talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire Given Suspended Sentence For Assault & Bribery

On 24/08/2020 at 02:02, The Artful Dodger said:

I wouldn't believe anything of what you hear in the press, good or bad. There will be a PR campaign trying to smooth over his reputation, always happens with Manchester United players. Does anyone remember Ryan Giggs punching his girlfriend in the 1990s? No they don't, they've got the best PR machine in football. Giggs is as odious as John Terry but seems to have gotten away with it.

Yep looks like that was clearly bullshit

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, God is Haaland said:

What will the punishment be? A 5 year contract extension at Manure?

Also: Why did he try to avoid going to court? Shit at defending?

Because you're allowed to in Greece. Hence why he was able to fly home because he pleaded not guilty. 

He's been given a suspended sentence of 21 months. 

So just has to avoid going to Greece or any of their islands for 2 years pretty much. 

We don't know the full story so very hard to judge. Not going to stick up for him exactly but it does feel like there are gaps in the stories and something smells a bit off about it all given Maguire has always come across a fairly upstanding bloke. But when alcohol is involved, these things escalate fast.

That being said, Maguire is captain of his club. He plays for his country. He is in the public eye. He has a responsibility to acknowledge that. Being in amongst a group of lads without protection of minders or whatever is going to attract trouble, especially if others don't control themselves.

He should be wise enough by now to know there are certain places or situations you do not put yourself into as a famous person. That's where he went wrong.

Asking for trouble and unfortunately for him, it's found him. Looks a bit of a tit now and he'll get some flack no doubt, probably even lose a bit of respect from others.

But he will be back, he's made a mistake, we all have.

Eh? Was CHO scrutinised by the press? Like, at all? When the story broke out, nearly every one defended him as innocent until proven guilty. 

The only criticism was that he was inviting women to his house when the entire country was in quarantine. Should he not be criticised for that?

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire Given Suspended Sentence For Assault & Bribery
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So if he can pay a fine instead of serve his sentence... isn’t that just a roundabout way of accepting his bribe?

It's not a fine though, or is it?

It's a suspended sentence for 21 months. Not seen a fine mentioned?

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's not a fine though, or is it?

It's a suspended sentence for 21 months. Not seen a fine mentioned?

Yeah my bad, I read something that was from a shit source speculating what his sentence could be even though he’d been sentenced xD

Don't know if anyone saw it but he gave an exclusive interview on the BBC last night.

Can watch it here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53941208

He seemed very emotional, close to tears. He's clearly not an actor, you can tell he's been shook up by the whole thing.

I stand by what I said 100% earlier in the thread. There was something off about all this, unanswered gaps in the story from the greek police and it has felt like he's been thrown under a bus.

But he should never have put himself in that situation given who he is and the roles he holds in football for club and country.

Massive learning curve.

• Administrator

I have quite a bit of sympathy from Maguire here. Yes he is a footballer and yes he Put himself in a position to be targeted by some fairly unscrupulous individuals, But as a young man with plenty of money on holiday with his family after months of turmoil due to coronavirus, I think it’s perfectly fair for him to be able to go out for the night with his family and not to be targeted just because he has money. In fact I highly suspect that the police officers were trying to bribe him. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they approached him for money and told him that he would be in a whole load of shit if he didn’t pay. It has a thick stench of corruption all over it. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Batard said:

I have quite a bit of sympathy from Maguire here. Yes he is a footballer and yes he Put himself in a position to be targeted by some fairly unscrupulous individuals, But as a young man with plenty of money on holiday with his family after months of turmoil due to coronavirus, I think it’s perfectly fair for him to be able to go out for the night with his family and not to be targeted just because he has money. In fact I highly suspect that the police officers were trying to bribe him. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they approached him for money and told him that he would be in a whole load of shit if he didn’t pay. It has a thick stench of corruption all over it. 

What about the stuff with his sister though? Gets stabbed which has turned in to injected with something, then suddenly she's fine shortly after? 

The whole thing just seems a massive mess. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's the usual, foreigners are dodgy stuff. It sounds like a pack of lies to me, I can't believe the sympathy he's getting tbh. 

We've even got people trying to say the Police were trying to bribe him, with no evidence whatsoever. English people, christ. It's a PR offensive.

What exactly sounds like a pack of lies?

What we know that has been made available is very curious, an event with differing accounts made by both sides is rushed through court. This does not allow substantial time for the defence to prepare to defend their client. Evidence is declared inadmissible for unclear reasons. Whether you think he's lying or not, that doesn't sound like an innocent until proven guilty approach. That sounds like a rush towards condemnation, even if he is guilty of something, the law is supposed to be above being petty. Which in this case it somewhat does.  

56 minutes ago, Batard said:

What exactly sounds like a pack of lies?

What we know that has been made available is very curious, an event with differing accounts made by both sides is rushed through court. This does not allow substantial time for the defence to prepare to defend their client. Evidence is declared inadmissible for unclear reasons. Whether you think he's lying or not, that doesn't sound like an innocent until proven guilty approach. That sounds like a rush towards condemnation, even if he is guilty of something, the law is supposed to be above being petty. Which in this case it somewhat does.  

The English legal system is not the only legal system in the world. The whole ‘gang of Albanians’ story just sounds like someone who’s watched taken too many times. As Stan says, the story has already changed. I don’t know or really care what happens but this cultural arrogance that is must be the foreigners fault because his lip wobbled in an interview is baffling.  Greece is not a tinpot dictatorship. To accuse the police of criminal activity with no evidence whatsoever is very strange.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The English legal system is not the only legal system in the world. The whole ‘gang of Albanians’ story just sounds like someone who’s watched taken too many times. As Stan says, the story has already changed. I don’t know or really care what happens but this cultural arrogance that is must be the foreigners fault because his lip wobbled in an interview is baffling.  Greece is not a tinpot dictatorship. To accuse the police of criminal activity with no evidence whatsoever is very strange.

There are inconsistencies on both sides and it's worth noting, Greece does have issues with corruption. That's not to suggest it's a tinpot dictatorship but I wouldn't be easily swayed into believing either story so readily. 

Archived