talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Single-Game Format To Be Considered by UEFA

football forum

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53882384

Uefa might consider revisiting the single-game knockout format in future seasons following its incorporation in this season's Champions League.

Football's suspension during the Covid-19 pandemic resulted in a revision of the club competition's format in order that it could be completed at all.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said: "We were forced to do it but in the end we see that we found out something new.

"So we will think about it in the future for sure."

Both the final stages of the Champions League and Europa League - from the quarter-finals onwards - were held at neutral venues over a two-week period in August.

There were thrilling climaxes in the Champions League quarter-finals involving Manchester City and Lyon, Paris St-Germain and Atalanta, and in RB Leipzig's win over Atletico Madrid. And in the most eagerly awaited match, Bayern Munich trounced Barcelona 8-2.

Ceferin believes games have been less cautious and teams have been forced to go for goals because there have not been second legs.

He added: "If it is one match, if one team scores then the other has to score as soon as possible. If it is two-legged system then there is still time to win the next match.

"But of course we also have to think about the fact that we have less matches and broadcasters say 'you don't have as many matches as before, this is different' - so we will have to discuss when this crazy situation ends."

The current format cannot be changed until 2024-25, although discussions are expected to begin later this year on the structure for the competition in that next phase.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I have enjoyed the one legged ties a lot to be honest but I do think they'll stop with them. I don't think they'll continue because they have already agreed a new format from either 2022 or 2023 anyway. I can't see them abolishing that.

It's been good though, there's hardly been a bad game.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dan said:

I have enjoyed the one legged ties a lot to be honest but I do think they'll stop with them. I don't think they'll continue because they have already agreed a new format from either 2022 or 2023 anyway. I can't see them abolishing that.

It's been good though, there's hardly been a bad game.

Any single-game format can't come in until 2024-25 season at the very earliest anyway.

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Would devalue the Champions League. You could have a lucky one off game. That's no way to determine who is the best.

Upsets have happen over 2 games, unless you truly think a mid table  French team is better than the Italian Champions

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Single game formats would improve the matches, No more sitting back and just going for the odd away goal, It would be all or nothing in a one off with no holding back from either side

This is my thinking as well. I understand the logic behind fans wanting more games, but I'd rather have each game matter and less 0-0 draws. 

It'd also mean less games for the players, and likely fewer injuries, which would certainly improve the game. 

Just now, Eco said:

This is my thinking as well. I understand the logic behind fans wanting more games, but I'd rather have each game matter and less 0-0 draws. 

It'd also mean less games for the players, and likely fewer injuries, which would certainly improve the game. 

The only downside for fans would be travelling to venues and getting tickets.. At least if you are playing at home there is a decent chance you will get to see it even if you couldn't make the away leg.. 

The A-League and MLS fans already complain enough about this whole playoff concept being only 1 game. While the bests often win those anyway, there is still often a lot of undeserved finalists. The only positive I could take away from this is less games and a less congested fixture list, which I agree does improve the game. 

However, a lot of people already complain about how winning a CL is easier than a league, and that would certainly help that agenda with 1 legged ties. Why I don't agree with it, would devalue the competition. 

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

The A-League and MLS fans already complain enough about this whole playoff concept being only 1 game. While the bests often win those anyway, there is still often a lot of undeserved finalists. The only positive I could take away from this is less games and a less congested fixture list, which I agree does improve the game. 

However, a lot of people already complain about how winning a CL is easier than a league, and that would certainly help that agenda with 1 legged ties. Why I don't agree with it, would devalue the competition. 

Please stop assuming the voices of Twitter and Facebook are the real voices of fans, they are only a small portion. 

Just now, Eco said:

Please stop assuming the voices of Twitter and Facebook are the real voices of fans, they are only a small portion. 

If they are a "small portion", then I can't imagine how small this forum would be!

I also think the 1 legged MLS matches are stupid. Seattle vs Toronto were NOT the best 2 teams last year. Similar to how Melbourne Victory vs Newcastle Jets wasn't the strongest sides. You'd just get weaker teams trying to shithouse a win. I'm not against weaker teams winning mind you, but it's not the best way to determine a champion.

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Disagree with single games are bound to improve the matches, in international competitions cagey snore fest games being decided by penalties are pretty common

Completely. If you are "sitting back for an away goal" in 2 legged matches, you'd now sit back hoping to get a 1-0 shithouse win. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Completely. If you are "sitting back for an away goal" in 2 legged matches, you'd now sit back hoping to get a 1-0 shithouse win. 

