• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi - To Leave Barcelona

football forum

• The topic was unlocked
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manchester City have reached an agreement with Lionel Messi over a move to the Etihad Stadium, according to reports.

The Barcelona superstar dropped a bombshell earlier in the week as he told the Nou Camp club he wants to leave.

City are one of the few clubs that could afford the Argentina international and MEN Sport understands the Blues have always felt they would be in a strong position to land Messi if he ever did decide to leave Barcelona.

Reports suggested that Pep Guardiola could include Riyad Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus or Bernardo Silva in a deal for Messi but MEN Sport understands those claims are wide of the mark.

Argentine journalist Vero Brunati reports City have already reached an agreement with Messi over personal terms.

She tweeted: "#City and #Messi they already have agreement in numbers." She also added that Messi will soon make a public announcement over his future where he will officially confirm his Barcelona exit.

Arsenal will do everything to sign transfer targets

"Here's what happened," Soria said during an appearance on the Spanish TV program “El Chiringuito de Jugones.” “Last Tuesday, once Messi had decided to leave Barcelona, his first thought was Manchester City and to speak to [Pep] Guardiola. The call happened, and Messi said to Pep: 'I want to win the next two Ballon d'Or awards, and I can only do that with you.' This is the killer phrase that Messi used.”

7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

"Here's what happened," Soria said during an appearance on the Spanish TV program “El Chiringuito de Jugones.” “Last Tuesday, once Messi had decided to leave Barcelona, his first thought was Manchester City and to speak to [Pep] Guardiola. The call happened, and Messi said to Pep: 'I want to win the next two Ballon d'Or awards, and I can only do that with you.' This is the killer phrase that Messi used.”

Sounds like he's trying to get Pep to move to a club where that could happen :ph34r:

Barcelona returns from vacation tomorrow to start their preparation for the new season and Messi has told the club he won't be present.

Over the years, so many players have rebelled against their clubs to join Barcelona, so I guess Barça deserves to taste this as well.

52 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Barcelona returns from vacation tomorrow to start their preparation for the new season and Messi has told the club he won't be present.

Over the years, so many players have rebelled against their clubs to join Barcelona, so I guess Barça deserves to taste this as well.

If players from other clubs act like twats to force a move to Barça(or any other club) that's not the fault of the fans though, which is who will feel the most fucked over. The way to do it is more professionally, rather than by fax also. He should be sorting whatever out with the club, then addressing the fans, considering how he's not some normal player at the club who comes and goes. 

I would say though that I respect his decision (even though I'd rather see him retire at Barcelona) as Barcelona are now going through a transition period, and a player who is 33, but still with plenty left to offer, can't really be blamed for wanting a change of scenery and chance to win new trophies before hanging up his boots. After literally dragging the team in recent years, he probably feels as though he can't do much more. It's probably the best for all as the club need to move on and rebuild from Messi at some point and he can't always be relied on.

But he shouldn't leave on a sour note, however disastrous the current board are. There needs to be some common ground. He should be more professional and stop behaving like Neymar is criticised for. But at the same time the board should respect his decision to leave and allow him to go for a reasonable price as he's given many great years to the club.

44 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

If players from other clubs act like twats to force a move to Barça(or any other club) that's not the fault of the fans though, which is who will feel the most fucked over. The way to do it is more professionally, rather than by fax also. He should be sorting whatever out with the club, then addressing the fans, considering how he's not some normal player at the club who comes and goes. 

I would say though that I respect his decision (even though I'd rather see him retire at Barcelona) as Barcelona are now going through a transition period, and a player who is 33, but still with plenty left to offer, can't really be blamed for wanting a change of scenery and chance to win new trophies before hanging up his boots. After literally dragging the team in recent years, he probably feels as though he can't do much more. It's probably the best for all as the club need to move on and rebuild from Messi at some point and he can't always be relied on.

But he shouldn't leave on a sour note, however disastrous the current board are. There needs to be some common ground. He should be more professional and stop behaving like Neymar is criticised for. But at the same time the board should respect his decision to leave and allow him to go for a reasonable price as he's given many great years to the club.

I agree that Barcelona fans don't deserve to experience an ugly divorce between Messi and the club, but the board definitely does to be honest.

With City's lawyers now examining the clause in Messi's contract that gives them hope they can sign the Argentine for free, beleaguered Barca bosses hope that the Blues will agree to a players-plus-cash deal rather than take a £630million gamble in court.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands that both clubs believe Messi is bound for the Etihad.

And that the only detail that remains is whether Messi signs for City with Barcelona's blessing - or the terms of the most controversial transfer in football history are decided by either FIFA or the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Messi has told the Catalan giants that he is leaving the Nou Camp – and he wants to link up again with Pep Guardiola at the Etihad.

In another revealing twist to the tale, Bartomeu has now sacked Barcelona's legal team at the Cuatrecasas law firm after discovering they had also advised Messi that he is within his rights to quit the club. :4_joy::8_laughing:

It has been reported in Argentina that Messi's father. Jorge, will arrive in Spain on Sunday in a bid to resolve the situation and secure Messi's departure to City.

Messi has informed Barcelona that he will NOT be reporting to the club for Covid-19 testing on Sunday.

Paris St Germain stars Neymar and Angel Di Maria have tried to persuade Messi to join them – and the French club have even offered to beat the wage package City have tabled.

Juventus and Inter Milan both want to take the forward to Italy.

But it now seems a question of when the 'Welcome to Manchester' posters will be put up for Messi.

9 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Argentinian sports network TyC found a footage from last year in that Bartomeu clearly states that Messi can leave for free in the last year of contract. 

After all, it seems Messi was right all along.

Worse case he could buy his final year out for 52million

, Messi believes that his contract with Barça has now expired and that he’s a free agent.

Spanish journalist Guillem Balague has described the relegation as a “new extraordinary twist”, adding: “As told by El Larguero, the €700m buy out clause DOES NOT exist in last season's contract (and the club had not realised?).

“Messi won't go to squad's PCR test tomorrow Sunday as going would go against his interpretation of contract -that he is free.”

• The topic was locked

Archived