaps someone hasn't done well at one particular club but I'd say it's harsh to label them with this 'stealing a living' tag when they have had success elsewhere.

When I think of 'stealing a living', I think of a player that's not achieved much and yet still got moves.

Nile Ranger was the biggest qaste of space along with Ravel Morrison. Never seemed to settle anywhere and forever in trouble. Neither achieved anything in the game.

Jamie O'Hara is a classic example of one too. Never bought into the initial hype around him from Spurs just because they were struggling to produce any decent talent at the time, so they clutched at straws with him. He only went from club to club achieving nothing in the end. Infact, he's only famous for shagging a Z List bird that's been round the block if truth be told.

Jack Rodwell is another. Always injured and yet still clubs want to take a chance on him. Gid know what he has cost in transfer fee's and wages in total. I was genuinely shocked to hear he was at Sheffield United currently, rotting away in their reserves which says a lot of how much they trust him to come in and do a job when you consider how well they are currently doing.

19 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I forgot about this guy who United had high hopes for when he arrived, Nani, but he never hit it big with Man United and now has fizzled out doing his stints around the Globe, Sporting FC > Man United > Sporting FC (loan) > Fenerbahçe > Valencia > Lazio (Loan) > Sporting FC and now at Orlando City.

If he could have been like another United player who never hit it off under SAF was Diego Forlán, this is 'One that got away' for me and success followed him after he left, loved the guy when he was playing for United but trying to compete with the likes of Ruud Van, Andy Cole, Dwight York and Ole Gunnar (super sub) upfront he never had a chance and did not fit in the way SAF wanted him to play.

Nani did and still is stealing a living but good luck to the guy but he would never beat ex-United Ravel Morrison who is at his 12th club and still playing.

I’m really not sure if you get what stealing a living means. Nani while not ever at the same height of Ronaldo at United, won four Premier League titles, two League Cups and a Champions League, keeping them in the shootout vs Chelsea, if memory serves. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m really not sure if you get what stealing a living means. Nani while not ever at the same height of Ronaldo at United, won four Premier League titles, two League Cups and a Champions League, keeping them in the shootout vs Chelsea, if memory serves. 

United Player of the year 2011. 

PFA Team of the year 2011.

15+ trophies in his career.

100+ International caps. With a goal every 5 games or so.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from stealing or stole a living like  the vast majority of names mentioned in this topic. 

• Subscriber

Then I have misread the meaning of the title of the thread but Nani's was in a team that won him 4 league titles and the rest during that time he was just average game-wise and he criticised SAF saying Fergie had no confidence in him, a lot of his games was as a substitute and maybe a few injuries was a cause but Fergie had enough and put him out on loan.

Nanis biggest fault was when Ronaldo left he was meant to step into Ronaldo's place, but, to me, he tried to showboat and copy Ronaldo's skills and that was his biggest downfall's, on his day he could be good but a lot of the times he was just an average player in a good team, that's my opinion only and others may differ.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Then I have misread the meaning of the title of the thread but Nani's was in a team that won him 4 league titles and the rest during that time he was just average game-wise and he criticised SAF saying Fergie had no confidence in him, a lot of his games was as a substitute and maybe a few injuries was a cause but Fergie had enough and put him out on loan.

Nanis biggest fault was when Ronaldo left he was meant to step into Ronaldo's place, but, to me, he tried to showboat and copy Ronaldo's skills and that was his biggest downfall's, on his day he could be good but a lot of the times he was just an average player in a good team, that's my opinion only and others may differ.

He definitely didn't live up to the ridiculous hype. But that hype was way too unrealistic, and he was never going to replace Ronaldo. 

Nani averaged a goal or an assist every 2 games whilst at United. Pretty good if you ask me ;)

Archived