Much more riskier to do that though. You can get away with it in a 2-legged match.

11 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Why is it undeserved? Surely they do enough throughout the season and then they win the game (the whole point of a football match) to get through to a final.

Just because they might not necessarily play well in a play-off game, doesn't always make it less deserved. 

Less congestion in an already compacted fixture calendar is a good thing.  

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

If they are a "small portion", then I can't imagine how small this forum would be!

I also think the 1 legged MLS matches are stupid. Seattle vs Toronto were NOT the best 2 teams last year. Similar to how Melbourne Victory vs Newcastle Jets wasn't the strongest sides. You'd just get weaker teams trying to shithouse a win. I'm not against weaker teams winning mind you, but it's not the best way to determine a champion.

What are you talking about? I'd wager that 70% - 80% of the Season ticket holders in my section, are not active on Facebook or Twitter. I'm not sure how your twitter experience relates to the amount of MLS fans on this forum? That one doesn't compute. 

Will 1 legged affairs be boring? Sure, some will be. 

Well they bring more excitement? I do, it'd be like ever second leg we have seen where leg one was 0-0, so I'm not sure what's wrong there. 

Will teams sit back and try for PK's? Certainly, but just one goal and the game is changed. Plus, the misconception is that we had a lot of this in the World Cup,, but we had 1 in the  2018 World Cup (France vs Denmark), and just 6 in 2014, 4 of which were in the Group Stages and thus ended in draws, and the other two coming in the tournament. 

So, over the past 2 world cups, we have had 128 games, and a total of 7,  0-0 draws....or less than 1% 

So while @Azeem may be thinking of different tournaments, on the biggest stage in the world, we have seen less than 1% of games end normal regulation at 0-0. 

15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The only downside for fans would be travelling to venues and getting tickets.. At least if you are playing at home there is a decent chance you will get to see it even if you couldn't make the away leg.. 

It think it would be a sad development if more club games will be played at neutral stadiums. The games should be played in the cities of the teams. That is an integral part of the game for me.

Just now, Eco said:

What are you talking about? I'd wager that 70% - 80% of the Season ticket holders in my section, are not active on Facebook or Twitter. I'm not sure how your twitter experience relates to the amount of MLS fans on this forum? That one doesn't compute. 

Will 1 legged affairs be boring? Sure, some will be. 

Well they bring more excitement? I do, it'd be like ever second leg we have seen where leg one was 0-0, so I'm not sure what's wrong there. 

Will teams sit back and try for PK's? Certainly, but just one goal and the game is changed. Plus, the misconception is that we had a lot of this in the World Cup,, but we had 1 in the  2018 World Cup (France vs Denmark), and just 6 in 2014, 4 of which were in the Group Stages and thus ended in draws, and the other two coming in the tournament. 

So, over the past 2 world cups, we have had 128 games, and a total of 7,  0-0 draws....or less than 1% 

So while @Azeem may be thinking of different tournaments, on the biggest stage in the world, we have seen less than 1% of games end normal regulation at 0-0. 

It's not about boring. It's about being a better way to determine who is the best. 

There's a lot of things I don't like about American Sports but one thing I do like about them is their best of 4 series. Over potentially 7 games, you know who is the better team. Obviously this can't really fit into football but 2 legged ties are the best way to know.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Relling said:

It think it would be a sad development if more club games will be played at neutral stadiums. The games should be played in the cities of the teams. That is an integral part of the game for me.

Yeah I think it still has to be luck of the draw in who is the home side at their own home ground. 

I really hope UEFA don't go the way of how the Euros have become and it is played across the continent at random venues.

Just now, Mpache said:

It's not about boring. It's about being a better way to determine who is the best. 

There's a lot of things I don't like about American Sports but one thing I do like about them is their best of 4 series. Over potentially 7 games, you know who is the better team. Obviously this can't really fit into football but 2 legged ties are the best way to know.

Yes. the only sports to do this are the ones that can play back-to-back games (MLB, Hockey, NBA)

But again, the biggest sport in this country does not do this style of playoffs (NFL). But it doesn't lessen the legitimacy of the Super Bowl Champions. 

18 minutes ago, Mpache said:

And this is where I presume you referred to boring

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah I think it still has to be luck of the draw in who is the home side at their own home ground. 

I really hope UEFA don't go the way of how the Euros have become and it is played across the continent at random venues.

Well all games would need to be at a neutral ground for it to work or there would be an unfair advantage for the side playing at home which then goes back to what I was saying about fans being able to attend games.. 

Archived