Arsenal - 15 (last won 2017) 
Liverpool - 15 (last won 2006)

Last CS Meeting
Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool (2002)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

One of the main purposes of the Community Shield is to generate income that is then spread across the teams who competed in Round One of the FA Cup and beyond to use on community projects or to give to charities of their choice. Other than the TV revenue, not sure how much they are going to make from this one with no fans.

I think what we can safely conclude from the first half is when Messi arrives, Arsenal will definitely win the league.

I wont say Arsenal are winning against the run of play, because they ended the half well, but for the most part Liverpool have dominated possession and played the game mostly in the Arsenal half.  Interesting to see if Liverpool up it a gear or two at the start of the 2nd, if they can be bothered, kinda get the feeling no one cares about winning whatever cup this is.

• Administrator

Just seen Aubameyang's goal. Nice build up too and lovely finish. Liverpool couldn't get close. 

Saka will be one of the best young players this season for sure. 

This move is a paramount component in Arteta's system, a lot of their goals were scored in similar fashion in the FA Cup run and now today. Beat the opposition press, either through exceptional build up play or through poor pressing from the opposition, play through the pitch and switch play as quickly as possible. As the other team are a little disjointed from their pressing high up the pitch earlier, it gives Arsenal more space and allows them to create an overload on one side of the pitch which this time gives Aubameyang the space to score. Switch of play, overload, space.

Will teams eventually suss it out?

The way the commentator waxed lyrical about that Saka pass for Arsenal's goal, he can't watch football very often.

Arsenal seem to be developing a big game mentality, this is a limited first eleven but Arteta has identified that they have a world class striker who can win them games. Get the team playing to a system, make sure they all sit back and defend when needed and let the system try and get the best out of Auba. This Arsenal board need to deliver for Arteta, this is the appointment that they needed after Wenger left.

We lost the Community Shield on penalties last year following a 1-1 draw and that ended up working out quite decently for us.

Pieces are in place, another Klopp masterclass is en route!

Oh, and Keita has to be starting games whenever possible. It's a non-negotiable at this point for the upcoming season.

Liverpool looked a bit flat today, even if they were unfit. I could be wrong and they might go on and win another title but I think they might be a bit flat this season. They won the Champions League and finished second on 90 something points, following season they stormed the league. There was a bit of flailing towards the end but still done it in good fashion...I think reaching the 90+ point mark 3 seasons in a row might be too much of an ask, especially after the euphoria of finally winning a title. And I think City will be bang up for it this season and so will Chelsea...

Just now, Rick said:

We need fresh legs. It’s as simple as that. You cannot expect these players to maintain these insane levels season after season. 

Funny you say that... I don't think they will be able to maintain it this season either...  Certainly not at the levels they reached last season.. They will be there of course because they are a very good side but I see you coming second this season.. 

58 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

This move is a paramount component in Arteta's system, a lot of their goals were scored in similar fashion in the FA Cup run and now today. Beat the opposition press, either through exceptional build up play or through poor pressing from the opposition, play through the pitch and switch play as quickly as possible. As the other team are a little disjointed from their pressing high up the pitch earlier, it gives Arsenal more space and allows them to create an overload on one side of the pitch which this time gives Aubameyang the space to score. Switch of play, overload, space.

Will teams eventually suss it out?

Beautiful goal. This is what football is all about. I wish them all the best.

Think some of the reactions regarding our performance have been a little overstated (not just on here mind, Twitter is a nightmare for it as well) - although we didn't look great I think I'll properly reserve judgement for when the season properly gets up and running. We don't tend to look great in pre-season regardless, and whenever we return from an absence of some length (thinking back to the warm weather camps we'd get on during the season) we don't look particularly fresh either. I don't think either side looked incredibly sharp but I'll only be concerned if it begins translating into performances when we're playing competitive football.

Oh, and how much better did Minamino look playing off the striker? Suits him a whole lot better than trying to mould him into the Firmino role.

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Funny you say that... I don't think they will be able to maintain it this season either...  Certainly not at the levels they reached last season.. They will be there of course because they are a very good side but I see you coming second this season.. 

I’m confident this squad can go again but it’s not gonna be a forgone conclusion that it was most of last season. Another midfield, centre back and another attacker would be ideal. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’m confident this squad can go again but it’s not gonna be a forgone conclusion that it was most of last season. Another midfield, centre back and another attacker would be ideal. 

I still think you will be able to have a really good season but as you pointed out some good quality additions always help keep that level high and the side competitive or tiredness and a small degree of complacency can creep in...  with your squad it only needs to be small tweaks here and there to keep things fresh

I’m also not too pleased with Klopp’s management of Brewster today. Brings him on with one minute to play, then allows him to take the 3rd penalty. That’s a good recipe for damaging his confidence. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived