talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thiago Silva - Chelsea Contract Extended

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

You know I don't watch him every week but from what I've seen of him over the years is that he isn't all that he's made out to be.

Could have watched his bad games exclusively!

3 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

You know I don't watch him every week but from what I've seen of him over the years is that he isn't all that he's made out to be.

He is. I'd put him up there with Sergio Ramos, Godín and Piqué as one of the best defenders of his generation. 

The criticism he gets in Brazil and France especially is from a different nature. He's got that image of him crying at the Brazil Chile match in 2014 stuck to him and many say he's weak mentally. 

I don't think this is a totally fair criticism, since the whole 2014 brazilian squad was a mess and he was great in 2018.

Having said that, I'm not sure if a move to the Premier League at his age (he will be 36 in september) is a good idea. 

Fiorentina would be a safer destination.

5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

He is. I'd put him up there with Sergio Ramos, Godín and Piqué as one of the best defenders of his generation. 

The criticism he gets in Brazil and France especially is from a different nature. He's got that image of him crying at the Brazil Chile match in 2014 stuck to him and many say he's weak mentally. 

I don't think this is a totally fair criticism, since the whole 2014 brazilian squad was a mess and he was great in 2018.

Having said that, I'm not sure if a move to the Premier League at his age (he will be 36 in september) is a good idea. 

Fiorentina would be a safer destination.

Your opinion is probably worth more than mine mate.

From what I’ve seen of them though, I’ve never been that impressed and to put him in the same bracket as Ramos and Godín for example for me is a big statement.

Best central defenders of the decade off the top of my head (at their peak, I don't want to hear about how X was shit last season)

VVD
Kompany 
Vidic
Chiellini 
Godin

I'd place Dante at his peak (lol) and frikkin Hummels whom I hate above Pique or Ramos in terms of defending. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Best central defenders of the decade off the top of my head (at their peak, I don't want to hear about how X was shit last season)

VVD
Kompany 
Vidic
Chiellini 
Godin

I'd place Dante at his peak (lol) and frikkin Hummels whom I hate above Pique or Ramos in terms of defending. 

Your right but I’d still pick Ramos first because he is a winner, a fucken beast of a player that just smashes cunts. Vidic was shit this decade, he peaked in 00s you madman

Just now, Spike said:

Your right but I’d still pick Ramos first because he is a winner, a fucken beast of a player that just smashes cunts. Vidic was shit this decade, he peaked in 00s you madman

I'd take an uninjured 2010/11 Vidic over any cunt not on that list

This is a level of defensing not possible today

xD

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'd take an uninjured 2010/11 Vidic over any cunt not on that list

This is a level of defensing not possible today

xD

Look at my signature ya daft punk, the little egyptian prince was brought to tears because he couldn’t handle the andalusian bull

Thiago Silva

Leonardo Bonucci

Diego Godin

Virgil Van Dijk

Giorgio Chiellini

Sergio Ramos

Pique

Also an honourable mention to Demichelis. He's definitely not one of the best this decade but I thought he got unfair slack as he did have the best world cup I've seen from a CB. He was also quite good at City when it mattered at the end of the season.

I don't think it's necessarily a *bad* idea from Chelsea. For a season he would help plug a gap, his experience obviously cannot be questioned but you do wonder whether the pace/intensity may catch up with him in the Premier League.

The only weird thing I find with this particular target is that Chelsea seem to have gone down the road of planning for the future. Players who are young and approaching their peak years to take the team forward 3/4 years on. And this obviously isn't that.

Centre back is obviously a weak position of theirs, I would have thought it would have been high priority and they may have tried to bring in someone around the same age as the players they had been signing, maybe 23/24, and say right, he is our centre back for the next 3 to 5 years.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I don't think it's necessarily a *bad* idea from Chelsea. For a season he would help plug a gap, his experience obviously cannot be questioned but you do wonder whether the pace/intensity may catch up with him in the Premier League.

The only weird thing I find with this particular target is that Chelsea seem to have gone down the road of planning for the future. Players who are young and approaching their peak years to take the team forward 3/4 years on. And this obviously isn't that.

Centre back is obviously a weak position of theirs, I would have thought it would have been high priority and they may have tried to bring in someone around the same age as the players they had been signing, maybe 23/24, and say right, he is our centre back for the next 3 to 5 years.

Although I agree about him being a possible a temporary gap filler with experience I also agree about the pace of the league and him being at the wrong end of the age bracket, One can only assume he would be used sparingly throughout the season.. We seem to be going from one extreme to the other here, either they are very young or we are going for much older players with nothing in between.. We would probably be better off going for players with experience around the 27/29 bracket so we can have a couple of seasons to settle on a decent back line without throwing away goals on a regular basis.. 

Having said that, with the level of fitness required in the game these days he could work out fine, that's if he is indeed going to be arriving.. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

1-Year deal according to Sky 

35 years old, almost zero pace. Will bring leadership and wisdom to the young dressing room though I've no doubt. Pro's outweigh the cons.

• The title was changed to Thiago Silva - Chelsea Contract Extended

Archived